Pistol AR-15 - I'd like some thoughts from y'all

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
How did I miss this the 1st time.... NEVER use Frog lube. NEVER...

WHOA! Everybody put down your pitchforks and torches!
This is also the first time I mentioned it - clearly I haven't thought about the stuff enough to even research it, or I might have known it has gotten a bad reputation.

I'm NOT a Froglube fan. I happened to pick up a jar of the paste (smells like menthol, yuck) just to try it out, and found that for one of my buffer tubes that was pretty scratchy, it got nice and slick when I slathered this shit on the spring and ran the BCG through a few times.

Other than that, I use good old LSA from a mil-spec can. When that runs out, I've got a can of EezOx that somebody told me MG users really like.
Anybody ever heard of EezOx? Should I shitcan that too?

But I'm NOT giving up my LSA, that stuff is good as GOLD. I've treated pistols with it and worn them on hot sticky summer days in an IWB holster and they don't rust. I've removed finger rust with LSA and 0000 steel wool from guns that most people thought were ruined. Truly a shame they stopped making LSA.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
This is also the first time I mentioned it - clearly I haven't thought about the stuff enough to even research it, or I might have known it has gotten a bad reputation.

I'm NOT a Froglube fan. I happened to pick up a jar of the paste (smells like menthol, yuck) just to try it out, and found that for one of my buffer tubes that was pretty scratchy, it got nice and slick when I slathered this shit on the spring and ran the BCG through a few times.

Other than that, I use good old LSA from a mil-spec can. When that runs out, I've got a can of EezOx that somebody told me MG users really like.

But I'm NOT giving up my LSA, that stuff is good as GOLD. I've treated pistols with it and worn them on hot sticky summer days in an IWB holster and they don't rust. I've removed finger rust with LSA and 0000 steel wool from guns that most people thought were ruined. Truly a shame they stopped making LSA.
He used Frog Lube! C'mon boys! Let's get him!!!!

Jk. Seriously, they were just looking out for you and your investment. I bought a thing of frog lube when it first came out. My uncle swore by it. Used it once on a bolt gun. It's still on my shelf. I'm glad @EugenFJR and @Wallace explained it. Now I'll warn my uncle and give my brother in law my bottle. Fucking prick.... :thumbsup:

Reactions: Axeman

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

We were just trying to look out for you... And the reason most, if not all, new AR-15's are "scratchy" in the buffer tube and the BCG, the reason of this is because the new tube and BCG have the factory parkerization and before you shoot it, its going to sound like everything is, scratching together, this is normal. And until you get a few thousand rounds down the pipe, then it will all smooth out.
I like to run my AR rifles "wet" with CLP, it's pretty much the only stuff I use. for 2 reasons, one I have a lifetime supply of it from the Army, 2nd, I've ran my guns very, very hard, and never had a issue b/c of the CLP... I've had mag issues, before with the MagPul mags, so I don't use them either, and once again, I have a lifetime supply of M16 mags as well... ( these I got from the Air Force, long story...)

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yeah, but have you ever seen one for sale?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I added it to my cart on their site and everything seems fine. Are they that hard to find? Should I buy this now while I have the chance lol?

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I added it to my cart on their site and everything seems fine. Are they that hard to find? Should I buy this now while I have the chance lol?
I guess they are more common than I thought. I've honestly never seen them available, except for being on the Vltor site and out of stock. But then again, I don't own a pistol AR. So maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leshaire

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Sionics barrel is only $190 ($70 more, and no oversized gas port → who knows what size you will actually get with PSA, their rifle gas barrels have a small port, and their shorter gas systems run larger). Factor in using a BCM upper receiver, and you would actually come out cheaper than using the PSA barrel and WAR upper.

I'll admit, KMR rails are not that pleasant to install, and much worse to remove later on, but are rock solid once on there. Geissele is my favorite rail in terms of robustness and ease of installation, but most of their offerings are on the heavy side. The advantage of that is they are built like a tank.

