Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
How are you & your bride doing after getting hit @Balthaz? What's the condition of your bike?

Me and wife are on our 3rd Doctors visit today and will be at a Motorcycle attorney tomorrow.
We are Sore as hell but again we are Alive.
Bike is still in Maryville Tennessee at the Harley shop and the estimate is at 3k and rising for the repair.
Will know more later today hopefully.

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
Me and wife are on our 3rd Doctors visit today and will be at a Motorcycle attorney tomorrow.
Bike is still in Maryville Tennessee at the Harley shop and the estimate is at 3k and rising for the repair.
Praying for you guys. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
really? 14" might as well go rifle only 2 inches off
10.5 is minimum length, with a pistol length gas tube. Still expect fireballs, and possibly the bolt outrunning the magazine (failure to feed), unless you reduce the gas port size and/or add a heavy buffer and/or spring. Gotta slow that BCG down.
Mine runs like a champ with a folder on it, and I did the reduced gas port and heavy (5oz) buffer. Add a blast-forward muzzle device to help mitigate the noise. I might be selling mine soon (IF I get my can), but it’s been awesome. Check out Black River Tactical.

Now, to all those guys who said 11.5”-14”, that’s fine, but I wanted to conceal in an EDC backpack. And I do. And they’re welcome to try mine out anytime.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Twice a month, the farm animals usually run us 350-400/month. The dogs/cats usually run us about the same. Short story - My gun money has become animal money
Been there, done that. And every weekend was doung something for the ducks.
Miss ducks eggs, never want the expense and all the work going along with it. Plants are easier.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
12.5 at a minimum unless you are going to suppress it........or love low velocity neutered ballistics, random reliability and the occasional popped primer that locks up you trigger like somebody dumped JB Weld in the housing. 11.5 works fine I guess, but 1 additional inch of barrel will give you a pretty good boost in unsuppressed reliability, worth it to me. Remember that short barrels are hard on internals. The gas required to make things work with the short dwell time means bolt carrier assembly velocities that are on the top end of the reliability curve. That means recoil springs and hammer springs (the most overlooked spring that plays a big part in taming the over gassed system) will need to be replaced at a much shorter interval than the standard 14.5 inch carbine...around the 4000 round mark. 11.5 need to be replaced at 3500 round mark.
Simple solution: reduce the gas port. Why over-gas the mo-fo?? Enjoy making your eyes bleed?

Reactions: 3x and Jstegman1

CQB27

Kalash Klub Jumpmaster
Oct 14, 2019
Rome
A little confused on all this 10.5" barrel bashing. Within 50 yards it will still have enough velocity and that's the intended use of the weapon. Were the people that designed the MK18 idiots or something?
It's not that simple, and I'm definitely not bashing 10.5 inch barrels or shorter barrels. They just don't perform as well as longer barrels and the trade off in performance for 3 inches of barrel length might not be worth while to some of us who use the rifle defensively.

The people who use the MK18 quickly switched to 77 grain 5.56 because they quickly found 62/55 grain ammo wounding is marginal (no yaw/fragmentation) , even at close quarters and over penetrates as a result (not much of a military worry in a non-permissive environment). The beauty of 5.56 at higher velocities in self defense at close quarters is Yaw = grenade like fragmentation, especially with M193, that ensures that bullet fragments that exit the body are non lethal to anyone else. That little plus is also why there was a dramatic shift in the military and LE in the mid 90's away from 9mm sub guns as entry weapons. CQ users dropped the 9mm sub gun almost over night due to over penetration. As a matter of fact M193 at 3000fps is less of an over penetrator than a lot of self defense hand gun ammo launched out of 4 inch pistol barrels...different topic/different day. Both M193 and M855 in 10.5 inch barrels exit the barrel at the bottom end of the fragmentation velocity. The minimum fragmentation velocity of M193 is 2700 fps....to insure over penetration isn't a worry at CQ it needs to be above 3000 fps to achieve that. For M855 2900 fps is the over penetration no worries range. Both of those rounds exit the 10.whatever inch barrel below the optimal fragmentation range and will over penetrate....like through rooms in your house over penetrate. Just something to consider when thinking of short barreled 5.56 platforms.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code

Dang I didn’t know .. missed the post. I hope you both get better soon man and the lawyer sorts everything out for ya. Prayers sent

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It's not that simple, and I'm definitely not bashing 10.5 inch barrels or shorter barrels. They just don't perform as well as longer barrels and the trade off in performance for 3 inches of barrel length might not be worth while to some of us who use the rifle defensively.

The people who use the MK18 quickly switched to 77 grain 5.56 because they quickly found 62/55 grain ammo wounding is marginal (no yaw/fragmentation) , even at close quarters and over penetrates as a result (not much of a military worry in a non-permissive environment). The beauty of 5.56 at higher velocities in self defense at close quarters is Yaw = grenade like fragmentation, especially with M193, that ensures that bullet fragments that exit the body are non lethal to anyone else. That little plus is also why there was a dramatic shift in the military and LE in the mid 90's away from 9mm sub guns as entry weapons. CQ users dropped the 9mm sub gun almost over night due to over penetration. As a matter of fact M193 at 3000fps is less of an over penetrator than a lot of self defense hand gun ammo launched out of 4 inch pistol barrels...different topic/different day. Both M193 and M855 in 10.5 inch barrels exit the barrel at the bottom end of the fragmentation velocity. The minimum fragmentation velocity of M193 is 2700 fps....to insure over penetration isn't a worry at CQ it needs to be above 3000 fps to achieve that. For M855 2900 fps is the over penetration no worries range. Both of those rounds exit the 10.whatever inch barrel below the optimal fragmentation range and will over penetrate....like through rooms in your house over penetrate. Just something to consider when thinking of short barreled 5.56 platforms.
BuT EnGiNeErS

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code

This stuff gets complicated to my simple mind. I may pm you directly if need info when I finally decide to put something on my orphaned (pistol) lower.
Back to my transcon in progress.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Not all engineers design optimally, apparently, except you of course
I dont design shit, I pick apart the work of others...so in my professional opinion 10.3 is dumb and right out. 11.5 provides a myriad of benefits over 10.5 for minimal increase in OAL.

Real talk though, just because a certain design is what made it to production doesnt mean that's what the optimal design is. Cars are a great example of this

AC-130 Above

WTB: SVT-40
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Newnan
Zip code
10.5 is minimum length, with a pistol length gas tube. Still expect fireballs, and possibly the bolt outrunning the magazine (failure to feed), unless you reduce the gas port size and/or add a heavy buffer and/or spring. Gotta slow that BCG down.
Mine runs like a champ with a folder on it, and I did the reduced gas port and heavy (5oz) buffer. Add a blast-forward muzzle device to help mitigate the noise. I might be selling mine soon (IF I get my can), but it’s been awesome. Check out Black River Tactical.

Now, to all those guys who said 11.5”-14”, that’s fine, but I wanted to conceal in an EDC backpack. And I do. And they’re welcome to try mine out anytime.
Good info. Thanks!