When one wants to build out a registered lower.

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
If your doing an ar style sbr I've heard different opinions. The main consensus is do something you will be happy with for a long time that is not going to break easily. This really only applies to the lower itself though because everything else can be replaced as far as I know

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Go with your gut instinct on this. Since you are dealing with a modular system, start out with the basic "get it running" parts and then upgrade as needed!

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
So... Whatever fits the budget?

I know a quality barrel and bcg are a must, anything else?
You're going to get answers all over the board on this. The thing with AR's is that you get what you pay for....sometimes. I would say that for the most part, a forged lower is about the same, regardless of manufacturers. Sure, some have been out of spec (Zombie Defense), but stick with a big name company and you should be fine. Billet is heavier and not as strong as forged...but teh OMGZ faktur is a little higher with billet - if that matters to you.

As far as parts, get what you can afford where you want to spend the money. Obviously, the parts that directly interface with the ammo are probably more important than that cool laser you saw at the gunshow last week. Basically, spend what you can where you want and then run it. If it breaks, reassess and fix it.

Also, Daniel Defense or go home, newb.

Also, kidding.

Also, your mother.

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
Went forged, simply cuz I can't justify spending 3 digits on a lower before parts.

I know you will get differing opinions, I just wanted to get them out before I started anything (already have the stamp)

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'll throw this into the conversation... I have seen lowers (billet or regular- speaking to the machined lines/style of the thing not related to materials by the way) cut from 6061-T6 and 7075-T6. For what it's worth, 7075-T6 has a considerably higher yield strength than 6061. It's also about 4x the cost for raw materials.

Personally, I stick with the plain old lowers made from 7075-T6. After that, I rank them based on how much I like or dislike the look of the logo.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I just used whatever lowers I had on hand at the time I got the wild hair up my butt to buy a stamp. My five SBR lowers are as follows.

PSA
S&W
Colt
DPMS
Bushmaster

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
As it has already been stated, it doesn't matter. Alot of guys will tell you that a lower is a lower and just use whatever you can find cheapest. I went a different route with my two SBR lowers and used a higher end forged lower, one from KAC. Because KAC is cool and the lower held some sentimental value to me. The second one was a BCM lower. Mainly because I was almost guaranteed that it would be high quality and the upper going on it was also BCM. For me, part of the reason that I used more expensive lowers was because I knew that I'd essentially own them forever and didn't want to have to look at a PSA or Anderson logo for the next 30 years.

One piece of advice. Whatever you decide to use, test it first. Assemble it and shoot it, just to be sure you don't file paperwork on that 1 in 500 lower that turns out to be a lemon.

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
As it has already been stated, it doesn't matter. Alot of guys will tell you that a lower is a lower and just use whatever you can find cheapest. I went a different route with my two SBR lowers and used a higher end forged lower, one from KAC. Because KAC is cool and the lower held some sentimental value to me. The second one was a BCM lower. Mainly because I was almost guaranteed that it would be high quality and the upper going on it was also BCM. For me, part of the reason that I used more expensive lowers was because I knew that I'd essentially own them forever and didn't want to have to look at a PSA or Anderson logo for the next 30 years.

One piece of advice. Whatever you decide to use, test it first. Assemble it and shoot it, just to be sure you don't file paperwork on that 1 in 500 lower that turns out to be a lemon.
More looking at components. I stated I have my stamp and am just now getting around to start figuring out what to fill it with.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Personally, I don't mind spending the money on a good trigger. But for the money, the Geissele G2S is the best bang for the buck. Similar pull compared to the SSA, but with a little legwork and patience you can find them for $125-135.