Ok, I've now done some reading about gas ports, and tried to get the gas port sizes from a few places. Scionics refused to release their gas port sizes.
They actually have three 11.5" barrels, a medium weight, a lightweight (.625 gas block) and a medium weight with Reduced Gas Port. They recommend it for suppressed used only.
From research I did on other blogs it seems the Reduced gas port is around 0.070". Nobody seems to know or care at all about the other two barrels.
@Wallace , which barrel do you think would be the best for this build?
Frankly, I'm leaning toward the lightweight if the gas port is the right size.
Tell me why I'm wrong please.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Ok, I've now done some reading about gas ports, and tried to get the gas port sizes from a few places. Scionics refused to release their gas port sizes.
They actually have three 11.5" barrels, a medium weight, a lightweight (.625 gas block) and a medium weight with Reduced Gas Port. They recommend it for suppressed used only.
From research I did on other blogs it seems the Reduced gas port is around 0.070". Nobody seems to know or care at all about the other two barrels.
@Wallace , which barrel do you think would be the best for this build?
Frankly, I'm leaning toward the lightweight if the gas port is the right size.
Tell me why I'm wrong please.
I am not going to give away Will's gas port size, but just know, regardless of which barrel you choose, it will not be a crazy sized port like you could get with PSA or Radical, etc....

If you are for sure going to run a can in the future, the RGP MC would be the way to go (best of both worlds → smaller gas port, and medium contour to help cope with the added influences of a can). I personally only have 1 light weight contour barrel (.625), all my others are medium +. Not sure what type of shooting you will do with this, but the LW option could be just fine for you if just plinking around mostly. Lightweight barrels typically do not handle heat as well and tend to have groups open up more the longer you shoot it. With an 11.5" gun, I would assume bench rest target shooting is not a requirement of this pistol and thus a LW barrel that could get heat soaked quickly may not be a concern of yours (Just going for practical accuracy).

My personal preference is to have a little weight in the rifle. I don't like super light builds as I find it harder to steady my self on target. More important to me though, is a balanced rifle. Being mindful to not end up with a rifle that nose dives, or sits heavy stock end.

If it were me, I would end up with this (RGP CL MC)...again, my preference. You would probably be just fine with the CL LW CL though if you are concerned about overall weight.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/5/61-5-chrome-lined-stripped.html

Reactions: Righter13

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I am not going to give away Will's gas port size, but just know, regardless of which barrel you choose, it will not be a crazy sized port like you could get with PSA or Radical, etc....

If you are for sure going to run a can in the future, the RGP MC would be the way to go (best of both worlds → smaller gas port, and medium contour to help cope with the added influences of a can). I personally only have 1 light weight contour barrel (.625), all my others are medium +. Not sure what type of shooting you will do with this, but the LW option could be just fine for you if just plinking around mostly. Lightweight barrels typically do not handle heat as well and tend to have groups open up more the longer you shoot it. With an 11.5" gun, I would assume bench rest target shooting is not a requirement of this pistol and thus a LW barrel that could get heat soaked quickly may not be a concern of yours (Just going for practical accuracy).

My personal preference is to have a little weight in the rifle. I don't like super light builds as I find it harder to steady my self on target. More important to me though, is a balanced rifle. Being mindful to not end up with a rifle that nose dives, or sits heavy stock end.

If it were me, I would end up with this (RGP CL MC)...again, my preference. You would probably be just fine with the CL LW CL though if you are concerned about overall weight.

Okay, 1st off, I'll never run a can on my pistol build... So what problems might I run into if I go the PSA, 11.5 pistol kit route? I want the A2 front sight post, on the Barrel, a flip up rear sight, and prob. going to go with a Vortex Strike fire, maybe a EoTech, that I have sitting around. And the Shockwave brace.( I very much intend to shoulder this gun.) This is a SHTF, gun, that I can fight with until I get home. ( think LA riots, etc. etc... )

Reactions: dial1911

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

Shit.

My purpose for this thing is an overall replacement of the Truck Rifle (for reasons first stated in this thread), back-pack EDC, possible go-to for home defense after Can is added (since it'd be the only one -at first- with a QD mount) because nobody likes losing their hearing.

Beyond that, I really like my 16" ARs for plinking and long-range use (one of each set up for each purpose) and my LR-308 for if things really ever went to shit, or if I ever get to go Hog hunting.

So with that in mind, it seems like the LW barrel might be my answer - as long as you think it will function well enough suppressed.

I was considering "cheaping out" with a Ballistic Advantage barrel that has a .082 gas port, but now that seems like it would be too large.
Also it's a 10.5 and I've learned more in my research about why many consider the 11.5 to be the minimum length.

