Pistol AR-15 - I'd like some thoughts from y'all

American Revival Apparel Company

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
By the way, it's GREAT to have all of you giving me your advice.

THANK YOU!!!!

I'll certainly have to let you all know what I eventually build, and post pictures...

But we're not done yet.

So far I know I need:
WAR upper receiver
10.5" barrel with gas port for suppressor (not sure which manufacturer)
A good quality suppressor (suggestions that make sense for this build?)
QD muzzle device for suppressor
Pistol length buffer tube with paracord cover
LAW tube folding kit
Geissele SSA-E trigger (I used them on my .308 and long-range 5.56 and fell in love)
YHM Extended takedown pins (I put these on all of my builds)
KNS Anti- rotating hammer/trigger pins (I put these on all of my builds)
10" Carbon-fiber handguard (I think Delta Team Tactical has them on sale for $46)
Standard BCG
Pistol length gas tube
STEEL low-profile gas block
Dimple-making tool
LPK (they're pretty much all the same, aren't they?)
80% lower
pistol grip (likely one with the reduced grip angle)
Maybe a TRS-32 red-dot

Suggestions?
Did I miss anything?

Ok- I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread (or most of it for that matter, but it's late now)... so with all the other expense in this build, why in the world are you using an 80% lower?

For what it's worth, I have an 80% that I did on a drill press- there's a long thread around here somewhere.

But given the quality of everything else, I'd darn sure use a finished lower- just my .02.

Reactions: Leshaire

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Ok- I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread (or most of it for that matter, but it's late now)... so with all the other expense in this build, why in the world are you using an 80% lower?

For what it's worth, I have an 80% that I did on a drill press- there's a long thread around here somewhere.

But given the quality of everything else, I'd darn sure use a finished lower- just my .02.

Because I already have one sitting here. By the way, this is the first time I've mentioned the 80% in this thread.
I did my .308 on an 80%, and it's great. I used the jig setup that employs a router instead of a machine-shop, and the result was pretty darned good!
This particular 80% I'm planning on using was done on a similar router set (made/sold by 80% Arms) as a test to see if I could do a good enough job before tackling the .308 lower. So now I've GOT to use it for SOMETHING, right?
By the way - to any of you who've fiddled with UNFINISHED 80% lowers - I hate em. I've tried Krylon, Rustoleum, Hi-Temp paint, even the ULTRA hi-temp paint made for exhaust manifolds and the aluminum paint and primer system made for an outboard motor foot, and all of it is WORTHLESS. Scratches off with a fingernail. And then comes off easily when I spray carb cleaner on it. Junk.
Only thing left is Cerakote, so that's where I'm headed with this one. Lots of money spent on a coating I should have bought in the first place with a FINISHED 80% lower - but that was before the election, when I was happy to get anything at all...whatever. Never again.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Because I already have one sitting here. By the way, this is the first time I've mentioned the 80% in this thread.
I did my .308 on an 80%, and it's great. I used the jig setup that employs a router instead of a machine-shop, and the result was pretty darned good!
This particular 80% I'm planning on using was done on a similar router set (made/sold by 80% Arms) as a test to see if I could do a good enough job before tackling the .308 lower. So now I've GOT to use it for SOMETHING, right?
By the way - to any of you who've fiddled with UNFINISHED 80% lowers - I hate em. I've tried Krylon, Rustoleum, Hi-Temp paint, even the ULTRA hi-temp paint made for exhaust manifolds and the aluminum paint and primer system made for an outboard motor foot, and all of it is WORTHLESS. Scratches off with a fingernail. And then comes off easily when I spray carb cleaner on it. Junk.
Only thing left is Cerakote, so that's where I'm headed with this one. Lots of money spent on a coating I should have bought in the first place with a FINISHED 80% lower - but that was before the election, when I was happy to get anything at all...whatever. Never again.

