POLL: When will the ammo shortage end?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
PLEASE PLACE YOUR VOTE WITH YOUR FEEDBACK.

Personally I do not ever see it returning to normal. It is just getting tougher all the time. Even if ammo shelves are stocked, prices will be at a ridiculous price. There will always be more shooting just like there will be more car accidents, but the shootings will always take the limelight. As unfortunate as it is, the gun control issue will be in the headlines for the next decade. Hoarding will get even worse. Maybe it would be a good thing to make ammo prices sky high! Maybe the hoarding would slow down. But legislation against firearms will always get tougher, not more lenient. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I think this is a time for a reality check.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Although I think it is not even close to as bad as it was, I think we are a year or more away from getting back to reasonable (and reliable) amounts of ammo on the shelves.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
Although I think it is not even close to as bad as it was, I think we are a year or more away from getting back to reasonable (and reliable) amounts of ammo on the shelves.

I voted a year or more before it gets back to normal and agree with BDD here.

M

mukwah

I say about a year or more. I can see signs of slight improvement weekly.
As for it being like it was before Sandy Hook, I don't think we'll ever see that again! :'(

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Production and supply channels have to grow to the demand. If there's a buck to be made, ammo manufacturers will find a way. The tooling and materials adjustment will take the year. :(

R

rayzer007

I don't think the shortage will last, but I definitely believe taxes will be added and drive the cost sky high. I bought a pack of cigarettes for 26 cents when a kid; now they're $10. A box of ammo now $19 will soon be $109. The government can control behaviors they don't approve by taxes (and make a lot of money), and they will.

Ray

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I give it 6 months for the ammunition to return to normal.

PSA5-13-132.jpg

I was by the Palmetto State Armory yesterday, just about a ½ mile from my house. There ammo is starting to come back in patches. But they’re still selling AR-15’s and kits like crazy. I’ve run into people from Georgia and North Carolina coming down here to load up.

PSA5-13-13.jpg

They’re also selling a lot of Eotech and Aimpoint Opticals. I’m thinking that between now and the end of summer things should pick up. Several of the other local Gun Shops are selling what few weapons and ammo they can get in but its slow arriving, not leaving.

Sportsman Warehouse is still getting just one ammo truck a week and it’s out the door upon delivery. They are selling the usual; number of firearms. Wal-Mart is still dried up. The scalpers scoff it up as soon as it hits and it’s gone.

Jacking up the prices will not stop people from buying weapons and ammunition. I make the rounds a couple days a week and see all sorts of folks. From those rich folks driving big old Cadillac’s, BMWs and Mercedes to some kids driving an old beat up pickup or car things are not slowing down.

Despite recent political events America is not giving in to the gun grabbers. Trust me when the next election comes in 2014 there’s going to be heck to pay for what has happened so far this year.

Shootinbil

Hunter
May 13, 2013
Indiana
At least one more year maybe longer

Sent from My Compound
My Tactical Shooting Channel
http://youtube.com/profile?user=shootinbil

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Since congress is now looking at all the govt buying, I think that hopefully will slow that nonsense down. If an when that happens we will see some improvement.

I also have a customer that is getting his FFL and is already ordering ammo to sell in his store. He says he is seeing some foreign ammo available. I think we may see other countries seeking to help fill the void and start producing ammo. If money can be made we will eventually see some easing. Nothing more powerful than the old mighty buck.

Patience grasshopper!

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I would imagine that the ammo Manufacturers are having quite a challenge in speculating the future of their business. Federal is trying to fill a 3yr order, they are all working 24/7 and some are investing in new machinery. Will a new election turn the tide? Will it go into a frenzy hoarding? Will another tragic event bring on new challenges? If they invest in new equipment and the market drops back down, will they loose? Will the cost of materials rise? Materials like copper which is rising every day? It will be a interesting ride for sure.

Check out this chart/graph of ammo sales and gun sales.

(Mod changed link to a better site)

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
IMO, manufacturers are ramping up to meet demand $$$. The only speculation is how much $$$ they want to invest to that end. Any current capacity is operating at maximum output and down time is probably a forbidden $$$ conversation. Politics and scare materials are throwing a wrench in the $$$ mix.

The most common denominator... Yes, a very fun $$$ ride ahead for sure.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I'm darned glad that I purchased my AR, ammo, and reloading supplies before the real crunch started. Fortunately, I have enough reloading supplies (for all my calibers) for about two to three years of the amount range shooting that I do these days.

I have always bought larger quantities of reloading supplies simply because of the volume discounts.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Unfortunately I just started reloading with this mess hit. Really starting to get into it. What a bummer. :'(

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
As long as the hoarders keep buying all they can......And selling it on the internet.... :-\
It may go on for longer than a year from now.... :-\
But lets all hope not.... :-\

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Now that I have my FFL I can set up accounts with sporting goods wholesalers. I'm in the process of doing that now. After speaking to one of the wholesale stores, it is apparent there are huge amounts of back orders for ammunition as well as for many guns. I just sent in an order for 40 boxes of Winchester Long rifle. 525 rounds per box. However, they are on back order and I called to discuss the order. Apparently there are tons of back orders and that orders have been waiting for 6-12 months. Does not look like I will be getting any of my order for many many months. This particular wholesale store had zero in stock pistol ammo of any caliber.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Yeah...1-2 years to get back to kinda normal situation. I dunno if it'll ever get back to go into the LGS and buy the desired load and weight ammo for your purpose...like it was 6 months ago...For that, I would say 4-5 years. Boo.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
From what I have seen, most are back ordered for 3yrs. Are the back orders going to increase? If they cannot fill back orders for three years, it would seem that even more demand would accrue during that time. Unless the manufacturers start adding more machinery and increase output, I do not see how the vacuum will decrease. In about 3 years there will be yet another election for president. Depending on the outcome, will this affect a new hoarding frenzy? At this point, I would rather see more powder,bullets etc increase in availability than ammo. I don't think the vast majority want to reload. Just a thought.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I am a little surprised that we don't hear about backyard small business's selling reloads to compensate. Probably wouldn't purchase them if they did. Between the ammo and the IRS not sure which is worse? :'( :p

Status
Not open for further replies.