Reactions: Wallace

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Okay, 1st off, I'll never run a can on my pistol build... So what problems might I run into if I go the PSA, 11.5 pistol kit route? I want the A2 front sight post, on the Barrel, a flip up rear sight, and prob. going to go with a Vortex Strike fire, maybe a EoTech, that I have sitting around. And the Shockwave brace.( I very much intend to shoulder this gun.) This is a SHTF, gun, that I can fight with until I get home. ( think LA riots, etc. etc... )

Likely no issues, but it's PSA, s who knows.... If you go the PSA route, it will be gassy, but most likely run ok. Be sure to take it apart and verify everything was properly assembled -> carrier key with correct fasteners and torqued properly, proper staking, barren nut tight and installed with aeroshell 33ms, muzzle device properly installed, gas tube and carrier key alignment, FSB not canted and F marked if on a flattop receiver.

The gas port will be on the large size which will only be slowed down by heavier buffers. The rifle in general will just cycle more aggressive than a barrel with a proper sized port. Accuracy? YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Shit.

My purpose for this thing is an overall replacement of the Truck Rifle (for reasons first stated in this thread), back-pack EDC, possible go-to for home defense after Can is added (since it'd be the only one -at first- with a QD mount) because nobody likes losing their hearing.

Beyond that, I really like my 16" ARs for plinking and long-range use (one of each set up for each purpose) and my LR-308 for if things really ever went to shit, or if I ever get to go Hog hunting.

So with that in mind, it seems like the LW barrel might be my answer - as long as you think it will function well enough suppressed.

I was considering "cheaping out" with a Ballistic Advantage barrel that has a .082 gas port, but now that seems like it would be too large.
Also it's a 10.5 and I've learned more in my research about why many consider the 11.5 to be the minimum length.

Again, I am sure you would be fine, but since it will most likely wear a can later on, I would pick the RGP MC CL.

Either option will most likely make you happy though. .082 is just too big IMHO. Stick with the Sionics.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Again, I am sure you would be fine, but since it will most likely wear a can later on, I would pick the RGP MC CL.

Either option will most likely make you happy though. .082 is just too big IMHO. Stick with the Sionics.

So I see that you've recommended BCM upper receivers. I've also found a BLEM upper at Scionics.
I've also bought stripped uppers from other companies before, and as far as Mil-Spec uppers the only difference I've ever seen is in the spacing of the slots on the Pic rail.

Why buy a Spike's or BCM (pick your flavor) over the forged mil-spec upper somebody else has? I've never been one to care about which name is stamped on my gun. I went with Aero Precision lowers before they were a huge name. Now I'm using 80%s.

I'm braced for impact; hit me with the truth...

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
So I see that you've recommended BCM upper receivers. I've also found a BLEM upper at Scionics.
I've also bought stripped uppers from other companies before, and as far as Mil-Spec uppers the only difference I've ever seen is in the spacing of the slots on the Pic rail.

Why buy a Spike's or BCM (pick your flavor) over the forged mil-spec upper somebody else has? I've never been one to care about which name is stamped on my gun. I went with Aero Precision lowers before they were a huge name. Now I'm using 80%s.

I'm braced for impact; hit me with the truth...

The reality is that sooooooo many companies mark things "mil-spec" when in reality, they are not.

Will you be fine with an Anderson or PSA? Maybe, probably?? Who knows...

Will you be fine with BCM/Sionics? Yes. Chances of having a dimensionally out of tolerance receiver of slim.

Weaver vs picatinny should not be a question on a true mil-spec receiver. Picatinny is the spec. When you get into cheap receivers, you have to question, are you actually getting 7075-T6? Are the feed ramps properly milled (some cannot even get that right), will you even get t-markings?, will the interior be dry filmed coated per spec? Will the take down/pivot pin holes be properly milled? Will the gas tube pass through be properly centered? Is it really properly anodized? Etc....

For the most part, those all happen with many manufacturers, most of the time, quality parts ensure that's what you get.

BCM does have a slightly different feature for having an undersized barrel extensions ID socket. It's done like that to allow a very tight fit and reduce the chances of a barrel installing with play in the receiver. Do you "need" it? No? It can actually make getting a barrel in and out a little difficult, but once installed, it's a very solid assembly.

