Pistol AR-15 - I'd like some thoughts from y'all

Howard Law

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
I'm not one for anything shorter than 16" when it comes to .223/5.56, but I did enjoy my little 7.5" firebreathing dragon.

btw... glad you're back @Woodstock! Missed ya around here and would love to grab a cold one soon. I'd say let's go riding again, but I haven't found the right scoot to replace my victory.

Hey Dougie, cold one sounds good. I sold my beemer so I'm out a ride too, liked your victory.
We can make motorcycle noises at the bar

Reactions: dougiemac

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
@fyroc gave me some EXCELLENT data about short barreled AR15s, so I'm not going with anything less than a 10.5" barrel. You might want to consider the massive amount of pressure you're putting through your 7.5" pistols, causing accelerated wear.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

Granted, the 10.5" barrel makes my little project a bit longer, but with the addition of the Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper it should LAST a helluva lot longer especially after I add a can to it. They sure are EXPENSIVE, though - $265 when I can find them, and with a proprietary gas tube...$20 each for spares.

@dougiemac - Thanks for dropping by this thread! What happened to your little dragon?

Bah, 7.5 is the shitzl, anything bigger is for insecure mens

Reactions: Leshaire and Axeman

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
By the way, it's GREAT to have all of you giving me your advice.

THANK YOU!!!!

I'll certainly have to let you all know what I eventually build, and post pictures...

But we're not done yet.

So far I know I need:
WAR upper receiver
10.5" barrel with gas port for suppressor (not sure which manufacturer)
A good quality suppressor (suggestions that make sense for this build?)
QD muzzle device for suppressor
Pistol length buffer tube with paracord cover
LAW tube folding kit
Geissele SSA-E trigger (I used them on my .308 and long-range 5.56 and fell in love)
YHM Extended takedown pins (I put these on all of my builds)
KNS Anti- rotating hammer/trigger pins (I put these on all of my builds)
10" Carbon-fiber handguard (I think Delta Team Tactical has them on sale for $46)
Standard BCG
Pistol length gas tube
STEEL low-profile gas block
Dimple-making tool
LPK (they're pretty much all the same, aren't they?)
80% lower
pistol grip (likely one with the reduced grip angle)
Maybe a TRS-32 red-dot

Suggestions?
Did I miss anything?

Not reading through 9 pages of stuff, but...

No, not all LPK's are the same. Anderson has had a horrid rash of misfit parts lately, mostly in the area of defective hammers/disconnects, but also with really rough finishes and overall poor fitment. The problem has shown up in PSA kits too.

You would only save maybe $20-$25 buying a cheap LPK vs a quality one, so don't skimp. Find a quality one less FCG.

Also, I just don't understand the desire for anti-rotation pins. Has to be for aesthetics. Geissele ships their premium FCG's with precision ground pins and are of high quality. If installed correctly, they will not walk out....period. You're not rocking full auto for thousands of rounds with it, so distorting the receiver pin holes is not going to be of a concern.

They really just make removing the FCG a pain in the ass...

SLR makes the barrel dimple jig for $26. Use a quality 5/32 jobber bit and hand drill. Easy to do. Only need one dimple as well.

If going with 5.56 steer away from pistol gas, carbine is as short as I would go, even in a 10.5"

If you can go 11.5", Sionics has the barrel you need. High quality, reasonably priced, and most important, correct port size. This saves you the need for a barrel dimple jig as they come dimpled already and use of a standard receiver and forego that WAR option.

Vltor makes the A5 RE in pistol config. It would further mitigate the recoil impulse and harshness that accompany the shorter, higher pressure gas systems. You could DIY wrap the tube yourself. Since you will use the LAW adapter, the extra length of the RE and barrel will be minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Laslty, if you can bump your budget, the BCM KMR is super lightweight, robust and has a very solid attachment method. I would highly recommend it over a carbon fiber option. Hell, I think the KMR's are lighter than most of the carbon fiber options anyways. They are releasing the MLOK version late this summer if by Christmas as well in case you do not like the dick shaped keymod slots....

My $.02....excuse me if all this was previously mentioned, I guess reading the 9 pages would have been easier than typing all of this.

Last edited:

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Any respectable suppressor company will give you a muzzle break with a QD can. I run the Rugged Surge and it came with one.

Magpul Pros are the bees knees. Love mine.

Primary arms or holosun red dot if you want cheap. Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint pro if you want middle of the road. Aimpoint T1 or H1 if you want top tier.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
When we do finally get to make a range trip I might like to check out that Surge if you don't mind.... It might be my second can.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
When we do finally get to make a range trip I might like to check out that Surge if you don't mind.... It might be my second can.
You got it!! I can't wait btw. I haven't shot outside freely in forever. Stupid ranges suck.