Well, glad to hear you found the right coating. The ol' 80% that I drilled out is still sitting on the shelf. It was more of a weekend project than a lower, I guess.

So long as the side walls inside the lower are nice and straight you should be fine. I had problems with my drill bits walking and my walls are extremely tapered. I can file them to fit a trigger group one day, but it really wasn't worth the trouble given what lowers sell for these days.

I think you've got a heck of a build list- and I'm sure it will make a really nice pistol.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Well, glad to hear you found the right coating. The ol' 80% that I drilled out is still sitting on the shelf. It was more of a weekend project than a lower, I guess.

So long as the side walls inside the lower are nice and straight you should be fine. I had problems with my drill bits walking and my walls are extremely tapered. I can file them to fit a trigger group one day, but it really wasn't worth the trouble given what lowers sell for these days.

I think you've got a heck of a build list- and I'm sure it will make a really nice pistol.

Shit, that sounds like a nightmare of an 80% scenario. I should loan you my jig and a router and let you clean that thing up!
I found that 2 hours of careful work with the router makes a pretty good inside cut. Then drilling the cross-holes is nerve-racking but doable.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

Any suggestions on the barrel?
Suppressors that are good enough quality yet small enough for this project?
QD muzzle device?
Decent small aiming devices? (might just stick with Magpul Pro BUIS, they're the BEST) Red Dot?

Any ideas for cheaper options?

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

By the way, cost wasn't the ENTIRE reason I went 80% - just sayin...

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
QD muzzle device?
Decent small aiming devices? (might just stick with Magpul Pro BUIS, they're the BEST) Red Dot?

Man, I have no idea. I did an AR pistol as kind of a range plinker several years back. It was a 10.5" barrel with a flaming pig on it to keep some of the obnoxious noise down. As far as terminal ballistics vs. barrel length, I have no good advice.

Suppressors, I don't know much about super short ones either. Have a SPECWAR that's "hearing safe" they say, but dang a .223/5.56 supersonic crack is bad with or without the can. After having that can, I've decided that direct thread makes much more sense. Due to PIO shift, I leave the can on all the time anyway. The QD plus mount adds a fair amount of weight and length... just my opinion.

I'm probably also not much help on sights- I like carry handles. Although I do have a RRA Dominator rear on my carbine at the moment.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Rugged has some of the shortest QD mounting systems for their cans that I'm aware of.

As far as barrel goes there's so many quality ones out there. Scionics, Sons Of Liberty Gunworks, BCM,DD, Noveske and I'm sure I've left some out.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Holy shit, those are some expensive barrels!
If I were building a target rifle I'd get one, in fact I'll save this list to try find a better option for my next .308 lightweight upper - but for a short-range pistol project?
Do I really need a $300 barrel?
I only found one that was listed as being specifically meant for Suppressed Weapons (Scionics), and it says that without the can it might not function properly. That's disconcerting.
Sounds like I'm back to square one and I need to find the barrel and suppressor at the same time. But so many other folks seem to just buy a gun and then slap a can on it and go right on down the road without a care in the world.

Am I overthinking this? Paralysis through analysis?

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Holy shit, those are some expensive barrels!
If I were building a target rifle I'd get one, in fact I'll save this list to try find a better option for my next .308 lightweight upper - but for a short-range pistol project?
Do I really need a $300 barrel?
I only found one that was listed as being specifically meant for Suppressed Weapons (Scionics), and it says that without the can it might not function properly. That's disconcerting.
Sounds like I'm back to square one and I need to find the barrel and suppressor at the same time. But so many other folks seem to just buy a gun and then slap a can on it and go right on down the road without a care in the world.

Am I overthinking this? Paralysis through analysis?
The RGP barrel from Scionics runs fine when I don't have it suppressed. But since you're going to run a WAR upper that barrel is a moot point.

The barrel and BCG are the heart of the rifle.

PSA FN barrels have worked fine for me for a "budget" barrel

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
QD muzzle device?

