karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Maybe if you'd stop shooting their damn house, they wouldn't get so pissed

Trying to get a deal on the land. I figure if they all get pissed enough then I can buy their shit and raze it.

Reactions: Axeman

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Anybody have weight saving ideas? Or think that I shouldn't be too worried about the weight?

I was considering using an upper without the Forward Assist - save a couple ounces - and going with a slim contour barrel, but I think that STEEL gas blocks wear less over time vs aluminum - agree/disagree?

I also prefer Carbon Fiber handguards to aluminum, but I'm not sure if I can get one to match up to a Dolos. I've noticed on a build I did for a friend that the slim handguards get your hands too close to the gas block and tube, and during long and/or fast firing that hand gets a bit too hot...

Regarding reliability of shorter barrels systems, is this because the Pistol gas tube is too short? I've seen "pigtail" gas tubes that wrap around the barrel to make them longer - like a Carbine tube. Any merit to this, or just a waste of money?

Any preferred (lower cost) optics? I'm not about to drop serious BANK on a Trijicon or Aimpro or anything like that. I know I like the metal Magpul MBUS PRO sights - less bulky and just plain SOLID.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Anybody have weight saving ideas? Or think that I shouldn't be too worried about the weight?

I was considering using an upper without the Forward Assist - save a couple ounces - and going with a slim contour barrel, but I think that STEEL gas blocks wear less over time vs aluminum - agree/disagree?

I also prefer Carbon Fiber handguards to aluminum, but I'm not sure if I can get one to match up to a Dolos. I've noticed on a build I did for a friend that the slim handguards get your hands too close to the gas block and tube, and during long and/or fast firing that hand gets a bit too hot...

Regarding reliability of shorter barrels systems, is this because the Pistol gas tube is too short? I've seen "pigtail" gas tubes that wrap around the barrel to make them longer - like a Carbine tube. Any merit to this, or just a waste of money?

Any preferred (lower cost) optics? I'm not about to drop serious BANK on a Trijicon or Aimpro or anything like that. I know I like the metal Magpul MBUS PRO sights - less bulky and just plain SOLID.

You can get a cheap red dot or reflex sight pretty easy now. I put a cheap red dot on mine. You wont be sniping with it so you really dont need dollars in the sights.

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Is 250fps a really serious drop in velocity for a 55gr .223? I don't think it really reduces the energy much. Do you have any data to support this?
I had to look up what a Mk18 is, so I guess you're running it as a SBR.
Definitely considering your point about the folding doohickey. Perhaps I should go a different route and get a Dolos quick release barrel system...I understand they're cheaper than the DRD (who uses a proprietary upper, which is crazy expensive) and can work with YHM handguards and a few others, which DRD can't, and only has a 12.5" handguard. All of this is a shame since DRD is only a few miles from me and I'd prefer to help local industry. But if there's a better product in Tennessee...

Thoughts on Dolos? Seen one in use?

As for the AK pistol - I'm just not (YET) a fan of AKs. And the pistol version seems even less accurate since there's no way you can shoulder it even if there aren't any Gov't agents around. I like my SKS rifles - simple as a Sesame Street coloring book. But also not a work of art.

Nah I didnt SBR it.. I'm using the shockwave brace instead of a stock. It's just a clone of the MK18.

5nV3SX4.jpg

Here is an interesting read.
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

Also note, anything below 10" you're going to want a pistol gas system and not a carbine gas system. Carbine will short stroke with anything shorter than 10"

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Nah I didnt SBR it.. I'm using the shockwave brace instead of a stock. It's just a clone of the MK18.

5nV3SX4.jpg

Also note, anything below 10" you're going to want a pistol gas system and not a carbine gas system. Carbine will short stroke with anything shorter than 10"

5nV3SX4.jpg

HOLY SHIT!

THAT is why I started asking these questions in the first place! THANK YOU! So now I see that if I used a 7.5" barrel not only will I have keyholing bullets, early failure of the upper/BCG, cycling problems, and less lethality downrange, I'll ALSO have a GRENADE on the end of the barrel if I use a small, cheap suppressor. HOLY SHIT, Batman!

10.5 it is!!!!
And I'll get a decent, well-built suppressor when it's time. So that means I want to do the DOLOS thing to make everything more compact.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
HOLY SHIT!

THAT is why I started asking these questions in the first place! THANK YOU! So now I see that if I used a 7.5" barrel not only will I have keyholing bullets, early failure of the upper/BCG, cycling problems, and less lethality downrange, I'll ALSO have a GRENADE on the end of the barrel if I use a small, cheap suppressor. HOLY SHIT, Batman!

