GA Firing Line

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Item-specific question: What's the word on QuickClot products? I seem to recall that the powder was frowned upon once they came out with quickclot sponges as the powder was hard to clean out of the wound. Have some of both, just curious if I should throw out the powder packs.
As far as quick clot is concerned it’s mostly packing gauze, that’s not made with any live-culture stuff, and incorporates an thread woven the entire length of the gauze that will show up on an X-ray machine

quick clot shouldn’t be used for Bleeding that can be controlled with a pressure dressing, or applied pressure or a tourniquet

QC really shines when you are bleeding heavily from a location that 1. Can’t believe addressed by a pressure dressing or 2 I cannot apply a tourniquet too

think groin, shoulders etc.

At this point the patient is going to bleed out, and you cannot stop the bleeding with allied pressure, and you cannot use a TQ because it’s in a location that a TQ cannot be applied.

in that case pack the wound as deeply and methodically as you can with QC gauze and then apply pressure to it, and I mean real pressure, until you can have additional medicinal take over.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I need to up my game on usage as well; I've had 3 or 4 basic classes (put on by local airport fire / EMS), they got us to the point of being able to handle small to medium cases, or in severe cases, the basics of what to do until EMS arrives on scene within 10 mins. I'm woefully unprepared for anything outside of the basics.

I went through the Army’s Combat Life Savers Course, but that was about 25 years ago. About all I remember is how to Start an IV. Not much need for that info now.

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
I went through the Army’s Combat Life Savers Course, but that was about 25 years ago. About all I remember is how to Start an IV. Not much need for that info now.
Haha I did too man, and I didn’t really get any other advanced training from that course until I had to do it live in Iraq and Afghanistan. I learned a lot from medics on the ground treating casualties from our engagements with them.
when I got home I kept on the up-and-up and just continued to self educate and learn stuff to A. Try and not forget what I already knew and B. Keep up with how things are developing in regards to procedures and products

you know the basics always remember

MARCH -
Massive hemorrhage
airway
respirations
circulation
head injury/hypothermia (shock)

this is how you want to treat trauma on the ground on a patient

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
As far as quick clot is concerned it’s mostly packing gauze, that’s not made with any live-culture stuff, and incorporates an thread woven the entire length of the gauze that will show up on an X-ray machine

quick clot shouldn’t be used for Bleeding that can be controlled with a pressure dressing, or applied pressure or a tourniquet

QC really shines when you are bleeding heavily from a location that 1. Can’t believe addressed by a pressure dressing or 2 I cannot apply a tourniquet too

think groin, shoulders etc.

At this point the patient is going to bleed out, and you cannot stop the bleeding with allied pressure, and you cannot use a TQ because it’s in a location that a TQ cannot be applied.

in that case pack the wound as deeply and methodically as you can with QC gauze and then apply pressure to it, and I mean real pressure, until you can have additional medicinal take over.
So just to clarify, I should keep both the QC powder packs as well as the QC sponges / compresses, but only use the powder form when a pressure dressing is not conducive? (I'm not expecting medical advice and do not take any suggestions as legal medical advice) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: KhyberPass

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
So just to clarify, I should keep both the QC powder packs as well as the QC sponges / compresses, but only use the powder form when a pressure dressing is not conducive? (I'm not expecting medical advice and do not take any suggestions as legal medical advice) ;)
You can keep it all if that’s all you have, the sponges I don’t really see a use for personally and the packs I would use if it’s all I had and I really needed QC or I believe that person is going to die.
For myself I’ve transitioned to only QC gauze and usually when space allows I carry the 3” x 4 yards Z-packed stuff

Z-packed helps because you can hold the whole thing of gauze in your hands and feed it to your other hand while you pack the would without dropping the roll onto the dirty ass ground. Just easier for me to pack with and keep as sterile as possible

pack it deep and pray

Reactions: Grunk and AirOpsMgr

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Fair warning though, first aid stuff can be as expensive as gun stuff real quick, but I really like having it and once you secure it the expiration dates are really quite impressive. 3-5 years on the “perishable” stuff

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
You can keep it all if that’s all you have, the sponges I don’t really see a use for personally and the packs I would use if it’s all I had and I really needed QC or I believe that person is going to die.
For myself I’ve transitioned to only QC gauze and usually when space allows I carry the 3” x 4 yards Z-packed stuff

Z-packed helps because you can hold the whole thing of gauze in your hands and feed it to your other hand while you pack the would without dropping the roll onto the dirty ass ground. Just easier for me to pack with and keep as sterile as possible

pack it deep and pray
Copy that - As I mentioned above, I have a lot of "left-overs" from restocking other kits, I tend to end up with an assortment of items, but as I also mentioned, I don't keep up with the times & unsure of what would be detrimental if a new & improved option is available.

I end up with a lot of these left-overs when we re-stock kits to "OSHA standards" at the job; Some folks end up adding a bunch of things that I have to remove because they buy the wrong items or is against policy for them to administer without training, but I don't want to throw them out...

• Love
Reactions: KhyberPass

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Copy that - As I mentioned above, I have a lot of "left-overs" from restocking other kits, I tend to end up with an assortment of items, but as I also mentioned, I don't keep up with the times & unsure of what would be detrimental if a new & improved option is available.

I end up with a lot of these left-overs when we re-stock kits to "OSHA standards" at the job; Some folks end up adding a bunch of things that I have to remove because they buy the wrong items or is against policy for them to administer without training, but I don't want to throw them out...
With old stuff too like old Israeli bandages or old gauze extra gauze etc or old vented/non-vented chest seals damaged items etc I like to open up old stuff and use/keep it for training aids or practice kit for the kids and wife or buddies

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
With old stuff too like old Israeli bandages or old gauze extra gauze etc or old vented/non-vented chest seals damaged items etc I like to open up old stuff and use/keep it for training aids or practice kit for the kids and wife or buddies
I didn't think of Israeli bandages having an expiration date, you just made me go check mine, but all are good until 2024. See, I told ya I was outta the loop!

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
I didn't think of Israeli bandages having an expiration date, you just made me go check mine, but all are good until 2024. See, I told ya I was outta the loop!
I don’t believe too much on the bandages either but I imagine at some point the material breaks down and may have a potential to tear or stretch beyond what it should? Great reason to pop one open and show the kids how to apply it.

I’ve found a really good video on the ways you can use it let me see if I can find jt again and link it

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

Knight

Yeet yite yote
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Rocks
It really is that simple lololol

then knowing how to use the shit you’re dragging around
Dude you wouldn’t believe how some people don’t know their equipment.

when we roll up to a homie who just got smacked in the chest with a 40cal and I tell you to grab a chest seal to stop a SCW, and you look at me like a deer in the headlights.....KNOW. YOUR. EQUIPMENT.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Dude you wouldn’t believe how some people don’t know their equipment.

when we roll up to a homie who just got smacked in the chest with a 40cal and I tell you to grab a chest seal to stop a SCW, and you look at me like a deer in the headlights.....KNOW. YOUR. EQUIPMENT.
I don't have any chest seals or anything that advanced in my box-O'-Bandaids, honestly haven't looked at adding anything other than what we were shown in our basic classes. Is this something I could competently apply as a rookie, or leave it out until trained?