Any respectable suppressor company will give you a muzzle break with a QD can. I run the Rugged Surge and it came with one.

Magpul Pros are the bees knees. Love mine.

Primary arms or holosun red dot if you want cheap. Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint pro if you want middle of the road. Aimpoint T1 or H1 if you want top tier.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Axeman

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
I like the 7.5 barrel that I've shot, accurate as hell and not one cycling issue.
Like the noise and fireball, its is an added plus for me.

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I like the 7.5 barrel that I've shot, accurate as hell and not one cycling issue.

I'm not one for anything shorter than 16" when it comes to .223/5.56, but I did enjoy my little 7.5" firebreathing dragon.

btw... glad you're back @Woodstock! Missed ya around here and would love to grab a cold one soon. I'd say let's go riding again, but I haven't found the right scoot to replace my victory.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

@fyroc gave me some EXCELLENT data about short barreled AR15s, so I'm not going with anything less than a 10.5" barrel. You might want to consider the massive amount of pressure you're putting through your 7.5" pistols, causing accelerated wear.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

Granted, the 10.5" barrel makes my little project a bit longer, but with the addition of the Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper it should LAST a helluva lot longer especially after I add a can to it. They sure are EXPENSIVE, though - $265 when I can find them, and with a proprietary gas tube...$20 each for spares.

@dougiemac - Thanks for dropping by this thread! What happened to your little dragon?

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
@fyroc gave me some EXCELLENT data about short barreled AR15s, so I'm not going with anything less than a 10.5" barrel. You might want to consider the massive amount of pressure you're putting through your 7.5" pistols, causing accelerated wear.

Granted, the 10.5" barrel makes my little project a bit longer, but with the addition of the Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper it should LAST a helluva lot longer especially after I add a can to it. They sure are EXPENSIVE, though - $265 when I can find them, and with a proprietary gas tube...$20 each for spares.

@dougiemac - Thanks for dropping by this thread! What happened to your little dragon?

I traded it to @Gunsite Grad with a shitton of cash to buy my daughter her first car that he was selling.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Any respectable suppressor company will give you a muzzle break with a QD can. I run the Rugged Surge and it came with one.

Magpul Pros are the bees knees. Love mine.

Primary arms or holosun red dot if you want cheap. Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint pro if you want middle of the road. Aimpoint T1 or H1 if you want top tier.

I traded it to @Gunsite Grad with a shitton of cash to buy my daughter her first car that he was selling.

If you want to go that route again Detla Team Tactical is selling 7.5 uppers CHEAP

Here is a 7.5" upper already built with a carbon fiber handguard for $200: https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Davidson-Defense-Carbon-Fiber-Octagon-7-Pistol-Upper-W-75-223-WYLDE-19-Barrel-Optional-BCG_p_5268.html

It's a cheap way to get another fire-breather in your stable again - but not what I'm gonna do, although it's tempting!

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
If you want to go that route again Detla Team Tactical is selling 7.5 uppers CHEAP

Here is a 7.5" upper already built with a carbon fiber handguard for $200: https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Davidson-Defense-Carbon-Fiber-Octagon-7-Pistol-Upper-W-75-223-WYLDE-19-Barrel-Optional-BCG_p_5268.html

It's a cheap way to get another fire-breather in your stable again - but not what I'm gonna do, although it's tempting!

That thin is sweet but I've never heard of that company. They any good?

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code

@DoglegArms is a WAR upper dealer. Hit him up. He can prolly help.

https://www.doglegarms.com/Accessories-s/112.htm

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
That thin is sweet but I've never heard of that company. They any good?

YES. They actually have a clue when you chat with them vs. Brownell's newbies who barely answer. It's a shame that they did that, Brownell's used to have GREAT CS people, now you've got to call to get anyone helpful.

But you'll have to specify a Steel gas block with that upper and pay a few extra dollars. I'm getting a 10.5 from them and then later will go get a WAR upper, likely from @DoglegArms