10.5 it is!!!!
And I'll get a decent, well-built suppressor when it's time. So that means I want to do the DOLOS thing to make everything more compact.

I decided on 10.5-11.5 as well and ended up with 11.5 since that's the smallest size the barrel I wanted comes in. I have zero issues with accuracy out to a hundred with and without a can, but sadly don't have anywhere to test longer than that distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
I decided on 10.5-11.5 as well and ended up with 11.5 since that's the smallest size the barrel I wanted comes in. I have zero issues with accuracy out to a hundred with and without a can, but sadly don't have anywhere to test longer than that distance.

EXCELLENT range in Taylorsville if you live in NorthWest Ga called Creekside - members can shoot out to 500 yards on Wednesdays, and it's run by a former Army Ranger Sniper / Sniper Instructor. He's a no-BS kind of guy, and occasionally he teaches classes. A really cool dude.

What barrel did you use? I kinda figured barrel choice wasn't really a big deal since it was for 0-100 yards, so I was gonna buy something in the $80-$100 range.
Since I build my own I can upgrade anytime if I want...but I didn't want to have to change my rail system, since that is often more costly than an average barrel.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
EXCELLENT range in Taylorsville if you live in NorthWest Ga called Creekside - members can shoot out to 500 yards on Wednesdays, and it's run by a former Army Ranger Sniper / Sniper Instructor. He's a no-BS kind of guy, and occasionally he teaches classes. A really cool dude.

What barrel did you use? I kinda figured barrel choice wasn't really a big deal since it was for 0-100 yards, so I was gonna buy something in the $80-$100 range.
Since I build my own I can upgrade anytime if I want...but I didn't want to have to change my rail system, since that is often more costly than an average barrel.

Isn't that members only?? I'm up in acworth. I could work from home in an occasional Wednesday to go up there and shoot.

I went with sionics because of the super quality and reduced gas port offering for suppressed guns. I didn't want adjustable shit going bad on my rifle. Just a personal preference. It was around $250 shipped though

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Isn't that members only?? I'm up in acworth. I could work from home in an occasional Wednesday to go up there and shoot.

I went with sionics because of the super quality and reduced gas port offering for suppressed guns. I didn't want adjustable shit going bad on my rifle. Just a personal preference. It was around $250 shipped though

Right - only MEMBERS can shoot 500 and only on Wednesday, and they also get unlimited use on all days of the steel pistol range which has poppers, 2 trays of knockdown steels and a dueling tree, plus more.

They only open the 500 on the one day because you shoot past the 100 yard benches

So now you've opened another can of worms(thank you) - gas port size is important with a suppressor???? Shit. I didn't know that.
Edumacate this dumbass.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Right - only MEMBERS can shoot 500 and only on Wednesday, and they also get unlimited use on all days of the steel pistol range which has poppers, 2 trays of knockdown steels and a dueling tree, plus more.

They only open the 500 on the one day because you shoot past the 100 yard benches

So now you've opened another can of worms(thank you) - gas port size is important with a suppressor???? Shit. I didn't know that.
Edumacate this dumbass.

Hmmm I'll have to jump on their website and check it out then head up there one day.

Yeah so gas ports are like wicked oversized on most all ARs so that they run, flat out no excuses. It's harder on the gun in general and then wayyyyyy harder on a suppressed gun since the can holds pressure and creates more blow back into the rifle. This creates gas and crap blowing out the ejection port and everywhere else into your face and increased bolt velocity. The sionics reduced gas port is way smaller and meant for suppressed guns only. It even says it may not cycle without a can on the gun. However I've put about 120 rounds through it not suppressed and it's run fine.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Hmmm I'll have to jump on their website and check it out then head up there one day.

Yeah so gas ports are like wicked oversized on most all ARs so that they run, flat out no excuses. It's harder on the gun in general and then wayyyyyy harder on a suppressed gun since the can holds pressure and creates more blow back into the rifle. This creates gas and crap blowing out the ejection port and everywhere else into your face and increased bolt velocity. The sionics reduced gas port is way smaller and meant for suppressed guns only. It even says it may not cycle without a can on the gun. However I've put about 120 rounds through it not suppressed and it's run fine.

Hmm. Smaller gas port for suppressors...Makes sense. What about using an adjustable gas block? I've read just a little about them and some supposedly collect crap inside, while another I found a while back ($200 if it is ever in stock) advertised that it had a bleed-off to keep the excess gas and junk from blowing into the face of the nut behind the wheel. Bullshit?

