• Wipe and sit

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Birdnest

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • eww, i'm to uppidy to use a public tiolet

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

Convoy

All American Knucklehead
Mar 23, 2020
Cherokee
If you have any cosmoline removal tips...feel free to share. Watched and read all kinds of ideas online, but I'm not trying putting the stock in the oven. Don't care that it's supposed to work well...just don't like that idea!

So far patience and mineral spirits is working.

IMAG2903 (2).jpg IMAG2905.jpg

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
If you have any cosmoline removal tips...feel free to share. Watched and read all kinds of ideas online, but I'm not trying putting the stock in the oven. Don't care that it's supposed to work well...just don't like that idea!

So far patience and mineral spirits is working.

View attachment 79601 View attachment 79602
I use kerosene because it's way fucking cheaper.
I'd take the bolt out and throw it in boiling water for a while. The cosmoline will liquify and leak out. When you pull the bolt out, the excess water should vaporize. Real clean way to do it if you have a pot you're willing to sacrifice.

Convoy

All American Knucklehead
Mar 23, 2020
Cherokee
I use kerosene because it's way fucking cheaper. I'd take the bolt out and throw it in boiling water for a while. The cosmoline will liquify and leak out. When you pull the bolt out, the excess water should vaporize. Real clean way to do it if you have a pot you're willing to sacrifice.

I read where people did that or even poured hot water down the barrel. I was trying to avoid using water on the metal and stock, but I may try that.....

Do I need to take the bolt apart? Maybe just soak in mineral spirits or boil it?

Last edited:

CQB27

Kalash Klub Jumpmaster
Oct 14, 2019
Rome
I read where people did that or even poured hot water down the barrel. I was trying to avoid using water on the metal and stock, but I may try that.....

Do I need to take the bolt apart? Or just soak in cosmo or boil it?
I would disassemble the bolt. SKSs are known for slam firing when there is crud, like old dried cosmoline, in the firing pin channel. If you decide not to disassemble the bolt make sure that rig is pointed in a safe and sound direction the first time you drop the bolt on a live round.

Convoy

All American Knucklehead
Mar 23, 2020
Cherokee
I would disassemble the bolt. SKSs are known for slam firing when there is crud, like old dried cosmoline, in the firing pin channel. If you decide not to disassemble the bolt make sure that rig is pointed in a safe and sound direction the first time you drop the bolt on a live round.

Yep...it was stuck at first, but is looser now and is not stuck out towards the chamber. I was still thinking to make sure it's clean that I would do it. Looks pretty simple based on what I have seen online. One of the reasons I got them, is to improve my skills working on them.