Howard Law

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
That's one of the reasons I think I'm gonna go with a PL MINI....and the mini has built in batteries with a magnetic charge cable so you don't have to take the light off to charge. You can just throw the gun on the nightstand and charge it and it's ready to go should you need it quick .
The built-in charger would make it more attractive to me.

As for the lumens, let's not get it too twisted; the beam's focus plays just as much of a role, if not more than, the overall lumens. You could have a torch putting out 1500 "diffused" lumens, but focus that same beam and you end up blinding not only the intruder, but yourself as well...

This is where meters-of-throw comes into play

Reactions: 1776

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
For size reference: Snapped a pic of the Streamlight TLR-4 Vs the Olight PL-2 on a carry-length....

20180426_233702.jpg

While the StreamLight TLR-4 has both light and laser, the dismal 125 lumens has nothing on the 1200 lumen Olight.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Posting up additional info on some recently delivered Olight products:

Retrieved from the mailbox today (I ordered on 4/13, shipping label shows it shipped 4/23, I rcvd a day or 2 later I think (I was out of town).

View attachment 37925

Some quick initial impressions and comparisons .... FWIW:

View attachment 37924

Top to bottom:
1. ZanFlare (That @Hayata turned me onto) - 1240 claimed lumens - listed here on Amazon for $36 ... so far, it's been holding up nicely, but has not seen any moisture or heavy-duty use to-date.

2. Fenix PD35 (2014 edition)- 960 lumens - been to hell and back as my EDC

3. Olight S30R Baton III - 1050 Lumens - nice and compact, but the circuitry requires multiple clicks to hit certain modes.

4. Recently purchased Olight MR2 Warrior - 1500 Lumens - untested as of yet, see below:

5. Recently purchased Olight PL-2 Valkyrie weapon light - 1200 Lumens - see info below...

6. Free with recent purchase Olight H1 Nova Head lamp - 500 lumens - see info below

Comments & comparisons:

I caught the Olight flash sale for the PL-2 Valkyrie (Thanks to @dial1911) when shopping for a M2R Warrior; as part of the order, I received a H1 Nova for free due to the flash-sale promotion.

The PL-2 Valkyrie was recently reviewed by @SouthernSlammed here, I don't have much to add other than to say that:
1. It ships with 2 standard CR123A batteries (but RCR123A rechargeables are available in 2 versions from Olight).
2. There is no onboard / quick charging - if you elect to use rechargeable, you have to remove the batteries for charging.
3. The only dislike I have is that you have to depress both the left and right switches of the unit simultaneously to activate the strobe function (no one-hand activation).
4. No remote pressure-switch available (Olight does market a pressure switch add-on for their single-cell lights, but not for the Valkyrie models)

Other than that, the 1200 lumen claim seems about right when compared to several of my other beams in the 900-1500 lumen range.

Next up, the MR2 Warrior, 1500 claimed lumens, a little shorter than my PD35, but just a hair larger in circumference. My biggest complaint is the circuitry (requiring extra clicks to hit certain modes with 2 buttons - see pic below referencing mode toggling).

While I haven't had a chance to take it out to test its beam/throw compared to other lights, it only seems marginally brighter indoors during quick comparisons (certainly not significantly / 500 lumens brighter by any means).

View attachment 37928

Lastly, the free H1 Nova; well ... it was free, so I can't complain much; the 500 lumens seems about right based on the diffused lens it uses, and if you're up underneath a car or doing up-close work, the diffused beam is good. It's Small and light-weight, fully adjustable and also comes with a clip so you can take it out of the head band and use it as a mini pocket torch.

My only complaint is that it comes standard with CR123a's, however, you can purchase the rechargeable RCR123a's or the Olight "rechargeable kit" for this unit, which is nice ..... wish they offered something similar for the PL-2 Valkyrie, but I digress...

In summation, Olight does make some good stuff, but their circuitry requires additional clicks to get through the programmed modes, IE: find "turbo" or "strobe" and other settings. To be fair, the ZanFlare also requires extra clicks .... I guess I've just been spoiled by Fenix with their one-touch full mode.

Anyway, hope that info helps.

Best regards,
THE complexity of the button functions to me would be s big turnoff and would be like the guy who knew karate but got his was whooped taking of his socks and shoes! The BG would have shot ya long before you got it turned on in the right more. Those of us that suffer from CRS need a simple button push or toggle switch on a weapon light!

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
THE complexity of the button functions to me would be s big turnoff and would be like the guy who knew karate but got his was whooped taking of his socks and shoes! The BG would have shot ya long before you got it turned on in the right more. Those of us that suffer from CRS need a simple button push or toggle switch on a weapon light!
And therein lies the rub, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, great, you made a flashlight with leading edge tech, but to get to the function you want, you have to click the bottom, while holding down the side and click your heels 2 times while patting your stomach all while standing on 1 leg

Reactions: Mac11FA

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Gentleman, it is a sad sad day...I've officially lost my favorite EDC torch...a stream light mini. I'm sure it will be found by the lawnmower one day, somewhere on my friends farm. But, after four years of good service, I have no choice but to buy another of the best $16 pocket lights money can get you. RIP my comfortable to carry, verstile, tough-as-nails little friend.
IMG_20171009_220158.jpg

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Ran into a guy with one of these at the job, figured I'd order one and see how it holds up compared to Olight and Fenix.