So far, I haven't seen anything from @Mac11FA about this, and I bet he knows something useful...SPEAK UP!!! :peep:

Reactions: Leshaire

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Hmm. Smaller gas port for suppressors...Makes sense. What about using an adjustable gas block? I've read just a little about them and some supposedly collect crap inside, while another I found a while back ($200 if it is ever in stock) advertised that it had a bleed-off to keep the excess gas and junk from blowing into the face of the nut behind the wheel. Bullshit?

So far, I haven't seen anything from @Mac11FA about this, and I bet he knows something useful...SPEAK UP!!! :peep:
I'd help with this but when it comes to suppressors, I know nothing.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Some good points made already. @NolansMindset built a 10.5 with the Surefire device on it. There's a video on here testing the Echo trigger install I'm sure he could be of some help here as well.

Forgot to mention earlier - I saw the video you mentioned, but that's not what really moved me to the 10.5" barrel.

BTW, I would NOT want one of those Echo triggers for a few reasons - EXPENSIVE, bound to be banned at some point by the commies, EXPENSIVE to FEED (BIG reason I'm not into Full Auto), more difficult to hit precise shots (I prefer precision to volume every time), and also I'd hate to see someone pick it up who didn't know how to USE that trigger. It requires special training, and a NEWB could cause some real damage with it - to himself or others, or both.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Forgot to mention earlier - I saw the video you mentioned, but that's not what really moved me to the 10.5" barrel.

BTW, I would NOT want one of those Echo triggers for a few reasons - EXPENSIVE, bound to be banned at some point by the commies, EXPENSIVE to FEED (BIG reason I'm not into Full Auto), more difficult to hit precise shots (I prefer precision to volume every time), and also I'd hate to see someone pick it up who didn't know how to USE that trigger. It requires special training, and a NEWB could cause some real damage with it - to himself or others, or both.

The Surfire comp kept the pistol flat and on target I thought he said too if you were still looking for a device to put on it.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
The Surfire comp kept the pistol flat and on target I thought he said too if you were still looking for a device to put on it.

YES. It that a QD for a can? I've got a comp I LOVE (Ares Armor Eddie-A) but it's not Can-Friendly. Also it makes my rifles a ton louder, so I don't think it's a good idea for a pistol. However it's a fully adjustable compensator with threaded holes so I've got my other ARs tuned so there is NO muzzle jump in rapid fire. The thing is a beast. And my neighbors at the firing line hate me.
So if you know the Surefire does the same thing, AND is a QD for a can, that's huge.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Ares Armor Effin-A. Damned autocorrect.

Unfortunately the original owner of Ares sold to a buddy who turned out to be a jackass, who then renamed the company and ditched a lot of the goid stuff about Ares that I liked. But the comps are still around if you search.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
YES. It that a QD for a can? I've got a comp I LOVE (Ares Armor Eddie-A) but it's not Can-Friendly. Also it makes my rifles a ton louder, so I don't think it's a good idea for a pistol. However it's a fully adjustable compensator with threaded holes so I've got my other ARs tuned so there is NO muzzle jump in rapid fire. The thing is a beast. And my neighbors at the firing line hate me.
So if you know the Surefire does the same thing, AND is a QD for a can, that's huge.

It's in the video on the 10.5 pistol Nolan built he was talking about it being good about keeping on target with it. I don't think it's for a suppressor though

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code

I didnt want adjustable crap on my rifle. Its my go to so I wanted as little room for error as possible. The adjustable gas blocks, bolt carriers, and uppers are cool, but not for me on that build. Check out my build thread, you will find some great info in all the comments. DarthVader and Wallace really helped a ton, but a lot of people had great info. Read thr first few pages at least. I understand the thread is long as hell and ends up being a bunch of us bitching about NFA wait times and what not lmao.
https://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/suppressed-sbr-ar-parts-list-build-thread.8765/#post-177704

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I didnt want adjustable crap on my rifle. Its my go to so I wanted as little room for error as possible. The adjustable gas blocks, bolt carriers, and uppers are cool, but not for me on that build. Check out my build thread, you will find some great info in all the comments. DarthVader and Wallace really helped a ton, but a lot of people had great info. Read thr first few pages at least. I understand the thread is long as hell and ends up being a bunch of us bitching about NFA wait times and what not lmao.
https://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/suppressed-sbr-ar-parts-list-build-thread.8765/#post-177704

@DarthVader @Wallace @Righter13 all have a ton of knowledge of the game and respected opinions here that's a good read @Leshaire