Teach me about reloading..

GA Firing Line

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
I have a couple different powders I load for 45, 40 and 9mm. Red Dot, HP38, Win231. All work. As far as primers when it comes to pistol I just load what I find the cheapest. Wolf/Tula is what I load mainly but also have some Winchester. I just play with pistol don't shoot it competitively.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Well the pieces started rolling in today! :) The rotary tumbler should be here tomorrow and the press and the remainder of the components ought to be here early next week while I'm out of town, once I get back I'm View attachment 410 gonna work on building a heavy bench to mount the press on

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
When you do get started, I always pour my first 10 powder drops into the pan and measure the total weight. Divide by 10 and check my average. Some powders meter better than others as Shawn indicated. When working up a new load I will do 20 of a certain drop and than 20 more of +0.2, 20 more of +0.4, etc. and chrono to find the sweet spot.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
That's interesting that you mention that! , I was talking with my old man today and he said pretty much the same thing, he is gonna come out and help to get me rolling along on this along with the help of y'all here, btw I joined up on the B.E. forum and man you weren't lying; there is more info there than is imaginable!

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
The Bullet bins and bracket came in today, too bad I'll be gone when the press gets in next week, I'll def post pics as I make progress though View attachment 413

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
On the stainless steal media, a squire or two of dawn detergent and then some lemi-shine. Let them run for about 3 hours. Just make sure all the pins are out of the brass. You can let them air dry or I put mine on a pizza pan in the oven and turn it on 230 for awhile to speed the process up.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="Shawn Agne]On the stainless steal media, a squire or two of dawn detergent and then some lemi-shine. Let them run for about 3 hours. Just make sure all the pins are out of the brass. You can let them air dry or I put mine on a pizza pan in the oven and turn it on 230 for awhile to speed the process up.

[/QUOTE]
Use both soap and lemi shine at the same time?

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
Yes, put the soap and the lemi-shine in the water at the same time. It doesn't take much lemi-shine. All it does is give you that new brass look. To much or if you let it sit for awhile the brass will turn a pinkish color.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="Shawn Agne]On the stainless steal media, a squire or two of dawn detergent and then some lemi-shine. Let them run for about 3 hours. Just make sure all the pins are out of the brass. You can let them air dry or I put mine on a pizza pan in the oven and turn it on 230 for awhile to speed the process up.

[/QUOTE]
Ya know that's funny I already told the wife that I planned on drying my brass in her oven; she told me that I could do that all that I wanted so long as she got a new oven and I could put the slide in oven downstairs in the Reloading room in the basement, sounds like a win-win to me!

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
Well awaiting my flight home and then after I hang out with the family for a bit I get to open up all the boxes for the Reloading room! Looking forward to getting the bench built soon and getting the press operational!

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
You're wife is going to use that ammo you reload on you if you fire up that auto feeder in her dining room.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
LMAO! pretty much her words, I said hey honey why don't we just set it up on the breakfast bar lol, her look was pretty priceless lol

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Dirtbike] [URL="https://www.southeasttraders.com/profile/743-chris-timmerman/ said:
@Chris Timmerman[/URL] , @Shawn Agne, are y'all familiar with Berry's projectiles? Are they ok through a standard glock barrel? The prices seem right for training ammo
I am. Berry's are good. They are plated vs. jacketed. Not a bug difference in functionality between either type. I've run them with no problems.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
Good deal, I wasn't sure on them, all I've ever shot was jacketed rds and was concerned with lead fouling in the glock barrel

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I should have specified, I've shot Berry's plated bullets. Not their hard cast lead. I would not suggest hard cast lead through a Glock.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]I should have specified, I've shot Berry's plated bullets. Not their hard cast lead. I would not suggest hard cast lead through a Glock.

[/QUOTE]
That's where my thinking was,

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
A few hours of work and I made a damn heavy bench, 3 ft high 2 ft deep and 8 ft long, 4×4 legs, the table top was framed in with 2×6's and then topped with 2×6's and then covered in 3/4" plywood, bottom shelf pretty much the same configuration, 2 1/2" deck screws and then carriage bolted together with 6" × 1/2" shank carriage bolts then lock nuts to top it off, it's over kill bit I say better over than under lol, got the press secured where I want it and just moving right along

@Mike Weidleman I'm really sorry man I didn't even realize that completely hijacked your post, I can move on to a new one of you prefer man View attachment 525 View attachment 526 View attachment 527 View attachment 528 View attachment 529 View attachment 530 View attachment 531 View attachment 532 View attachment 533