dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Response to The Retardation of the Firearms Industry

tacticool-cradling-weapon-dpc-768x512.jpg

Recently an article was published by the Havoc Journal titled, "The Retardation of the Firearms Industry" by Steve Cee. In this article, Mr. Cee's opinionated commentary points out some very hard "truths" about the direction the firearms industry has taken. With any industry that experiences a growth explosion, thanks primarily to the 2008 Democratic Presidential Election of Barack Hussain Obama, there's a percentage of that growth that boarder-lines on the absurd.

Anyone who has attended SHOT Show, NRA Show, or any major gun show, as well as spent any time online frequenting gun communities and forums like AR15.com, TheOutdoorsTrader.com and SoutheastTraders.com will identify with many of the arguments that Mr. Cee makes in his article. The same argument could be also applied to many big box and some smaller gun stores. Mr. Cee argues that owning a number of firearms, or taking some training, does not make you a firearms expert or tactical expert, and I would agree with that. Mr. Cee cites reputable men in the industry as experts and contrasts everyone else against that remarkably high standard criteria. While I agree with Mr. Cee that those men like Clint Smith are some of the industry's greatest and most knowledgable resources, there is also a tremendous amount of bullshit in the firearms industry and pseudo experts that have no real experience, nor expertise.

However there is a great number of individuals that are qualified to provide information to others that may not have been in the military, have been in a fire fight, have went to armorer's school or have worked as an apprentice under a gunsmith for years. It is this community and gun culture made up of "regular Joe's" that are the fabric of great communities like this one. Sure, there is a good amount of bullshit on this site as there is on TheOutdoorsTrader.com and AR15.com, but there are also those people in our very community that I trust, that can provide solid advice, information and education. @NWS is an encyclopedia of gun information. He helped me decide and find my very first AR. He didn't tell me to "buy this specific AR", but rather provided me with the information needed to make an informed decision and then when one popped up in the classifieds for an amazing price, he called me and told me to jump on that one if that was the one I was looking for, and I still own that very AR, 5 years later.

So no matter how much bullshit, fuckery and industry retardation that is prevalent, there is also some amazingly helpful and well educated individuals out there that should not be discounted. Seek them out, do a litmus test and make your own informed decision.
Continue reading the original Southeast Traders article.

Last edited:

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I'm guessing not a single one of you took the time to actually read the article that the response was written for as not a single comment contributed to the discussion of the article. Yes? No?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
He resin hobbyist are the main producers of content now is due to the consumer. Primarily, the consumer is a hobbyist who demands a product geared toward his use. If the industry was actually centered on military, police, and security. Then it would be much much smaller as a whole since guns are are even just a small part of those careers entire needs and demands.

Reactions: dougiemac

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I'm guessing not a single one of you took the time to actually read the article that the response was written for as not a single comment contributed to the discussion of the article. Yes? No?
It's just that the main article is kind of insulting to its own consumers. Mil and Leo aren't hopping around blogs looking for advice on weaponry, they're taking what their armory gives them and taking classes prescribed to them.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
It's just that the main article is kind of insulting to its own consumers. Mil and Leo aren't hopping around blogs looking for advice on weaponry, they're taking what their armory gives them and taking classes prescribed to them.
BOOM! This! Now this is the discussion that I was hoping we'd have. :)

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
BOOM! This! Now this is the discussion that I was hoping we'd have. :)

My 2 cents.... first off, the reason why it has exploded is b/c the 1994 ban ended in 2004, and the consumers went wild buying stuff. In 2008 with the election of obummer, the writing on the wall said he would try to ban, or put major restrictions on guns and gun owners. He ( obummer) got his wish for a excuse with the 2012 sandy hook shooting, even with the anti-gun nuts dancing in the blood of dead children, he still didnt have the support for what he wanted, another 1994 style assault weapons ban in 2013, but a lot more broad and permanent.

So with all the threats to gun ownership, from the current administration, the gun industry is pumping out stuff as fast as they can. Now, what do I think for all the stuff that is coming out... Me, I dont really like dressing up my AR's or AK's, I dont feel the need to have the latest Key Mod rail, or have a picatinny rail on every square inch of my rifle. If you want to slap that shit all over your rifle, thats fine, all it dose is tell me you have never carried that rifle for more than a hour at most... And you end up looking like the asshat in the picture.

Only in the gun community do you get people asking about something, and what the draw backs are, and then defending why they use it. I'll give you a example, Frog Lube, if you ask me, I'll tell you that stuff is just snake oil, its a bullshit product that won't stand up to hard use. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with anyone running frog lube in a AR 15 torture test, vs my Doublestar M4 running CLP.

Take a class, get out and train, even if its just dry firing for 10 min. a night. Quit worrying about making sure your rifle is the exact same shade of FDE as your hand guards, no one, at least no one, who is serious about their gear and training, gives a shit what shade of FDE your rifle is. As someone else put it to me one time, "it's more about the Indian, than the bow..."

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Is this supposed to be a serious article with a title like that? Just curious.

The assumption that we all own guns for the same reasons, or that we're all walking the same path to the same destination in respect to our firearms related profession or hobbies is the type of generalization that detracts more from the sport than misinformation by a gun store employee. The goal fro some gun owners is simply to feel empowered or "tacticool". Many approach it like you would cosplay at Comic Con, and that's fine with me.

Some people are serious about training, serious about the self-defense aspect of gun ownership and some just like the way they look or the way not being unarmed makes them feel. Some people *gasp* don't own guns for defense at all, but purely as a form of sport/meditation. I met a rimfire target shooter at the range this weekend that fell into that category.

The firearms community has grown dramatically, and we have all kinds of new interests and new types of gun owners among us now. Just to be clear...that's freaking awesome for Second Amendment Rights. Not everyone wants to perfect weak hand shooting techniques, some folks just want to sit in from of the tv with their PS90, some snap caps, and shoot at the tv while watching Stargate. They may have friends that ask advice on guns (because they're the only gun owner they know---and we can be JUDGEMENTAL ASSHOLES) and they pass along some advice that might not be precise or even correct. Whatever, people make mistakes, and people learn. The diversifying gun community is going to provide more strength than weakness, and if that's retardation :rolleyes:, then so be it.