POLL: When will the ammo shortage end?

Howard Law
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Well the ammo shortage has certainly not ended here but I did just buy 500 Thunderbolt .22 long rifle for $48 at LGS. Is that too high? IMO, yes it is. I never dreamed I would pay a dime a round for .22 ammo and be glad I found it.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Not ripped off when it is not available. I have seen .22 ammo twice in a retail location since Newtown. TWICE, as in two more times than zero. Both times it was about 10 cents per round and one of those time it was .22 longs not long rifle. I wish I lived in the land of plenty but apparently .22 ammo is everywhere but Indiana. Here is how much .22 long rifle I have seen in the retail stores in central Indiana in nearly a year...........NONE. ZERO. NO .22 LONG RIFLE. ZIP. NADA. NONE TO BE FOUND.

I don't think you guys really get it. There is no .22 long rifle here to be found. Oh wait. I did see CCI Standard Velocity at Gander Mountain about a week ago for 14 or 15 cents per round. They had a total of 300 rounds with absolutely no limit! WOOOHOOO!

I

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
What somebody paid in South Carolina just doesn't really help me in Indiana. I just can't make the drive.

And yes. My attitude on the rimfire ammo situation is pretty bad.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
bigdogdaddy said:
What somebody paid in South Carolina just doesn't really help me in Indiana. I just can't make the drive.

And yes. My attitude on the rimfire ammo situation is pretty bad.

Totally understandable. During the last drought I had guns that I couldn't shoot, no ammo. I passed the first time on a great deal on the Ruger LCP because I couldn't get the ammo. A few days later I found some at a ridiculous price and ran into scroungers who were just crazy with their prices.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
When I tell people that I see no .22 long rifle for sale.........period..........at any price in retail stores I think some believe I am saying none for effect. No.......I mean ZERO .22 long rifle. On armslist they are selling it for 15 - 20 cents per round. Crazy and maddening.

I

iacountryboy

I know exactly what you mean. I make the rounds at least once every two weeks and switch days and go different times of the day. It's been two months since I was "allowed" to purchase two 50 round boxes of federal. The only reason I got those is because the guy they were holding them for was late picking them up. After the purchas I kindly told them how I felt about them "holding" ammo for for a customer that might show up to purchase it.... anyway I could go on and on. If they weren't the lowest prices around and about the only place that ever has any .22 ammo I wouldn't ever go back.
Anyway no end in sight here.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
When I tell people that I see no .22 long rifle for sale.........period..........at any price in retail stores I think some believe I am saying none for effect. No.......I mean ZERO .22 long rifle. On armslist they are selling it for 15 - 20 cents per round. Crazy and maddening.

+1 on your posts again. I agree when the .22lrs are back life should return to normal and I can get reacquainted with my SR22PB.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
What do ya mean there is no 22.cal ammo? Bulk ammo has Federal standard on sale as we speak! And it is ONLY $60.00 for 325 rds! What do ya want eggs with your beer? ::)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
davevabch said:
What do ya mean there is no 22.cal ammo? Bulk ammo has Federal standard on sale as we speak! And it is ONLY $60.00 for 325 rds! What do ya want eggs with your beer? ::)

I would laugh if it wasn't for the tears. :'(

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Cabelas in Buda TX had CCI Mini Mags .22 long rifle(100 round box) for 8.99. Limit one box per person for 100 round boxes. Wife was with me so she got her limit as well.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
bigdogdaddy said:
That is a good find! And good you had an assistant.

Some friends and I do the network thing. If one of finds a store with some ammo that's on the desired list the bat phone rings and the word gets spread. Sort of like this forum.....

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
My wife went by a little gun shop while she was out yesterday and actually stopped!!! Further more she scored 2 - 50 rnd boxes of PNC 9mm for 16 bucks each. :D Bet that's going to cost me next time we go out to dinner... :p Going to have to keep an eye on that place with those kind of prices.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
10 cents per round for Mini Mags is not a bad deal at all these days. Around here we are paying 10 cents for much lesser quality ammo.......when we can find it that is. I have not saw Mini Mags in at least a year now.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
10 cents per round for Mini Mags is not a bad deal at all these days. Around here we are paying 10 cents for much lesser quality ammo.......when we can find it that is. I have not saw Mini Mags in at least a year now.

I got a little plastic box of 50 for $12, and was happy with that. I thought for a while I would never see them again. I use them in my .22 NAA MiniMag, so they will last me for a long time.

Ray

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I hit Palmetto State Armory and Sportsman's Warehouse. Nothing but 17 WMR on the shelf.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I keep forgetting to post this, but for the last 4 to 6 months the three Walmarts I visit regularly have actual printed signs, not handwritten that say: WE DO NOT HAVE 22, 9MM, 357, 7.62, 38, 45, 40, 25 AMMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.