Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
KAC is good to go however their prices are freaking unrealistic. I think I saw a castle nut and backing plate for 95 bucks. There is a point where quality commands a price but ain't nothing that damn good. A gas tube for 57 bucks,ambi charging handle ( not even NiB coated ) 160. Oh the one that really got me was the bolt carrier repair kit 140 bucks. LOL I am not the one. I can get a titanium firing pin for 24 and all the other parts it has in it from BCM for 50 bucks.

I am sorry but a little price hike for being good well that's ok. I can not patronize a place that sucks their customers dry just to have a gun with KAC on the side.

I AM NOT THE ONE!

So does that mean that you aren't interested in @NWS's KAC lower that he offered you in your WTB ad?

https://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/high-line-stripped-lower.20272/#post-386297

Maybe you could get a good deal from him and then you could be the one!

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
KAC maintains some crazy tight tolerances. On their carbines, where they make the receiver, receiver end plate, castle nut, and receiver extension tube, there isn’t even a provision to stake said castle nut. This isn’t for the same reason that Anderson doesn’t provide it; Anderson just doesn’t know any better, or they don’t care. In KAC’s case, the tolerances are so tight that the castle nut WILL NOT back off.

62941862-B27C-47D7-8AD1-75738EBB4A24.jpeg

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
KAC maintains some crazy tight tolerances. On their carbines, where they make the receiver, receiver end plate, castle nut, and receiver extension tube, there isn’t even a provision to stake said castle nut. This isn’t for the same reason that Anderson doesn’t provide it; Anderson just doesn’t know any better, or they don’t care. In KAC’s case, the tolerances are so tight that the castle nut WILL NOT back off.

View attachment 43594

Am I looking at this right- there's not enough thread on the buffer tube for it to fully unthread?

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
So does that mean that you aren't interested in @NWS's KAC lower that he offered you in your WTB ad?

https://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/high-line-stripped-lower.20272/#post-386297

Maybe you could get a good deal from him and then you could be the one!
Affirmative! I told him I am interested but if I bought it I would be broke for the next two weeks. 200 is the exact amount ( with some loose and random bills in the wallet ) Is what I had at that second. I walked out on a limb buying the DD Upper. I told him that if it is still there at the beginning of next month I would probably take. I stretched myself then by making that purchase. It was to good to pas up,

Reactions: BangBang

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Affirmative! I told him I am interested but if I bought it I would be broke for the next two weeks. 200 is the exact amount ( with some loose and random bills in the wallet ) Is what I had at that second. I walked out on a limb buying the DD Upper. I told him that if it is still there at the beginning of next month I would probably take. I stretched myself then by making that purchase. It was to good to pas up,
They are $210/$215 all over the internet. Bought one from these guys a couple years ago for $175.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...22360-sr-15-stripped-lower-receiver-non-ambi/

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
That's a great deal but you know I have to check the fit first. It doesn't matter how good of a deal if it doesn't fit great. That's the heart and soul that provides a stable platform for the gun it's doesn't have to look good, they don't have to be expensive. They just have to fit good. Solid. It's the corner stone of the build.

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
Now don't get me wrong. The trigger, BCG and the barrel are what make or break the gun accuracy wise. I unlike so many believe that a good snug fit between receivers is essential. It can be the plainest looking set of receivers there is but they to fit good together. Once you get the fit down the aesthetics way back on the list. Most guy are looking for looks and sling it together. Fit is first and foremost for me and then I will decide if I can live with the looks and some of these ridiculous manufacturers stamp.

BangBang

Apprentice to master AR builder Greg Vess
Aug 26, 2018
Danielsville
Zip code
Now don't get me wrong. The trigger, BCG and the barrel are what make or break the gun accuracy wise. I unlike so many believe that a good snug fit between receivers is essential. It can be the plainest looking set of receivers there is but they to fit good together. Once you get the fit down the aesthetics way back on the list. Most guy are looking for looks and sling it together. Fit is first and foremost for me and then I will decide if I can live with the looks and some of these ridiculous manufacturers stamp.
So you can’t order your receivers online then can you?

BangBang

Apprentice to master AR builder Greg Vess
Aug 26, 2018
Danielsville
Zip code
Yeah but you can't check the fit first.
That’s why I figured you wouldn’t order online. Because there’s no way to check the fit.

I know for a fact that you’d be fine ordering Mega Arms stuff online because they fit together perfectly.

You’d probably be fine ordering Zev AR receivers too since they are made by Mega

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
David Tubb made the comment several years ago at the Masters that he tried to eliminate all play between the upper and lower and the result was reduced accuracy. There isn’t much about accuracy that David Tubb doesn’t know.

I’ve never seen anyone be able to prove any appreciable difference in accuracy when tightening the upper and lower receiver on an AR. An AR isn’t like a bolt action, where you bed the action to keep it rock solid. All AR’s have some amount of movement between the receivers, otherwise you couldn’t disassemble and reassemble without a pry bar and a hammer. I would be more concerned about the fit of the barrel into the upper receiver than how the upper and the lower fit together. BCM makes their uppers where you have to heat the receiver before the barrel will fit. I do like that, although I don’t consider it a deal breaker.

Scope mount an AR and then swap the upper around from one lower receiver to another. Guess what? Still hits in the exact same spot and the dope for all ranges remains the same. If upper and lower fit were that critical, this would not be possible.

Last edited:

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
To me it a personal preference. If I picked up a bolt action and it rattled I wouldn't buy it. It strictly a personal preference thing. I am particular about certain things and that is one of them. To each his own.

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
It's usually at the front take down lug is way off is when it really peaves me. I can not stand that back and forth movement. To me it's the sigh of a good rifle, if the company can't get the fit right there what else can't the get right.