Reactions: Rwjeter

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

No, not all LPK's are the same. Anderson has had a horrid rash of misfit parts lately, mostly in the area of defective hammers/disconnects, but also with really rough finishes and overall poor fitment. The problem has shown up in PSA kits too.

You would only save maybe $20-$25 buying a cheap LPK vs a quality one, so don't skimp. Find a quality one less FCG.

Also, I just don't understand the desire for anti-rotation pins. Has to be for aesthetics. Geissele ships their premium FCG's with precision ground pins and are of high quality. If installed correctly, they will not walk out....period. You're not rocking full auto for thousands of rounds with it, so distorting the receiver pin holes is not going to be of a concern.

SLR makes the barrel dimple jig for $26. Use a quality 5/32 jobber bit and hand drill. Easy to do. Only need one dimple as well.

If going with 5.56 steer away from pistol gas, carbine is as short as I would go, even in a 10.5"

If you can go 11.5", Sionics has the barrel you need. High quality, reasonably priced, and most important, correct port size. This saves you the need for a barrel dimple jig as they come dimpled already and use of a standard receiver and forego that WAR option.

Vltor makes the A5 RE in pistol config. It would further mitigate the recoil impulse and harshness that accompany the shorter, higher pressure gas systems. You could DIY wrap the tube yourself. Since you will use the LAW adapter, the extra length of the RE and barrel will be minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Laslty, if you can bump your budget, the BCM KMR is super lightweight, robust and has a very solid attachment method. I would highly recommend it over a carbon fiber option. Hell, I think the KMR's are lighter than most of the carbon fiber options anyways. They are releasing the MLOK version late this summer if by Christmas as well in case you do not like the dick shaped keymod slots....

My $.02....excuse me if all this was previously mentioned, I guess reading the 9 pages would have been easier than typing all of this.

1st off... I'll never be able to look at the Keymod slots the same way now...

2nd question, if you were going to build a 11.5 pistol kit, how would you go about it? It's what I'm looking to do down the road, I'm fine with a stock GI trigger BTW, but I want a A2 sight post on the barrel, and a shock wave brace.

3rd, I too never understood the need for the "anti-rotation pins" I've only seen one or two fall out my whole time in the army. And those rifles were 20-30 years old.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code

You just described my gun but I didn't have to buy the tools mentioned lol... Some guy did it for me ;)

Reactions: Wallace

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
1st off... I'll never be able to look at the Keymod slots the same way now...

2nd question, if you were going to build a 11.5 pistol kit, how would you go about it? It's what I'm looking to do down the road, I'm fine with a stock GI trigger BTW, but I want a A2 sight post on the barrel, and a shock wave brace.

3rd, I too never understood the need for the "anti-rotation pins" I've only seen one or two fall out my whole time in the army. And those rifles were 20-30 years old.

Same setup as mentioned above, but using the FSB Sionics 11.5" with a KAC RAS. Think MK18 Mod 0-ish.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

Dick-shaped Keymod slots - I'd never thought of that before! I'm not a fan of Keymod just because I have other stuff that won't fit...so then are the M-lok holes Vaginas? No wonder I prefer them!

No, not all of that was previously mentioned. Most hadn't read that list at all, thus nobody (until now) questioned the anti-rotation pins.
It's simply a gullible newbie got SOLD HARD on the damned things and can't seem to set them down and walk away. So I put that shit on everything, just like hot sauce.

BCM KMR - One of the builds I did for a friend involved that rail. It was a pain in the ASS to install, is too thin for my liking, and now when I shoot that rifle I notice that there's really not enough distance from the hot parts to my hands. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've got 4 of the carbon fiber HGs and am still in love with them. Just my personal taste, which is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Vltor A5 RE - WOW, nice option. This is getting REALLY expensive. I've already had to decide to get the LAW adapter later due to CONGRESSIONAL-SIZED overbudgeting. I was planing to get a normal pistol tube and run a carbine spring in it (someone said it works) but with the H2 4.0oz buffer instead of the normal 3.0oz.

Scionics Barrel - Also, due to budget I'm going with a PSA FN barrel. They're only $120 vs the Scionics at closer to $300. Maybe I'll do the Scionics on the second one I build after this one destroys itself within 300 rounds because I didn't listen to your excellent advice...

