SHTF: 5.56 or bust?

Faktory 47

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I think that is one of the next builds out of the 3 lowers I have in progress. I had a SOTA upper with ACS mags and the upgraded firing pin, never had any issues out of it, but I sold it off. I think it's about that time again to have another
Mine's a SOTA upper as well.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
why? if it all works the same...
Well, that's the catch. It doesn't really work the same. Steel is going to require more cleaning in order to maintain 100% reliability.
If SHTF and I can only take one gun, I'll take one for the team. You guys just go ahead and eat me first. I don't want to live in a one gun world.
That was my thought as well. If the world went to hell in a handbasket, I'd be throwing every gun I own and every round of ammo into the bed of my truck and heading for the hills!

Reactions: Mac11FA

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
That was my thought as well. If the world went to hell in a handbasket, I'd be throwing every gun I own and every round of ammo into the bed of my truck and heading for the hills!
That's the way I envision it going down.

I want to just go ahead and get a spot in the hills now so that I don't have to worry about heading there.

Reactions: Mac11FA and Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
That's the way I envision it going down.

I want to just go ahead and get a spot in the hills now so that I don't have to worry about heading there.

I want to as well...only the bank account is my limiting factor.

I'll likely grab my AK105 clone, 8 mags in my belt pouches, a tin of ammo and a "cleaning" bag.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
@DarthVader, question

I used to shoot mostly steel, and still shoot some, mostly when doing run and gun stuff where accuracy isn't an issue. I've always shot a mag of brass every few mags to help clean the chamber. I would always finish with bas while the gun was still hot. Wrong? Never had a single issue with steel beyond a few hard primers, but don't know if my "technique" does any good or not.

I don't see a world where ammo scavenging is a possibility, and if you are scavenging ammo you may as well take the guns too. Stack whatever gun that's reliable and you can shoot well. ARs are easier to shoot well because of the sights. But if running an optic or red dot, aks are fine out to about 300. I've seen plenty of steel .223 below .22/rd, and even reloaded brass is .30/rd.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
@DarthVader, question

I used to shoot mostly steel, and still shoot some, mostly when doing run and gun stuff where accuracy isn't an issue. I've always shot a mag of brass every few mags to help clean the chamber. I would always finish with bas while the gun was still hot. Wrong? Never had a single issue with steel beyond a few hard primers, but don't know if my "technique" does any good or not.

I don't see a world where ammo scavenging is a possibility, and if you are scavenging ammo you may as well take the guns too. Stack whatever gun that's reliable and you can shoot well. ARs are easier to shoot well because of the sights. But if running an optic or red dot, aks are fine out to about 300. I've seen plenty of steel .223 below .22/rd, and even reloaded brass is .30/rd.

I can't see many scenarios where shooting past 300 yards would be possible even in the suburbs where I live.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I want to as well...only the bank account is my limiting factor.
I get that. I'm finally getting to where I want to be financially and just am just not ready to walk away from the business opportunities to go live that quiet lifestyle just yet. It's kind of a catch 22.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I can't see many scenarios where shooting past 300 yards would be possible even in the suburbs where I live.

Completely understand. But with the standard iron sights on both rifles, I would call an AK half as accurate as an AR, even though the inherent accuracy is closer. A 300 yard shot is at least as difficult as a 600 yard shot with an AR. The loadout is heavier and the recoil is worse.

If this advice is for a non shooter, then the AR hands down. If this someone already has an opinion, then they should do what they want.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Completely understand. But with the standard iron sights on both rifles, I would call an AK half as accurate as an AR, even though the inherent accuracy is closer. A 300 yard shot is at least as difficult as a 600 yard shot with an AR. The loadout is heavier and the recoil is worse.

If this advice is for a non shooter, then the AR hands down. If this someone already has an opinion, then they should do what they want.

Originally intended for a non-shooter but now this has morphed into something else....

I agree, standard AK sights are horrid. Tech sights help, but make the gun far more difficult to disassemble. I don't know if that trade off is worth while...being that tech sights replace a part of the fun that is integral to function I am leery of relying on them.

The equation becomes a bit more blurred when it is AK 74 vs AR. Still have crappy sights, but the terminal effectiveness of 5.45 is superior ( arguable) than 5.56 using standard ball rounds and the load out is on par weight wise...

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
@DarthVader, question

Actually, shooting brass after steel can create issues because of how brass expands and seals against the chamber walls. Steel doesn't fire form like brass to seal the chamber and allows alot of crud into the chamber during firing. Shooting brass behind it often leads to a stuck brass case when the brass expands and sticks. As long as you use a chamber brush every few hundred rounds, you should be trouble free.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Actually, shooting brass after steel can create issues because of how brass expands and seals against the chamber walls. Steel doesn't fire form like brass to seal the chamber and allows alot of crud into the chamber during firing. Shooting brass behind it often leads to a stuck brass case when the brass expands and sticks. As long as you use a chamber brush every few hundred rounds, you should be trouble free.

That was my thinking. But I infered most of the stuck case issues are from shooting steel, then shooting brass in the next session. My thinking was, by alternating together, the brass fireforms and removes the crud left behind from the steel. That doing both, while the gun is still hot, I can use the brass as a cleaning agent before it builds up too much and had a chance to set in and congeal in the chamber.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Does this also hold true when using a .22 conversion kit? I've heard you are supposed to run full 5.56 after a few hundred rounds of .22 conversion to clean out the gas tube, etc, but never thought about junk getting back in the chamber

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
That was my thinking. But I infered most of the stuck case issues are from shooting steel, then shooting brass in the next session. My thinking was, by alternating together, the brass fireforms and removes the crud left behind from the steel. That doing both, while the gun is still hot, I can use the brass as a cleaning agent before it builds up too much and had a chance to set in and congeal in the chamber.
Stuck cases are just a fact of life with steel. Sooner or later it's gonna happen unless you scrub the chamber every now and then.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Does this also hold true when using a .22 conversion kit? I've heard you are supposed to run full 5.56 after a few hundred rounds of .22 conversion to clean out the gas tube, etc, but never thought about junk getting back in the chamber
That's more about blowing out all the lead and powder from the gas tube. If it accumulated over time, it could begin to restrict gas flow.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
That's more about blowing out all the lead and powder from the gas tube. If it accumulated over time, it could begin to restrict gas flow.
I get that, but does the .22 conversion allow for build up in the chamber and require a brush as you mentioned?

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I get that, but does the .22 conversion allow for build up in the chamber and requiring a brush as you mentioned?
Honestly, I don't know. I've never used a conversion kit, just a dedicated upper. I would hope that the o-ring usually found on the conversion would keep the crud in the bore and out of the chamber.

Bypass

Arrrgghh!!! I'm a pirate.
Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
For a poor man, one-gun operation, is choosing anything other than a 5.56 AR pure idiocy? Or do you think another caliber with sufficient stockpiles of ammo would be ok?

I have a friend in the Reserve that was asking about what to get for his first rifle and he does have a SHTF mindset, albeit in the back of his mind. I was about to tell him AK74 then realized that when you get down to brass tacks, as much as I hate to admit it, a "me too" tacticool AR might really be the best choice.

Thoughts?
I would tell him to get a AK. Simply because he can stockpile ammo for it rather cheaply.

Reactions: Shemp

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Honestly, I don't know. I've never used a conversion kit, just a dedicated upper. I would hope that the o-ring usually found on the conversion would keep the crud in the bore and out of the chamber.
gotcha (I'm too cheap for a decidated .22 upper for now); I tend to do a full clean after most shooting, but was honestly curious as to how much junk gets past the .22 conversion.