GA Firing Line

SafeCracka

Little Bitch
Trusted Trader
Mar 29, 2015
Screenshot City
Zip code
Well, of course I did!

Did a little more digging. If I go with a direct thread, it looks like I'm going to need a unit that is modular. This can will spend most of its time on a 5.56 gun threaded 1/2x28. I don't want to put a thread adapter on the barrel. If I'm going to do that, I'd rather just use a mount.

For direct thread options, I think that puts me back to the Omega. Any others that have modular mounts and are still under 7" in length?

If you want to come out this way you can test mine....

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
OK fellas, I've been doing some more digging on this one. Because this can will only be used on a precision AR or possibly a bolt gun later down the road, I started looking heavily at direct thread options. The Sandman Ti is out of the running because it only comes threaded for 7.62 barrels. You know what's really dumb? They offer a 5.56 end cap, but no means to mount it on a 5.56 gun.

So, I started looking around places like snipershide to see what the precision nuts really liked. Thunderbeast has a huge following there and rightfully so. TBAC makes great cans for precision long range shooting. The other contender seemed to be the lowly SCo Harvester. Alot of guys having good results with the little can that could. Minimal POI shift and no change in group sizes.

Well, since the Harvester can be had for almost half the cost of the TBAC, it looks like I'll be picking one up next week. The modular design has the added benefit of being able to mount it on pretty much any gun that I'd need it for.

Wanna hear something else interesting? The original Harvester was built on a fully welded Octane core and can use any of the Octane mounts, including the 3 lug. Pretty neat. However, current models have a tighter bore than the originals and cannot be used with 9mm.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
OK fellas, I've been doing some more digging on this one. Because this can will only be used on a precision AR or possibly a bolt gun later down the road, I started looking heavily at direct thread options. The Sandman Ti is out of the running because it only comes threaded for 7.62 barrels. You know what's really dumb? They offer a 5.56 end cap, but no means to mount it on a 5.56 gun.

So, I started looking around places like snipershide to see what the precision nuts really liked. Thunderbeast has a huge following there and rightfully so. TBAC makes great cans for precision long range shooting. The other contender seemed to be the lowly SCo Harvester. Alot of guys having good results with the little can that could. Minimal POI shift and no change in group sizes.

Well, since the Harvester can be had for almost half the cost of the TBAC, it looks like I'll be picking one up next week. The modular design has the added benefit of being able to mount it on pretty much any gun that I'd need it for.

Wanna hear something else interesting? The original Harvester was built on a fully welded Octane core and can use any of the Octane mounts, including the 3 lug. Pretty neat. However, current models have a tighter bore than the originals and cannot be used with 9mm.

That's really cool actually. One could still throw a 3 lug adapter on a rifle, but I hear it's not recommended

Reactions: DarthVader

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Ohwell... Im on the way to PA with my Sandman S.

Mounting brakes on the 716 and my 5.56 SBR then going to the range.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code

Heard this from the owner of a LGS yesterday, no idea if true. He is heavily into long range, precision shooting.

He said putting the 5.56 endcap on the sandman kills your groups.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
Late arriving to this thread but I would go for the Harvester. Those vents on the end should bleed off excess gasses away from the bullet and allow for minimal distortion to its flight as opposed to a solid endcap.

As to 5.56 endcaps on 7.62 cans, I would agree with the owner of the gun shop who says it messes with group sizes. You have a 7.62 column of gasses slamming into and squeezing out of a 5.56 hole. That has to waggle around a little 55gr bullet....or even a 70gr one for that matter.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Heard this from the owner of a LGS yesterday, no idea if true. He is heavily into long range, precision shooting.

He said putting the 5.56 endcap on the sandman kills your groups.
That's interesting. Had not heard that before, but I guess it does make sense. The Harvester doesn't allow changing of the end cap, so no worries there. And it won't be used on anything under an 18" barrel length, so any difference in suppression would be minimal, I'm sure.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Ohwell... Im on the way to PA with my Sandman S.

Mounting brakes on the 716 and my 5.56 SBR then going to the range.
I looked really hard at the Sandman S. But my uses for this particular can really doesn't require one that robust. Plus, it's hard to beat the value for performance of the Harvester if you know you won't be using it on short barrels or maintaining a high ROF on a regular basis.

Reactions: Righter13

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Late arriving to this thread but I would go for the Harvester. Those vents on the end should bleed off excess gasses away from the bullet and allow for minimal distortion to its flight as opposed to a solid endcap.

As to 5.56 endcaps on 7.62 cans, I would agree with the owner of the gun shop who says it messes with group sizes. You have a 7.62 column of gasses slamming into and squeezing out of a 5.56 hole. That has to waggle around a little 55gr bullet....or even a 70gr one for that matter.
Where you been man?

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
The worst thing I found out today is that I missed out on a Harvester being sold by a private seller for $400! Only 60 rounds through it...

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
That was my impression also. Looks good on their little decibel charts though, I'm sure.
We were able to drop 3dbs on an unsuppressed 308 by simly changing our point of aim about 8 inches on a 25 yard range. The movement seemed tiny, but it was just enough to send the concussive pressures slightly away from the meter. I assume anchor brakes and end caps can play meters by simply redirecting the pressure on a slightly different direction. Maybe it would help if you find yourself 1 meter from the muzzle, lol.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I have an AAC cyclone and my precision 5.56 guns are threaded 5/8x24 so I don't have to use an adapter......which is all a mount really is.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I have an AAC cyclone and my precision 5.56 guns are threaded 5/8x24 so I don't have to use an adapter......which is all a mount really is.
All mine are 1/2x28, naturally. Being able to swap the thread adapter out will be a nice bonus.