However, I ABSOLUTELY will listen to you about the LPK. I've never gotten an Anderson (they do seem lower quality with most of their stuff - I can't really quantify how, they just DO). In the past I've used CMMG and DPMS, among others I can't recall (probably Brownell's house-marked stuff). I always wind up ditching the FCG (I like 60* safeties and my minimum trigger is the ALG) so that's a given. I usually get that stuff from Brownells, so whatever they have in stock/sale might do - I just checked and they're now selling LPKs with Geissele triggers and other upgrades. GOOD, I'm tired of throwing away A2 pistols grips and TGs and tossing mil-spec FCGs into my parts bin.

SLR barrel dimple jig - GOTTA get one so I can replace all of those clamp-on gas blocks I've mistakenly installed over the past 5 years! (See, I really CAN learn!)

Thanks for your input!!!!!

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Dick-shaped Keymod slots - I'd never thought of that before! I'm not a fan of Keymod just because I have other stuff that won't fit...so then are the M-lok holes Vaginas? No wonder I prefer them!

No, not all of that was previously mentioned. Most hadn't read that list at all, thus nobody (until now) questioned the anti-rotation pins.
It's simply a gullible newbie got SOLD HARD on the damned things and can't seem to set them down and walk away. So I put that shit on everything, just like hot sauce.

BCM KMR - One of the builds I did for a friend involved that rail. It was a pain in the ASS to install, is too thin for my liking, and now when I shoot that rifle I notice that there's really not enough distance from the hot parts to my hands. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've got 4 of the carbon fiber HGs and am still in love with them. Just my personal taste, which is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Vltor A5 RE - WOW, nice option. This is getting REALLY expensive. I've already had to decide to get the LAW adapter later due to CONGRESSIONAL-SIZED overbudgeting. I was planing to get a normal pistol tube and run a carbine spring in it (someone said it works) but with the H2 4.0oz buffer instead of the normal 3.0oz.

Scionics Barrel - Also, due to budget I'm going with a PSA FN barrel. They're only $120 vs the Scionics at closer to $300. Maybe I'll do the Scionics on the second one I build after this one destroys itself within 300 rounds because I didn't listen to your excellent advice...

However, I ABSOLUTELY will listen to you about the LPK. I've never gotten an Anderson (they do seem lower quality with most of their stuff - I can't really quantify how, they just DO). In the past I've used CMMG and DPMS, among others I can't recall (probably Brownell's house-marked stuff). I always wind up ditching the FCG (I like 60* safeties and my minimum trigger is the ALG) so that's a given. I usually get that stuff from Brownells, so whatever they have in stock/sale might do - I just checked and they're now selling LPKs with Geissele triggers and other upgrades. GOOD, I'm tired of throwing away A2 pistols grips and TGs and tossing mil-spec FCGs into my parts bin.

SLR barrel dimple jig - GOTTA get one so I can replace all of those clamp-on gas blocks I've mistakenly installed over the past 5 years! (See, I really CAN learn!)

Thanks for your input!!!!!

Sionics barrel is only $190 ($70 more, and no oversized gas port → who knows what size you will actually get with PSA, their rifle gas barrels have a small port, and their shorter gas systems run larger). Factor in using a BCM upper receiver, and you would actually come out cheaper than using the PSA barrel and WAR upper.

I'll admit, KMR rails are not that pleasant to install, and much worse to remove later on, but are rock solid once on there. Geissele is my favorite rail in terms of robustness and ease of installation, but most of their offerings are on the heavy side. The advantage of that is they are built like a tank.

Reactions: Axeman

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Sionics barrel is only $190 ($70 more, and no oversized gas port → who knows what size you will actually get with PSA, their rifle gas barrels have a small port, and their shorter gas systems run larger). Factor in using a BCM upper receiver, and you would actually come out cheaper than using the PSA barrel and WAR upper.

I'll admit, KMR rails are not that pleasant to install, and much worse to remove later on, but are rock solid once on there. Geissele is my favorite rail in terms of robustness and ease of installation, but most of their offerings are on the heavy side. The advantage of that is they are built like a tank.

Since I like to remove rails occasionally the KMR is really not my cup of tea. I'm also still considering the DOLOS system (I just can't let that idea go until I try it) so a removable rail system is pretty important. As for the Geissele, I've got lots of respect for their products, but I don't want a tank on this build since I'm trying to keep it as lightweight as possible.

Somehow I think I got confused about pricing when I was looking at a bunch of different barrel manufacturers. You're right, Scionics IS reasonably priced. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll get on that.

