SHTF: 5.56 or bust?

Faktory 47

sewerman68

Hunter
Jul 28, 2015
temple
You'd better have everything you need before the shtf. Buying a caliber based on your perceived anticipation on it's availability post-problem, is just foolish.
"enough" is also pretty subjective, but I'll bet the number (quantity of ammo required) is much, much lower than people anticipate. If you're blowing through thousands of rounds, odds are you aren't going to be around very long. The person that makes it will probably do so with a few mags, being careful not to engage people, and staying hidden, quiet, and out of trouble.

This.
How many firefights do you realistically expect to survive?

Bruce

Hunter
Sep 28, 2015
Kennesaw
1) What's your basis for the idea that the AK is more reliable? They do fail, just as a quality AR will run and run and run.

2) Better round is pretty subjective. If I can make 8/10 hits at 300 with an AR, but you only hit 5/10 with an AK, which is better? Obviously, the 762 hits harder, but the trajectory and sights suck. Only hits count in a defensive situation. To me, that's simply a matter of personal preference.

3) SBR / AR pistol negates the overall length issue vs a folding stock.

Can't speak to the current iteration of the AR used in the desert, but I remember cussing an A1 when the sands of Ft.Sill made it a pseudo bolt action. Although it was more reliable, the A2 was still maintenance intensive, something a real AK (can't speak for the imports) isn't. As for the value of the round, ask the guys who did time caked in crud what they think of the 5.56. If you read up on the AK, you will find that it was designed with looser tolerances, sort of like the original 1911, to increase reliability.

My 2 cents: As a survivor, please consider holding those long range shots while in survival mode. Better to move off than bring down (as they say) A Whole World of ... on yourself. There are better ways of impacting the enemy without making yourself a target.

Reactions: Shemp

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Can't speak to the current iteration of the AR used in the desert, but I remember cussing an A1 when the sands of Ft.Sill made it a pseudo bolt action. Although it was more reliable, the A2 was still maintenance intensive, something a real AK (can't speak for the imports) isn't. As for the value of the round, ask the guys who did time caked in crud what they think of the 5.56. If you read up on the AK, you will find that it was designed with looser tolerances, sort of like the original 1911, to increase reliability.

My 2 cents: As a survivor, please consider holding those long range shots while in survival mode. Better to move off than bring down (as they say) A Whole World of ... on yourself. There are better ways of impacting the enemy without making yourself a target.
No disrespect intended here, but those old myths really don't apply. All a decent AR needs in order to run thousands of rounds without cleaning is a reasonable amount of lubricant.

Reactions: freedom

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
No disrespect intended here, but those old myths really don't apply. All a decent AR needs in order to run thousands of rounds without cleaning is a reasonable amount of lubricant.

Well...technically it isn't a myth. Modern guns are built better and more importantly we learned how to run them because of the very real problems the M16 had in its early days.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
20,000 rounds, no cleaning. I'm not sure what else there is to say. The AK is certainly a workhorse and reliable. But the longstanding myth that it is more reliable than the AR is unfounded. Old military protocols for cleaning and maintenance have more or less been proven to be dead wrong. Keep an AR wet and happy and they'll just keep chugging along.

http://ballisticradio.com/endurance-tests/kac-sr-15-mod-2/

Reactions: DoglegArms

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
20,000 rounds, no cleaning. I'm not sure what else there is to say. The AK is certainly a workhorse and reliable. But the longstanding myth that it is more reliable than the AR is unfounded. Old military protocols for cleaning and maintenance have more or less been proven to be dead wrong. Keep an AR wet and happy and they'll just keep chugging along.

http://ballisticradio.com/endurance-tests/kac-sr-15-mod-2/

Cool...a $2300 AR 15 shot 20k rounds...while impressive, it's also a bit silly. If a $900 Colt does the same I'd be impressed. For $2300 one could buy a WASR And 7400 rounds and never shoot it out....

ARs are far more reliable when kept wet than given credit for, no doubt there. Start banging it around and dragging it through the Styx and I'd have more confidence in a $550 WASR AK than a $550 AR...

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Well...technically it isn't a myth. Modern guns are built better and more importantly we learned how to run them because of the very real problems the M16 had in its early days.
Maybe myth is too harsh. Didn't mean to sound that way. But modern thinking has shown that all they need is lubrication. (assuming that the gun is of decent quality) This was really borne out of the last 20 years of fighting in the desert. I guess all I'm saying is that choosing an AK based on the "reliability" aspect alone is a poor reason to discount the AR.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Seems like back in the day NWS did an AR vs AK video.

Anyone got a link?

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Cool...a $2300 AR 15 shot 20k rounds...while impressive, it's also a bit silly. If a $900 Colt does the same I'd be impressed. For $2300 one could buy a WASR And 7400 rounds and never shoot it out....

ARs are far more reliable when kept wet than given credit for, no doubt there. Start banging it around and dragging it through the Styx and I'd have more confidence in a $550 WASR AK than a $550 AR...
I'd be surprised if a Colt wouldn't do the same. Heck, the Bushmasters used in the Lucky gunner 10k round tests fared pretty darn well.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I'd be surprised if a Colt wouldn't do the same. Heck, the Bushmasters used in the Lucky gunner 10k round tests fared pretty darn well.

My beloved Bushmaster will hold moa with Federal Fusion hunting ammo and a 3x scope, many a bolt gun and Garand will not do that !

Bruce

Hunter
Sep 28, 2015
Kennesaw
So, is the design of my 20+ year old Colt HBAR A2 different than current models, or are you guys running some special oil?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
My beloved Bushmaster will hold moa with Federal Fusion hunting ammo and a 3x scope, many a bolt gun and Garand will not do that !

