Can we talk about back up 'iron' (polymer) sights?

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Fuck a BUIS. Just practice shooting through your optic with it turned off. This is part of the reason I switched from battery operated sights. I can't imagine a situation where my scope would fail, but if it does, I'm fucked pretty hard if I can't even get home to install a different one. In that case I'm point shooting the bastard, and I think I'll be ok.

Back up sights are about the biggest waste of money and real estate on a firearm imo.

*I'm sure I just lost all of my remaining mall ninja cred.

I like mine, I don't have so much crap that they take up space that something else could use. I like that I can use my reddot up close and of the opportunity arises to take longer shots I can flip up my sights and turn off the optic and use them normally.

Reactions: Laufen

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Well I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave me fucking air soft versions. Does magpul make those or does some Chinese brand rip them off? If magpul makes them they just dropped yet another notch in my book.

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk

I think Magpul does make some for airsoft.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'm waiting for @karlvv to comment on your scope's position.

I can go with the "nose to charging handle" position on irons, but I'm farther back on the scoped rifle.

And honestly, that rear cap may be barely stuck on the scope in that picture- I just take the damn caps off at the range. I don't like the flip open covers. But I also don't like scratches on the lenses, so I leave them on when I'm not shooting.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
1st off... If you have back up iron sights, and you want to use them if you optic gos down, it MIGHT be a good idea, if you can flip them up and see through your optic. The ones that sit under your optic, that you can't flip up make no sense to me. Also since they are just back-up sights, and you'll be using your optic 99% of the time, who cares what they look like, or what they are made of, as long as they hold zero. Just my 2 cents.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I can go with the "nose to charging handle" position on irons, but I'm farther back on the scoped rifle.

And honestly, that rear cap may be barely stuck on the scope in that picture- I just take the damn caps off at the range. I don't like the flip open covers. But I also don't like scratches on the lenses, so I leave them on when I'm not shooting.

"Trump Hands" laufen can barely reach his trigger as far back as he sets scopes.

Reactions: Leshaire

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
"Trump Hands" laufen can barely reach his trigger as far back as he sets scopes.
Naw, I have long arms. If I could get my stock to go back further I would. A 14.25-14.5" LOP is about perfect for me.

Reactions: karlvv

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Naw, I have long arms. If I could get my stock to go back further I would.

I get it. I'm total opposite. I like it tight. Having used an a2 stock while wearing full battle gear, I will never go back to full stocks.

Reactions: DarthVader

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I get it. I'm total opposite. I like it tight. Having used an a2 stock while wearing full battle gear, I will never go back to full stocks.
Yeah, that's really uncomfortable for me...to be all hunched up on it.

cbh13

Millennial Supreme
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Auburn
Zip code
also to go with what laufen was saying prism optics are really good for this. I picked up one of the vortex spitfires and really liked it. illuminated to help but if something does happen and it breaks you still have the reticle

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
1st off... If you have back up iron sights, and you want to use them if you optic gos down, it MIGHT be a good idea, if you can flip them up and see through your optic. The ones that sit under your optic, that you can't flip up make no sense to me. Also since they are just back-up sights, and you'll be using your optic 99% of the time, who cares what they look like, or what they are made of, as long as they hold zero. Just my 2 cents.
I plan to be able to use them through the optic. We are on the same page there. Regarding looks, I am just a girl about it and dont want ugly shit on my rifle that im intentionally building to look a way that I like.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I plan to be able to use them through the optic. We are on the same page there. Regarding looks, I am just a girl about it and dont want ugly shit on my rifle that im intentionally building to look a way that I like.
When I pick up your rifle from your half zombie eaten corpse, I'm taking them off.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Me too, because I can only blow so many loads in a day...
Approximately 8 calories per ejaculation. I had a girlfriend in college that looked it up, she was worried about how many calories she was ingesting, lol.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Approximately 8 calories per ejaculation. I had a girlfriend in college that looked it up, she was worried about how many calories she was ingesting, lol.
Bahahahahahaha whelp this now trumps your last statement and takes the number one spot for making me laugh the hardest today.

What girl worries about calories in college btw... Theyre all just naturally skinny and hott.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I think the PROs will be your best bet. I think they are the lowest profile.

This is going to be your go-to rifle right?

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I think the PROs will be your best bet. I think they are the lowest profile.

This is going to be your go-to rifle right?
Yeah I have yet to play with any in person. Maybe ill stop by GFL and check them out one day this week.

And yes they will.