Pistol AR-15 - I'd like some thoughts from y'all

Howard Law

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
If you go with the Sionics barrel you wont need the WAR upper. The reduced gas port does it all and is great. Youre welcome to try mine out if youre ever near Woodstock/canton. I run the full BCM upper but swapped in the Sionics barrel, put a Rugged Surge on it, and run the Vltor A5 buffer, spring and rifle length extension. It runs perfect with or without the can and I don't get ANYTHING blown back in my face. I get very consistently placed ejection patterns and a totally normal seeming carrier velocity. The only thing I want to change is the bolt carrier for the LMT enhanced which increases dwell time. BUT that might mess with functionality when not suppressed. Not 100% sure yet.

So you're running this upper as an SBR on a rifle-length stock?
How's the cleaning issue? I understand the Can sends lots of shit back into the BCG

I rarely get up to Canton, but I might make a special trip!!! :- P
A point that needs clarification. @Leshaire is NOT using a rifle extension or rifle length stock. It is the Vltor A5 receiver extension and buffer system. The A5 RE is essentially an AR10 length receiver extension for use with collapsible stocks. It is approximately 3/4" longer than a standard carbine receiver extension. Due to the additional length, it is NOT compatible with standard buffer weights. It uses the Vltor A5 buffers. They look like a standard carbine buffer, but longer. Internally, they are different also. The A5 buffer is coupled with a rifle length action SPRING.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
A point that needs clarification. @Leshaire is NOT using a rifle extension or rifle length stock. It is the Vltor A5 receiver extension and buffer system. The A5 RE is essentially an AR10 length receiver extension for use with collapsible stocks. It is approximately 3/4" longer than a standard carbine receiver extension. Due to the additional length, it is NOT compatible with standard buffer weights. It uses the Vltor A5 buffers. They look like a standard carbine buffer, but longer. Internally, they are different also. The A5 buffer is coupled with a rifle length action SPRING.

Not gonna lie, I was scratching my head on that one. Thanks for clarification.

Reactions: DarthVader

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code

Oops... I looked through my thread first to try and just quote you but couldn't find it.

Sorry guys!!

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Oops... I looked through my thread first to try and just quote you but couldn't find it.

Sorry guys!!
It's ok. We're used to failure... Or maybe that's just me.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
The only AR stuff I know is like the game of telephone anyways. So only listen to my generalized info, not specifics lol.
No matter how little you know.... You still know more than this guy....

:confused:

IMG_0260.JPG

Reactions: Axeman

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
KAK makes a configurable buffer that you can adjust weights and fine tune to what you're shooting. I can't vouch for the quality, maybe someone else could, I just remember them from when I was building my AR9. The 9mm requires a heavier buffer as well. I ended up going with the KAK 9mm heavy extended buffer instead.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave/ar15-buffer-system

Buying theirs or Geissele's individual tungsten weights will allow you to configure any normal carbine weight buffer to H, H2, H3 in case you have a few sitting in a parts drawer.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

THANK YOU for that clarification. I thought @Leshaire was confirming I was correct about the rifle stock (which was admittedly confusing) but no worries.
Given the further info regarding nonstandard length and buffer weights and springs, I'm gonna definitely stick with a standard pistol RE (buffer tube) but stuff a 5 oz buffer and Carbine spring into the thing. Then add some Frog Lube to the tube to get the cheap scratchiness out of it and move along.

Reactions: Leshaire

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
THANK YOU for that clarification. I thought @Leshaire was confirming I was correct about the rifle stock (which was admittedly confusing) but no worries.
Given the further info regarding nonstandard length and buffer weights and springs, I'm gonna definitely stick with a standard pistol RE (buffer tube) but stuff a 5 oz buffer and Carbine spring into the thing. Then add some Frog Lube to the tube to get the cheap scratchiness out of it and move along.
While it may sound complicated, it's really not. But I'm not sure if they make a pistol tube. The benefits of the A5 buffer system cannot be understated. It is possibly the second, best improvement you can make for suppressed / unsuppressed reliability. The first / best step you can take is using a barrel that is properly gassed.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
While it may sound complicated, it's really not. But I'm not sure if they make a pistol tube. The benefits of the A5 buffer system cannot be understated. It is possibly the second, best improvement you can make for suppressed / unsuppressed reliability. The first / best step you can take is using a barrel that is properly gassed.

Pistol RE here...

Been out since 2015.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/receiver-extensions/pistol-a5-the-vltor-a5-pistol-kit/

Reactions: Leshaire

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Skip the froglube garbage.. lightly oil the spring with CLP and just shoot it.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

How did I miss this the 1st time.... NEVER use Frog lube. NEVER...

Reactions: DarthVader

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Just curious, but why the frog lube hate? I use CLP or moly grease so you won't offend me.

It's vegetable based oil, it's bull shit b/c you have to heat it up to apply it... So if you don't put it on right, it will gum up, if you do put it on right, it will gum up, if it gets cold, it will gum up... The Army & Air Force tested it, and it failed miserably to keep the guns lubed.

It's a bullshit snake oil, and people who say they like it, have never done anything more that take their guns to some range for about an hour once a year...

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
It's vegetable based oil, it's bull shit b/c you have to heat it up to apply it... So if you don't put it on right, it will gum up, if you do put it on right, it will gum up, if it gets cold, it will gum up... The Army & Air Force tested it, and it failed miserably to keep the guns lubed.

It's a bullshit snake oil, and people who say they like it, have never done anything more that take their guns to some range for about an hour once a year...

What he said.

It has a horrid reputation for gumming up and causing cycling problems. I do not know anyone using it anymore personally and I never used it.

When it came out, I had no desire to get that involved for just lubing something like an AR.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Slip 2000 EWL has held up well for me both suppressed and unsuppressed.

I did order a bottle of ALG Go Juice to try, but have no feedback on it and will not for quite some time.