Suppressed Bolt Carrier?

Howard Law

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Hodgdon has a published load using Clays, Trailboss, and Titegroup. The Titegroup load will not cycle the bolt without a can. Never tried it with one. YMMV. It will however, kill the %$^# out of an armadillo.

Reactions: chance

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Hodgdon has a published load using Clays, Trailboss, and Titegroup. The Titegroup load will not cycle the bolt without a can. Never tried it with one. YMMV. It will however, kill the %$^# out of an armadillo.

Oh yeah this uses 55 grain projectiles.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Nice!

I may have to try this one day!

Olchevy

Woodsman
Aug 11, 2015
Spalding, GA
Zip code
Jake over at Quiet Riot was saying this is really the only thing that helps a suppressed 5.56 out. Not really sure by what means though.

Olchevy

Woodsman
Aug 11, 2015
Spalding, GA
Zip code
If I remember right it's just supposed to direct extra gas out the side of the bolt through that hole instead of in your face, not make it quieter or more reliable or anything.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
It seems like am more user friendly version of the adjustable gas key.

I still prefer systems like the Noveske switch block or adjustable systems found on Adams Arms.
Similar concept, but really meant for different purposes. The adjustable gas key and adjustable gas block are really designed to "tune" the gun to run on as little gas as possible while still providing reliable cycling. They've been around for years in the competition market and recently adapted to low profile gas blocks for the Tactical crowd. Because, profit. They can be useful on barrels that have an excessive gas port size though. This was really more of a problem when carbine gas systems were more dominant and short barrels were less prevalent. Adjustable gas block and keys aren't friendly for suppressor use mainly because you have to count clicks on the block or count fractions of a turn on the key.

The switchable bolt carrier is more akin to a switchblock. It's either wide open or restricted. WAR uppers fall in the same category. These days, with better gas port sizing, enhanced carriers (LMT), A5 buffer systems, etc, a gun can easily be tuned for reliable suppressed & unsuppressed shooting without having to switch anything on or off or disassembling the gun. Theoretically, they might help with gas face, but that's just theory. I don't think they really make a huge difference, since the only time I ever really notice it is shooting indoors, which I rarely do. I've found that retarding unlocking of the bolt is just as effective and doesn't require me to turn anything on or off. It also makes for a very soft shooting, reliable gun.

With all that being said, I'd prefer that gas flow be restricted at the port, rather than at the gas key, either by an adjustable block or switchblock. I don't have quantifiable data, but it seems to me that restricting all that pressure at the carrier may create a more harsh unlocking and greater wear on parts or early failure. Just my theory though.

The gemtech carrier seems like a specific solution for a specific problem. But it won't be marketed that way. Again, because profit. The most useful scenario I could see this being used would be a drop in solution for an overgassed, suppressed carbine, when swapping other parts isn't a viable option due to cost, departmental requirements or supply chain issues. ie: LEO or military use on issued carbines with carbine gas and a barrel 14.5" or longer.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
223 subs??? does anyone make those? why not buy a 22lr and 22 can?
223 subs will generally NOT cycle the AR platform. However, the military reportedly developed a load that would, using a super heavy, elongated bullet. Last I heard, they weren't available in the civilian market and cost around $5 a round. Plenty of folks shoot them out of bolt guns though.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
223 subs will generally NOT cycle the AR platform. However, the military reportedly developed a load that would, using a super heavy, elongated bullet. Last I heard, they weren't available in the civilian market and cost around $5 a round. Plenty of folks shoot them out of bolt guns though.
100gr powdered tungsten iirc

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I use full auto bcg and the weight helps with suppressed firing.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I use full auto bcg and the weight helps with suppressed firing.
I use a combination of parts for reliable suppressed & unsuppressed shooting while also maintaining a very soft recoil impulse.

Quality barrel with a properly sized gas port
LMT enhanced carrier
Vltor A5 buffer system with either an A5H1, A5H2 or A5H3 buffer depending on the particular gun
Springco Green rifle length chrome silicon spring.

Olchevy

Woodsman
Aug 11, 2015
Spalding, GA
Zip code
Never mind they are saying it's the same dimension as the 75gr bullets just the powdered tungsten is so much more dense in that same size factor they can get up to a 105gr projectile. Seriously cool.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
The Israelis are fond of heavy, subsonic .223/5.56. You can find the stuff at gun shows if you're lucky, don't think I've ever seen it in a shop though.