BCM upper - Good idea, they've got DEMO/USED uppers on sale for $80. That really helps my budget creep problem. I might still have to eventually go with the WAR upper when I get a can, but we will just have to see if it's necessary.

I had another idea about the buffer - I looked closer at the Vltor A5 and it uses a 6.3oz buffer. I was planning to get an H2 4oz buffer, but now I'm thinking an H3 5oz might be better...What do you think?

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Since I like to remove rails occasionally the KMR is really not my cup of tea. I'm also still considering the DOLOS system (I just can't let that idea go until I try it) so a removable rail system is pretty important. As for the Geissele, I've got lots of respect for their products, but I don't want a tank on this build since I'm trying to keep it as lightweight as possible.

Somehow I think I got confused about pricing when I was looking at a bunch of different barrel manufacturers. You're right, Scionics IS reasonably priced. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll get on that.

BCM upper - Good idea, they've got DEMO/USED uppers on sale for $80. That really helps my budget creep problem. I might still have to eventually go with the WAR upper when I get a can, but we will just have to see if it's necessary.

I had another idea about the buffer - I looked closer at the Vltor A5 and it uses a 6.3oz buffer. I was planning to get an H2 4oz buffer, but now I'm thinking an H3 5oz might be better...What do you think?
If you go with the Sionics barrel you wont need the WAR upper. The reduced gas port does it all and is great. Youre welcome to try mine out if youre ever near Woodstock/canton. I run the full BCM upper but swapped in the Sionics barrel, put a Rugged Surge on it, and run the Vltor A5 buffer, spring and rifle length extension. It runs perfect with or without the can and I don't get ANYTHING blown back in my face. I get very consistently placed ejection patterns and a totally normal seeming carrier velocity. The only thing I want to change is the bolt carrier for the LMT enhanced which increases dwell time. BUT that might mess with functionality when not suppressed. Not 100% sure yet.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
If you go with the Sionics barrel you wont need the WAR upper. The reduced gas port does it all and is great. Youre welcome to try mine out if youre ever near Woodstock/canton. I run the full BCM upper but swapped in the Sionics barrel, put a Rugged Surge on it, and run the Vltor A5 buffer, spring and rifle length extension. It runs perfect with or without the can and I don't get ANYTHING blown back in my face. I get very consistently placed ejection patterns and a totally normal seeming carrier velocity. The only thing I want to change is the bolt carrier for the LMT enhanced which increases dwell time. BUT that might mess with functionality when not suppressed. Not 100% sure yet.

So you're running this upper as an SBR on a rifle-length stock?
How's the cleaning issue? I understand the Can sends lots of shit back into the BCG

I rarely get up to Canton, but I might make a special trip!!! :- P

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So you're running this upper as an SBR on a rifle-length stock?
How's the cleaning issue? I understand the Can sends lots of shit back into the BCG

I rarely get up to Canton, but I might make a special trip!!! :- P
You got it! I don't remember exactly why but @DarthVader told me to run it with the heavier buffer bc of it being suppressed.

I have only shot a few hundred rounds through it and only about 150 of those were suppressed. Ill have to report back with more rounds through it. It doesn't seem abnormally dirty.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code

Vltor offers 5 different weight buffers.

Typically, you use the heaviest buffer that you rifle will reliably cycle with and lock back on an empty mag using the weakest ammo you will shoot. Could be any of the various buffer weights that you will settle on, but something in the middle is where most end up.

I personally just run an H or H2 in mine and am happy. Some other like the H3, and @DarthVader almost exclusively uses the A5 setups. He can enlighten you on his recipe, but he already has a thread about his Sionics upper on here. Between his and @Leshaire thread, most, if not all aspects of the A5 system are covered without having to type a winded response.

Reactions: Leshaire

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Vltor offers 5 different weight buffers.

Typically, you use the heaviest buffer that you rifle will reliably cycle with and lock back on an empty mag using the weakest ammo you will shoot. Could be any of the various buffer weights that you will settle on, but something in the middle is where most end up.

I personally just run an H or H2 in mine and am happy. Some other like the H3, and @DarthVader almost exclusively uses the A5 setups. He can enlighten you on his recipe, but he already has a thread about his Sionics upper on here. Between his and @Leshaire thread, most, if not all aspects of the A5 system are covered without having to type a winded response.

KAK makes a configurable buffer that you can adjust weights and fine tune to what you're shooting. I can't vouch for the quality, maybe someone else could, I just remember them from when I was building my AR9. The 9mm requires a heavier buffer as well. I ended up going with the KAK 9mm heavy extended buffer instead.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave/ar15-buffer-system