The REAL threat..

GA Firing Line

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I believe the Bill of Righst and the Constitution were written in rather plain English and there is no debate required. When some politician talks about using "common sense" to bridge the words into our modern society.... Look out.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/26/wis-sheriff-urges-residents-to-get-gun-training/

A Sheriff, in Wisconsin, recently advised citizens that due to budget cuts and looking at a loss of 48 officers, people should get a gun and learn how to use it. That's common sense. Local Politicians are outraged at suggestions that their government and police force cannot really protect them.

I've always viewed 911 as "Dial A Prayer".

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Law enforcement cutbacks in Ashtabula County, OH prompted an official to say the same thing a good while ago. Common sense said LEO was going to be stretched thin enough to embolden anyone with criminal intent.

Since that time I haven't heard of any wild west type stories coming out of that county... People aren't dumb... prolly took his advice.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Regarding the Real Threat though, you can bet that there is a lot of back room talk, channels, some politicial arm twisting, blackmail and threats, as progressive groups start pusing politicians on both sides to line up on behind their march against the 2nd Amendment. Some of that under the table stuff the President talked about.

They're calling it a march against Gun Violence and Crime. Circa 1994 the House passed a Clinton Crime Bill, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. This was during the Golden Years of the Clinton ERA. When it hit the Senate, Joe Biden sponsored it. Along comes Feinstein who inserts the so called "Assault Weapon Ban". Clinton throws his weight behind it and Conservative Democrats get promised the moon, if they vote for it. Republicans thrown in an expiration date on it, call it a Bi-Partisan Deal, because they don't want to look like they're not in favor of reducing violence and crime.

Right now Politicians are resorting to tactics like cutting off investing Government Emloyees Retirement Funds in stocks in firearms and ammunition manufacturing companies. Some corporations have announced they are selling off their investments in companies that are also now taboo.

I'm not buying the stuff the Media and some Politicians are putting out about how there's no chance of any anti-gun legislature getting passed in either the House or the Senate. Republicans aren't beyond giving some concessions to avoid losing face in the Media and with a few folks back home. The problem is the Progressives will take that chunk and be right back again later on looking for more.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment, but with that said I can see a case when I could live with a temporary infringement of a person's rights where public safety is at risk. Putting somebody legal ability to carry firearm on a temporary hold while they have some type of couciling or review could be an option. As for not infringing on a person's rights, our country has done that since day one. Judges take away different degrees of people's freedom every day they are on the bench; ankle bracelet, probation, going to rehab, going to the slammer, they used to even give people the choice of joining the sevice or going to jail. That train hasn't jumped the tracks. It was never really completely on there.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
bigdogdaddy said:
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment, but with that said I can see a case when I could live with a temporary infringement of a person's rights where public safety is at risk. Putting somebody legal ability to carry firearm on a temporary hold while they have some type of couciling or review could be an option. As for not infringing on a person's rights, our country has done that since day one. Judges take away different degrees of people's freedom every day they are on the bench; ankle bracelet, probation, going to rehab, going to the slammer, they used to even give people the choice of joining the sevice or going to jail. That train hasn't jumped the tracks. It was never really completely on there.

LOL. 1994 to 2004 was a test period for a "temporary" infringement of our 2nd Amendment Rights. This time they intend to take it just as far as they can in the name of public safety. Your opinion or mine, hardly matters to them. Let us stick with them just wanting to disarm all the law abiding citizens and ignore the stacks of bodies in the morgues downtown, like in Chicago and New York City. That's all ways been their objective.

If all those existing Gun Laws on the books were enforced, it would be a starting point. If the politicians, medical personnel and members of the education system could wade through all the concerns about Privacy Laws and the usual bonds of Political Correctness, to identify people under going treatment for metal health issues and interact with Public Safety Officials we might just get some where. If an adult family member could go to a Doctor and get some real help in dealing with another adult member of the family who is mentally ill, a whole lot of other people in this country might just be better off.

Also when it comes to the government doing anything on a "temporary basis". Taxes and Toll Roads always come to my mind.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/01/27/CBS-Runs-Segment-Calle-Lets-Give-Up-On-The-Constitution

Right now we are seeing an assault not just on the 2nd amendment but the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Progressive Thinkers, are calling them antiquated and want to adapt their own more modern principles. Running something like this on a major network is not a surprise. Our Politicians have gotten tired of building bridges to nowhere and now want to bridge the terms into the 21st Century.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I too share the unpopular view that the Bill of Rights has real meaning. All the time and inviolate. Sorry if this basic tenant of our nation is not convenient. Find another way.

I also worry when the ""mental health" ball gets tossed into the air. Who gets that rubber stamp placed by their elbow for simple dismissal of whoever might be considered a nutbag or the subject of being "too different" in exercising their "Free Speech" or "Freedom of Assembly."

Maybe this is the line drawn in the sand.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
I too share the unpopular view that the Bill of Rights has real meaning. All the time and inviolate. Sorry if this basic tenant of our nation is not convenient. Find another way.

I also worry when the ""mental health" ball gets tossed into the air. Who gets that rubber stamp placed by their elbow for simple dismissal of whoever might be considered a nutbag or the subject of being "too different" in exercising their "Free Speech" or "Freedom of Assembly."Maybe this is the line drawn in the sand.

The lines have never been more clearly drawn in the sand. I suspect that if it were left up to the gun grabbers that anyone who professes to express a view that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right is mentally deranged and that choosing to arm one's self in the name of so called self defense is in fact premeditation. When politicians start talking about a a Collective mentality take heed, they just took the gloves off. Thought Crime is the next step.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
They already often claim to know what is in a person's mind when they commit a crime. Many of the "hate crimes" are enforced with a healthy dose of mind reading.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
They already often claim to know what is in a person's mind when they commit a crime. Many of the "hate crimes" are enforced with a healthy dose of mind reading.

Great point BDD! ;)

Ray

M

mukwah

therefore......... I know something is rotten in DC, smells like B.O.!!!!