• Total voters

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I think I want a Yugo M48. Anything I need to look for or stay away from?

M48s are OK - But:

There are real K98s with Yugo stamps if you're patient and know what you're looking for. Compare a K98 to an M48 you'll see the handguard is shorter on K98 (better sight pic), the bolt handle is angled, not curved, and the wood id fitted much better. The M48s are chunky and fat. The wood typically is fat around the triggerguard area.

If you get hold of a Yugo K98 it will still have the Mod 98 stamped on the left side, flip up the sight and you'll probably see waffenampts the commie bastards missed when they were defacing them.

Yugo stamped K98s are typically waaayy cheaper than German marked ones, but the quality is still there.

Just my .02.

Do you plan on shooting it much?

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
at least it stopped raining

giphy.gif

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
PSA:

I bought my wife an Ikea gift card for Christmas. Drove to Dallas yesterday so she could check them out. HUGE gunbuster signs at entrance. (I may or may not have ignored these, lol)

On top of being pretty disappointing as far as cool stuff goes, I never would have bought a thing from them if I knew they hated me.

Plus side:
We ate some killer Indian food at a place called "Spice N Rice" in the Asian area. Highly recommend.

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
M48s are OK - But:

There are real K98s with Yugo stamps if you're patient and know what you're looking for. Compare a K98 to an M48 you'll see the handguard is shorter on K98 (better sight pic), the bolt handle is angled, not curved, and the wood id fitted much better. The M48s are chunky and fat. The wood typically is fat around the triggerguard area.

If you get hold of a Yugo K98 it will still have the Mod 98 stamped on the left side, flip up the sight and you'll probably see waffenampts the commie bastards missed when they were defacing them.

Yugo stamped K98s are typically waaayy cheaper than German marked ones, but the quality is still there.

Just my .02.

Do you plan on shooting it much?

Awesome info! Thanks for that!

I don't really get to go shooting a lot, so it will be something pretty to fondle a lot and shoot a little.

Big price difference between the M48 and K98? Since I'm not a collector, I'll readily admit the $400 price point for a pretty and pretty cool M48 is attractive to me.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
PSA:

I bought my wife an Ikea gift card for Christmas. Drove to Dallas yesterday so she could check them out. HUGE gunbuster signs at entrance. (I may or may not have ignored these, lol)

On top of being pretty disappointing as far as cool stuff goes, I never would have bought a thing from them if I knew they hated me.

Plus side:
We ate some killer Indian food at a place called "Spice N Rice" in the Asian area. Highly recommend.
My late wife loved Ikea. Got to know the Atlanta store pretty good. In GA those signs are suggesstions, and pics were in English, not Russian, so I could not read them. Carried every time we went.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Awesome info! Thanks for that!

I don't really get to go shooting a lot, so it will be something pretty to fondle a lot and shoot a little.

Big price difference between the M48 and K98? Since I'm not a collector, I'll readily admit the $400 price point for a pretty and pretty cool M48 is attractive to me.

Russian capture K98s with waffenampts are fetching 550-650 around here.

Yugo K98s are a little harder to find, but should be in the 400 dollar range or less. Since the commies ruined the collector value, they just don't bring a premium. If you find one, look at the sight from the front - every one I've seen have waffenampts. There's a picture of one of mine in the "bigfoot and Bakes" thread. I've killed deer, pigs, squirrels, armadillos, used it at RunNguns....it's a great all-purpose rifle. (it does remove squirrel heads, completely, lol)

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
My late wife loved Ikea. Got to know the Atlanta store pretty good. In GA those signs are suggesstions, and pics were in English, not Russian, so I could not read them. Carried every time we went.

In Dallas they are in English and Spanish. Also in Texas, violation of the gunbuster is breaking the law, not just a "get asked to leave" suggestion. Oklahoma is much superior to Texas in this and many other ways.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
$400 fair for a nice one? I notice the one I posted is an M48A, are there other variants? I haven't Googled yet but I know you and some others in here know y'alls milsurp stuff...
I think $400 is too much... If you have your heart set on an M48, find a Cherry's Import as those are usually high quality. I think $350 is maxed out for one of those.
You might want to consider the earlier M24/47 as well. Generally those are a wee bit cheaper and I feel like the actions are much smoother.

Nothing wrong with a Yugo capture K98k and I think that would be $400 well spent. German quality (especially if early war parts) and without the premium cost. They are a little harder to find and pry away from their owners.

If you just want to plink 8mm, any of those will do and are fine choices.