Maybe...but whether that -06 round hits the left pectoral or right pectoral it ain't getting back up...

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
So, is the design of my 20+ year old Colt HBAR A2 different than current models, or are you guys running some special oil?
Good lubricant does make a difference. A lot of guys still use clp or rem oil. Those tend to burn off quickly or evaporate over time though. Newer stuff like MPro7, Slip 2000 ELW, Fireclean, weaponshield, etc does actually help from a reliability standpoint.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

Thought about this over the weekend. The sr15 endurance test is highly impressive, but it may not be a fair comparison. Most AR's would have likely had a bolt failure with that round count and firing schedule. The SR15 uses a slightly modified bolt that's warrantied to 20k rounds minimum. Most E3 bolts run 40k or more before breaking. Keep in mind that a standard AR bolt is lucky to survive 10-15k rounds, sometimes much less. Without getting into the intricacies of the SR15 design, I'll just say that it's not your standard AR. It's more like an evolution of the design.

So, taking that into account, I thought about other recent examples of endurance and torture testing that used a standard ar15. The two that immediately come to mind are the BCM carbine known as "Filthy 14" used by EAG Tactical in their training courses. The second recent example were the guns used in the Lucky Gunner test. In those cases, with good ammunition, the guns have run extremely well and go a long way toward disproving the AR's are unreliable myth. Also in those examples, a key component of the reliability was proper lubrication.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Thought about this over the weekend. The sr15 endurance test is highly impressive, but it may not be a fair comparison. Most AR's would have likely had a bolt failure with that round count and firing schedule. The SR15 uses a slightly modified bolt that's warrantied to 20k rounds minimum. Most E3 bolts run 40k or more before breaking. Keep in mind that a standard AR bolt is lucky to survive 10-15k rounds, sometimes much less. Without getting into the intricacies of the SR15 design, I'll just say that it's not your standard AR. It's more like an evolution of the design.

So, taking that into account, I thought about other recent examples of endurance and torture testing that used a standard ar15. The two that immediately come to mind are the BCM carbine known as "Filthy 14" used by EAG Tactical in their training courses. The second recent example were the guns used in the Lucky Gunner test. In those cases, with good ammunition, the guns have run extremely well and go a long way toward disproving the AR's are unreliable myth. Also in those examples, a key component of the reliability was proper lubrication.

Well I'm glad that you aren't blinded by AR devotion to realize the SR15 test was a bit of a misnomer.

I do fully realize that ARs aren't as fragile as many belive. The lucky gunner test did prove that they do need better quality ammo to run reliably as tula completely choked two guns of memory serves.
It should also be noted that the filthy 14 was cleaned twice before it got a detail clean. ...and that the extractor and spring needed to be replaced multiple times.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Well I'm glad that you aren't blinded by AR devotion to realize the SR15 test was a bit of a misnomer.

I do fully realize that ARs aren't as fragile as many belive. The lucky gunner test did prove that they do need better quality ammo to run reliably as tula completely choked two guns of memory serves.
It should also be noted that the filthy 14 was cleaned twice before it got a detail clean. ...and that the extractor and spring needed to be replaced multiple times.

Yeah, I'm an admitted Knights Armament fan. But not blindly so. There are several things that they do that I don't like. But if they sold E3 barrels and bolts, I wouldn't use anything else.

And you're right about the Tula ammo. But it was an ammunition test after all. The gun running brass cased 223, ran like a top. The tula ammo was definitely a problem. If I recall, it plugged a gas tube.

Filthy 14 did have some minor maintenance performed. But there are a few things to consider. 1) those guns are used to train mostly LE, so some preventative maintenance is normal. Just like most departments and the military regularly swap buffer springs, bolts, barrels, extractors, etc all according to a predetermined pm schedule. 2) the gun performed extremely well under an abusive firing schedule and was pretty much neglected in terms cleaning regimen. They were trying to make it fail. Bottom line, we all clean our guns before they get that nasty and a reasonable amount of maintenance is all it really takes to keep one up and running.

Just to be clear for everyone, I'm not trying to make an argument that an AR is superior to an AK. Just trying to illustrate that some commonly held beliefs may be misplaced. Either one would serve you well if you really needed it.

For me, the ability to easily add an optic, light, etc is a big factor. Also, the lighter weight and better accuracy at distance, along with the ability to run the gun faster at close range, steer me to the AR. It's just personal preference.

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
For me, the ability to easily add an optic, light, etc is a big factor. Also, the lighter weight and better accuracy at distance, along with the ability to run the gun faster at close range, steer me to the AR. It's just personal preference.

Exactly right.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Yeah, I'm an admitted Knights Armament fan. But not blindly so. There are several things that they do that I don't like. But if they sold E3 barrels and bolts, I wouldn't use anything else.

And you're right about the Tula ammo. But it was an ammunition test after all. The gun running brass cased 223, ran like a top. The tula ammo was definitely a problem. If I recall, it plugged a gas tube.

Filthy 14 did have some minor maintenance performed. But there are a few things to consider. 1) those guns are used to train mostly LE, so some preventative maintenance is normal. Just like most departments and the military regularly swap buffer springs, bolts, barrels, extractors, etc all according to a predetermined pm schedule. 2) the gun performed extremely well under an abusive firing schedule and was pretty much neglected in terms cleaning regimen. They were trying to make it fail. Bottom line, we all clean our guns before they get that nasty and a reasonable amount of maintenance is all it really takes to keep one up and running.

Just to be clear for everyone, I'm not trying to make an argument that an AR is superior to an AK. Just trying to illustrate that some commonly held beliefs may be misplaced. Either one would serve you well if you really needed it.

In the end, it really is personal preference.

But AKMs are better. Jk.

Reactions: DarthVader