Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
View attachment 32747
Had to gather mine up for a photo today. The ProTac 2L is my EDC, but it’s crapped out. The 2L-X is brighter and will take an 18650, but it’s just a bit too bulky in my pocket. It stays on the night stand. The mag-lite stays in my desk at work. The Smith & Wesson and the Stanley stay in my truck and the Tascos are stashed around the house. Sams had 3 packs for $20 a while back so I bought a bunch of them. Great bang for your buck.The Stanley was a gift, it’s 1,000 lumens and has a USB port, which I guess is kinda cool. And it will strobe S.O.S. Continuously which will probably come in handy never.

Forgot about this flickering piece of shit. It’s perfect size for edc in the pocket. Too bad it’s a piece of shit.

Did I mention it’s shit?
View attachment 32749
So how is the 5.11? :boink:

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
View attachment 32747
Had to gather mine up for a photo today. The ProTac 2L is my EDC, but it’s crapped out. The 2L-X is brighter and will take an 18650, but it’s just a bit too bulky in my pocket. It stays on the night stand. The mag-lite stays in my desk at work. The Smith & Wesson and the Stanley stay in my truck and the Tascos are stashed around the house. Sams had 3 packs for $20 a while back so I bought a bunch of them. Great bang for your buck.The Stanley was a gift, it’s 1,000 lumens and has a USB port, which I guess is kinda cool. And it will strobe S.O.S. Continuously which will probably come in handy never.

Forgot about this flickering piece of shit. It’s perfect size for edc in the pocket. Too bad it’s a piece of shit.

Did I mention it’s shit?
View attachment 32749
The best pen sized light I’ve found is the Streamlight Stylus Pro. I found two over the years and loved them. Bright for the size. Rugged (one was found in the road after obviously being ran over multiple times) decent battery life. All around impressed. I still prefer my 1L-1AA though.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
View attachment 32747

Did I mention it’s shit?
View attachment 32749
5.11 has been hit or miss with me. I have 2 (both free with purchase).

The XBT A6 ( http://www.511tactical.com/xbt-a6-flashlight.html ) had an end-cap issue that if you tightened it all the way down, it would sometimes cut out. I sent a polite email to 5.11 thanking them for them free light and explained the issue. They not only sent me a rwplacement end-cap, but also another XBT A6 .... no issues since.

The other free unit, a S+R A2 (http://www.511tactical.com/sar-a2-flashlight.html ) has had no issues, but not something I'll EDC as it's too dim at 237 Lumens. It's built like a tank, but for its size, I dont understand why it's so underpowered, especially when marketed as a "Search and rescue" light.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
That microstream is my absolute favorite edc light. It is miniscule, runs at 90 lumens for a couple hours, has no variable "modes"...just on and off. Best part is the clip. It works both in pocket and on hat...

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
My latest. Truly amazing the amount of light it throws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZPT47Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm a closet flashlight nerd for sure - but like most things have a hard time affording the hobby.

61VifWV-zSL._SL1000_.jpg

So the Zanflare I ordered on the 7th was waiting for me when I returned home today.

Initial impressions: Seems like a great value for only $35.99 (including shipping), Onboard USB charging capability is a nice touch, same length as my fenix PD35 (approx 5.5") but a tad thicker in circumference. I missed the IPX-8 rating in the item description when purchasing, so that's a nice surprise.

As for the lumen rating, I'm thinking it might be a tad overrated, but will do some side-by-side comparisons with my Olight and Fenix when I get time (I'm thinking it's probably closer to around 900-1000 lumens Vs the claimed 1240, but for $36, who cares)

Appreciate the suggestgion @Hayata :thumb: :yo:

The Zanflare is on the far right

20171013_163825.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayata

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
@Hayata, have you had any encounters with rain or submerged the Zanflare to date? I only ask as upon inspecting it further, I wonder if the usb slot is water-tight after sliding the cover ring over the port. Just seems like that might be a weak point... :noidea:

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
@Hayata, have you had any encounters with rain or submerged the Zanflare to date? I only ask as upon inspecting it further, I wonder if the usb slot is water-tight after sliding the cover ring over the port. Just seems like that might be a weak point... :noidea:

I have not. I think it has been in my pocket when I've been rained on but never submerged.

What do you think of the beam? I haven't been into flashlights for some time so when I got this one it blew my socks off because of the light it throws. But what do I know?

Let me know what you think when you do a side by side at night. Oh, and I guess it is the technology but it seems to go a long time between charges but I'm not working it that hard so maybe not so good when measured against contemporaries?

Hope you enjoy it!

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I have not. I think it has been in my pocket when I've been rained on but never submerged.

What do you think of the beam? I haven't been into flashlights for some time so when I got this one it blew my socks off because of the light it throws. But what do I know?

Let me know what you think when you do a side by side at night. Oh, and I guess it is the technology but it seems to go a long time between charges but I'm not working it that hard so maybe not so good when measured against contemporaries?

Hope you enjoy it!
Hey bud, even if it's only 700 lumens, it's still a flippin steal at $36 (if it works for a while), so again, thanks for the tip!

I'll try to do some beam comparisons later tonight, but out of the box, my Olight that I had handy seemed brighter (their rating is 1050 Lumens). Again, don't really care about a handful of lumens when we're talking a price point of $36!!!

Reactions: Hayata

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
So, here is one of the Surefires that Marshall, R.I.P., sold me on years ago. I like the dual mode functionality...low (75 lumen I'm guessing bc I don't remember) is great for moving around the house in the dark...the 300 lumen high output is blinding in small spaces...I hit myself with it point blank in a hallway mirror. It's been tough, and I've only swapped batteries once in 4 years...to be sure they were fresh, not bc they were dead. One of my fondest memories of this light is showing-up my Uncle who came to camp with a "1000" lumen light he bought for $12 at harbor freight. It was three times the size and only produced half the light and half the throw distance as this GP series.
IMG_20171013_221135.jpg
And yes...the PS2 in the background is functional...if any one wondered.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
My 2 work lights. the Streamlight Nano which I bought at TruPrep (bought the wife one as well) and this Nebo Slyde+ which the boss provided us. It is interesting as it has beam out the front and then the handle slides down to reveal a row of 10 LEDs which can be exposed for as little or as much light as you want. Magnetic base makes if very handy to work with both hands. 20171014_103323[1].jpg

And Penta Water is the best water you can drink!!!

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Pulled the trigger on an Olight M2R warrior (1500 lumens @ $99) instead of the Fenix PD35 V2.0 (1000 lumens @$70) that I was planning on. I think the USB charging won me over as I've been digging the USB charging on my other Olight.

Review to follow...

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Pulled the trigger on an Olight M2R warrior (1500 lumens @ $99) instead of the Fenix PD35 V2.0 (1000 lumens @$70) that I was planning on. I think the USB charging won me over as I've been digging the USB charging on my other Olight.

Review to follow...

I think they have a "flash sale" on a weapon light tonight too- 40% off or something (didn't pay a lot of attention to the email).

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I think they have a "flash sale" on a weapon light tonight too- 40% off or something (didn't pay a lot of attention to the email).
Well damn, I got it off of Amazon since I was already ordering something else (but it was the same price as Olight's site).