• SRD762-QD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Looking for my first and hopefully only rifle can, and could use some opinions FROM PEOPLE WITH RIFLE CANS.....

Now that that is out of the way. I can see the obvious myself... I can read, believe it or not, and compare shit myself. So, I am looking for a can to suite my needs, which are:

-Quick detach
-Not totally hideous muzzle brakes
-Relatively good suppression
-Durable as all hell
-Ability to rapid fire on SBRs
-Shoot 556 ARs mostly but likely also some AKs in 762. Both of which will be SBRs and up to 16" barrels.

I have searched high and low and come up with the four posted in the poll, and with these stat comparisons that mean something to me. Stats that look appealing to me, I have highlighted in green, the bad in red.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 11.20.55 AM.png

So... Am I missing anything obvious here? Anything else I should consider? Any other cans I haven't heard of that compete with my four choices? Im leaning towards the Sandman L currently. I prefer the size/weight of the Sandman S, but the dB reduction amounts of the L are very appealing. Hell 300BLK looks like it might be backyard quiet.

Last edited:

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have heard good things about the sandman L.

I am waiting on my on the liberty chaotic to come back (hopefully this week). But I am thinking about also getting the sandman L.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Looking for my first and hopefully only rifle can, and could use some opinions FROM PEOPLE WITH RIFLE CANS.....

Now that that is out of the way. I can see the obvious myself... I can read, believe it or not, and compare shit myself. So, I am looking for a can to suite my needs, which are:

-Quick detach
-Not totally hideous muzzle brakes
-Relatively good suppression
-Durable as all hell
-Ability to rapid fire on SBRs
-Shoot 556 ARs mostly but likely also some AKs in 762. Both of which will be SBRs up to 16" barrels.

I have searched high and low and come up with the four posted in the poll, and with these stat comparisons that mean something to me. Stats that look appealing to me, I have highlighted in green, the bad in red.

View attachment 13866

So... Am I missing anything obvious here? Anything else I should consider? Any other cans I haven't heard of that compete with my four choices? Im leaning towards the Sandman L currently. I prefer the size/weight of the Sandman S, but Dead Air's inability to post dB reduction amounts scares me off a good bit.
Dead Air has dB reduction numbers.

https://www.doglegarms.com/Dead-Air-Sandman-S-p/da-s.htm

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I have heard good things about the sandman L.

I am waiting on my on the liberty chaotic to come back (hopefully this week). But I am thinking about also getting the sandman L.
Yeah I've been on the lookout for a Sandman S and in my waiting time of trying to find one have been researching a lot and the L is looking possibly more appealing. Not sure but the 2" and couple ounces might be worth the extra suppression. Not 100% sure what 4-5 db difference sounds like to the shooter and also down range.

Sent from your moms couch using her iPhone

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Yeah I've been on the lookout for a Sandman S and in my waiting time of trying to find one have been researching a lot and the L is looking possibly more appealing. Not sure but the 2" and couple ounces might be worth the extra suppression. Not 100% sure what 4-5 db difference sounds like to the shooter and also down range.

Sent from your moms couch using her iPhone
That's the only thing is the extra length and weight. It all depends on what rifle you will be putting it on. Will that extra be to much for you. The other thing to consider is the cost difference between the S and L. From what I remember the S is significantly more than the L, not sure if that is a factor for you. The best thing about the sandman series though is the mount, one of the many reasons it is on my list.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
That's the only thing is the extra length and weight. It all depends on what rifle you will be putting it on. Will that extra be to much for you. The other thing to consider is the cost difference between the S and L. From what I remember the S is significantly more than the L, not sure if that is a factor for you. The best thing about the sandman series though is the mount, one of the many reasons it is on my list.
Well and suppression ability. (I updated the OG post and chart with the db reductions for all 3 calibers for the S and L thanks the @DoglegArms link). It will be mostly on a 16" 556 AR, a 8-10" 300BLK AR and a 10-12" 556 AR, the two latters I have yet to build but will prior to July 13th. I could see either being kinda crappy on the 16" really. Also, according to everywhere I see online the S is about a hundred bucks cheaper than the L. See my chart, last row.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Too many choices. Some I've been thinking
GA Optimus or Reece
Rugged Surge
AAC 762 sdn6
YHM Phantom
SiCo Omega or Harvester

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
@DoglegArms do you still have that Sandman-L? I bet he would make you a hell of a deal on it.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Have you looked at the Rugged Surge or Rugged Razor?
All I can say is WOW! This rugged surge looks great so far. Its modular from 7.5"-9" ann 17.5oz to 21.5ox respectively. It has a QD system with decent looking brakes too. Finally their lifetime warranty is, "If something happens to your Surge 762—say you drop it from a mountaintop—we’ll fix it or replace it free of charge. Look all over this website and you’ll see no small legal type."

I might be looking for this instead, depending on what the reduction levels look like, which I cant find yet...

Reactions: Red Dawn

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
All I can say is WOW! This rugged surge looks great so far. Its modular from 7.5"-9" ann 17.5oz to 21.5ox respectively. It has a QD system with decent looking brakes too. Finally their lifetime warranty is, "If something happens to your Surge 762—say you drop it from a mountaintop—we’ll fix it or replace it free of charge. Look all over this website and you’ll see no small legal type."

I might be looking for this instead, depending on what the reduction levels look like, which I cant find yet...
If I was gonna get another 30 cal can this would be it. I am looking for a .45 can and I really want the Rugged obsidian but I cant find it in stock anywhere......@Doglegarms

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
If I was gonna get another 30 cal can this would be it. I am looking for a .45 can and I really want the Rugged obsidian but I cant find it in stock anywhere......@Doglegarms
Yeah it seems like RIGHT up my alley. Especially with the modular system to remove that extra length when/if I dont want it. Cant believe this can didnt come up in my searches.

Thank you sir.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
No love for the SDN-6?

You can get them for $499, add on another $50-$80 for a MD and they are still pretty cheap. Full auto rated and fits all of your requirement. They are pretty darn quiet, even with XM193 (IMHO).

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
No love for the SDN-6?

You can get them for $499, add on another $50-$80 for a MD and they are still pretty cheap. Full auto rated and fits all of your requirement. They are pretty darn quiet, even with XM193 (IMHO).
Never heard good things about them really. And whats the diff between that and the 762-SD?

I have always read they tear up on the part where metal touches metal ratcheting portion and become unusable. If this has been remedied id get two for the cost of one sandman lol...

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Never heard good things about them really. And whats the diff between that and the 762-SD?

I have always read they tear up on the part where metal touches metal ratcheting portion and become unusable. If this has been remedied id get two for the cost of one sandman lol...
Not 100% sure about the major differences over the SDN-6 other that the SDN-6 being just 7.6" vs 9". The ratchet system can wear out, but if you hold the tab down while tightening it up, the teeth wont wear out, same goes for spinning it off. I see the guys that just whiz it on have the worst looking sets of teeth on the ratchet portion. For the most part though, customer service seems to be descent though for replacing damaged/worn components.