ZebraLight SC600W Mk IV plus, 2300 lumens out of a single non-protected 18650 HO battery means it will get hot quick, but I usually only need that level of intensity for a minute or two at a time

thumbnail.asp

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Ran into a guy with one of these at the job, figured I'd order one and see how it holds up compared to Olight and Fenix.

ZebraLight SC600W Mk IV plus, 2300 lumens out of a single non-protected 18650 HO battery means it will get hot quick, but I usually only need that level of intensity for a minute or two at a time

thumbnail.asp

That is probably one feature I like with Olight, that they step down power.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
So the ZebraLight was waiting on me in the mailbox, holy shitballs is it bright! ... and only 3.8" long (body diameter about 1", head diameter is 1.2" though, about .20" larger than standard)

Comparison:
20180904_195801.jpg

I didn't have any high-drain batteries charged up, but tried it out with a regular 18650, she puts out some serious light

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
That is probably one feature I like with Olight, that they step down power.
He needs that extra high power when walking in his basement so he dont step on no dead hookers. Since they are 3 deep the extra bright beam helps in distinguishing decomp from dirt floor!

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
So the ZebraLight was waiting on me in the mailbox, holy shitballs is it bright! ... and only 3.8" long (body diameter about 1", head diameter is 1.2" though, about .20" larger than standard)

Comparison:
View attachment 41732

I didn't have any high-drain batteries charged up, but tried it out with a regular 18650, she puts out some serious light

Damn, and I thought that my M2R Warrior was thick. IDK if I could carry that ZebraLight. Would you say that the advertised 2,300 lumens is close to being correct?

I've been rocking my little S1R Baton 90% of the time recently with my M2R Warrior in my pack in the front floorboard for when I need all da lumenz!

SmartSelect_20180825-102301_Instagram.jpg

I really like this little I3T EOS as well. It's the perfect little light for my range bag and the perfect little light to clip to the bill of my hat when I'm working on something and don't want to drain my S1R or don't need a ton of light.

Screenshot_20180904-205200_Gallery.jpg

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

Comparison:
View attachment 41732

Oh, and also, how do you like that Fenix D35? What's the lumen output on that one(I'm too lazy to Google it right now)?

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Damn, and I thought that my M2R Warrior was thick. IDK if I could carry that ZebraLight. Would you say that the advertised 2,300 lumens is close to being correct?

I've been rocking my little S1R Baton 90% of the time recently with my M2R Warrior in my pack in the front floorboard for when I need all da lumenz!

View attachment 41739

I really like this little I3T EOS as well. It's the perfect little light for my range bag and the perfect little light to clip to the bill of my hat when I'm working on something and don't want to drain my S1R or don't need a ton of light.

View attachment 41740

So the Zebra is about the same as the M2R at its thickest portion ... the Zebra's head is the widest point whereas the widest portion on the M2R is at the switch / heat sync fins behind the head ... add in the clip and the M2R is wider than the ZebraLight

I haven't run it on a high drain batt yet, but there are several threads over on CandlePower forum where the guys tested with meters and were getting above 2300Lm.

I guess it all depends if you want throw or flood, this seems to be a decent mix with good neutral color output. Not as focused, but not a flood. I'll try to get some pics later to compare.

Oh, and also, how do you like that Fenix D35? What's the lumen output on that one(I'm too lazy to Google it right now)?

That PD35 is the older one rated at 960 Lumens and has been beat to hell and back; their newest one is 1050 lumens I believe, throw is about the same.

Reactions: Jake

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
The ZebraLight is running a much larger LED ... a Cree XHP50.2 neutral white @ ~ 4500K

The MR2 runs a Cree XPH 35 HD, not sure the color temp, but way above 4500K

20180904_211505.jpg

Reactions: dial1911 and Jake

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Would you say that the advertised 2,300 lumens is close to being correct?

Just got a chance to upload the pics from earlier last night .... Here is the best I could do to show a side-by-side comparison, take it for whatever it's worth...

All pics taken from my S8+ with no editing / adjustment; I tried to frame all pics from the same spot (at the end of my driveway using the manhole cover in the street as the focal point - two pics per light.) The manhole cover is 60' away (~ 18 meters).

1st pic with hotspot of the beam pointed directly at the manhole cover.

2nd pic with lowest portion of the flood part of the beam on the manhole cover.

Yeah, I know, nowhere near scientific, light not hard-mounted on stable surface, no control reference, no measuring device (I'm too cheap to go out and buy a lux meter) ... but if that's the level pf sophistication you wish to see, jump over to Candlepower forums and the experts there will give ya plenty to read on every beam listed ;) )

First up is the Olight PL-2 Valkyrie, new CR123A's, they claim 1200Lm.

Centered:
PL2 - 1.jpg

Lower edge of beam:
PL-2 2.jpg

Next is the Fenix PD35, believe it is a 2015 edition @ 960 lumens

Centered:
PD35 1.jpg

Lower edge of beam:
PD35 2.jpg

Next is the Olight M2R Warrior, 1500 claimed lumens:

Centered:
M2 Warrior 1.jpg

Lower edge of beam ... hard to tell since it's pretty diffused
M2R warrior 2.jpg

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Lastly, the ZebraLight SC600W IV plus, claimed at 2300Lm

Centered:
ZebraLight SC600w IV plus.jpg

Lower edge of beam:
ZevraLight SC600w IV plus 2.jpg

Again, hard to tell since the beam is as diffused as it is....