What suppressor for a precision upper?

Howard Law

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
OK fellas, I need some suggestions, preferably based on first hand experience. I've been disappointed with the accuracy I'm getting from my M4-2000 when mounted on my precision upper. It generally opens up my groups by 0.5 - 0.75" @ 100 yds. When I originally purchased it, I chose a caliber specific suppressor primarily because the multi Cal options were at least an inch longer and heavier. Naturally, within 6 months, several new 7.62 cans hit the market that were comparable in size and weight to my 5.56 can.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations on a 7.62 can that mounts solidly and will not degrade accuracy on a precision upper or bolt gun. I'm currently considering the following:

Omega - possibly with the direct thread adapter, but willing to use the specwar mount if it doesn't impact accuracy.

Harvester

Sandman-S

Rugged? Maybe. They're pretty expensive compared to others.

I'd like to have QD capability, but it's not a must for this suppressor.

So what have you guys experienced? What are your recommendations for a precision rifle?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Unfortunately you will have to sacrifice some POA shift when using a small lightweight can. The harvester is a good choice and I feel that a direct thread will be a little more stable than QD mount. If you are shooting supersonic rounds the the dB level is not as critical as you are merely bringing the muzzle blast under control enough to be hearing safe. Another possibility is the Liberty Mystic.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Don't forget the sandman L too lol.
I'm primarily looking at the S model because I want to keep the can short. Comparable in length to a 5.56 can, but still rated up to .308
Unfortunately you will have to sacrifice some POA shift when using a small lightweight can. The harvester is a good choice and I feel that a direct thread will be a little more stable than QD mount. If you are shooting supersonic rounds the the dB level is not as critical as you are merely bringing the muzzle blast under control enough to be hearing safe. Another possibility is the Liberty Mystic.
I don't mind POI shift, as long as it's repeatable. I can dial adjustment for that. I just don't want to have any expansion in the group size like I've seen with the M4-2000.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I'm primarily looking at the S model because I want to keep the can short. Comparable in length to a 5.56 can, but still rated up to .308

I don't mind POI shift, as long as it's repeatable. I can dial adjustment for that. I just don't want to have any expansion in the group size like I've seen with the M4-2000.

I've heard the sandman s and l side by side and couldn't tell a difference in sound from 5.56. I'm sure there was one, but I don't think it would be worth the extra length.

Reactions: Righter13

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I've heard the sandman s and l side by side and couldn't tell a difference in sound from 5.56. I'm sure there was one, but I don't think it would be worth the extra length.
Thanks. I wouldn't expect much difference until you got into 308 or bigger.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
According to the manual there is only a few db difference which is why I went with the S

Last edited:

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
You missed the best sales they had before bringing out the new model
Well, of course I did!

Did a little more digging. If I go with a direct thread, it looks like I'm going to need a unit that is modular. This can will spend most of its time on a 5.56 gun threaded 1/2x28. I don't want to put a thread adapter on the barrel. If I'm going to do that, I'd rather just use a mount.

For direct thread options, I think that puts me back to the Omega. Any others that have modular mounts and are still under 7" in length?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Well, of course I did!

Did a little more digging. If I go with a direct thread, it looks like I'm going to need a unit that is modular. This can will spend most of its time on a 5.56 gun threaded 1/2x28. I don't want to put a thread adapter on the barrel. If I'm going to do that, I'd rather just use a mount.

For direct thread options, I think that puts me back to the Omega. Any others that have modular mounts and are still under 7" in length?
Is there a saker k model? It's got the MAAD system IIrc