In regards to Aero, their receivers seem ok. Their assembly practices blow dogs for quarters, but my personal experience with just the receivers has been positive In regards to parts fitment with their receivers. I personally have an M5 rifle and a few AR 15 uppers/lowers.

Point is, you will most likely be fine with the Sionics or BCM blem....they are typically just cosmetic issues. Just a few bucks more for what will be a nice product.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
The reality is that sooooooo many companies mark things "mil-spec" when in reality, they are not.

Will you be fine with an Anderson or PSA? Maybe, probably?? Who knows...

Will you be fine with BCM/Sionics? Yes. Chances of having a dimensionally out of tolerance receiver of slim.

Weaver vs picatinny should not be a question on a true mil-spec receiver. Picatinny is the spec. When you get into cheap receivers, you have to question, are you actually getting 7075-T6? Are the feed ramps properly milled (some cannot even get that right), will you even get t-markings?, will the interior be dry filmed coated per spec? Will the take down/pivot pin holes be properly milled? Will the gas tube pass through be properly centered? Is it really properly anodized? Etc....

For the most part, those all happen with many manufacturers, most of the time, quality parts ensure that's what you get.

BCM does have a slightly different feature for having an undersized barrel extensions ID socket. It's done like that to allow a very tight fit and reduce the chances of a barrel installing with play in the receiver. Do you "need" it? No? It can actually make getting a barrel in and out a little difficult, but once installed, it's a very solid assembly.

In regards to Aero, their receivers seem ok. Their assembly practices blow dogs for quarters, but my personal experience with just the receivers has been positive In regards to parts fitment with their receivers. I personally have an M5 rifle and a few AR 15 uppers/lowers.

Point is, you will most likely be fine with the Sionics or BCM blem....they are typically just cosmetic issues. Just a few bucks more for what will be a nice product.

Great info. Thanks!
I know now that I DO NOT want the BCM upper, just in case I ever do spend the extra $200 on the DOLOS system.

The first upper I bought was a Texas Black Rifle Co. and the barrel I put in it was a VERY tight fit. Had to get the rubber mallet heavily involved on that one.

What I meant about the Picatinny rails wasn't that they're sometimes Weaver - it's that some uppers I've seen start the Pic rail slots CLOSER to the muzzle end of the upper, which means the measurement is entirely different than other brands.
Frankly, I don't understand why they've got that large flat area at the forward end with no slots in it. I've wanted to move optics further forward and can't because the lack of slots is a problem - plus, the T-markings don't matter at all to me since the ones on the upper NEVER line up with the ones on the handguard. VERY annoying. So it's never possible to have an optic that bridges the gap.
Besides all of this, I only have ONE QD scope setup and I just made a pencil mark on the upper where it goes, but since it's all the way forward anyway (Primary Arms FFP ACSS-HUD-DMR 4-14x44 on my LR-308), again T-marks are useless. Speaking of my .308, that's one where the Pic-rail slots go all the way to the front, luckily.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code

Well, It's been a month and the Scionics barrels are STILL 4-6 weeks out of stock. I'm actually considering a Faxon, but that gas port on the 11.5" is HUGE (.110)!

I did a search on Reduced Gas Port barrels and found 2 things: Scionics (what a surprise) and Black River Tactical.
Apparently BRT makes a plug you can screw into a gas block to reduce the port size - as far down as .055 - or you can buy gas blocks with the plug already installed.

Seems like a way to get the same result a bit faster - maybe a way to re-gas the barrels on my other rifles that eject the brass forward!

Anyone got any experience with this?

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Well, It's been a month and the Scionics barrels are STILL 4-6 weeks out of stock. I'm actually considering a Faxon, but that gas port on the 11.5" is HUGE (.110)!

I did a search on Reduced Gas Port barrels and found 2 things: Scionics (what a surprise) and Black River Tactical.
Apparently BRT makes a plug you can screw into a gas block to reduce the port size - as far down as .055 - or you can buy gas blocks with the plug already installed.

Seems like a way to get the same result a bit faster - maybe a way to re-gas the barrels on my other rifles that eject the brass forward!

Anyone got any experience with this?
The guys here recommended that exact thing to me a year or more ago actually. The link is here http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/

I have heard good things but decided to wait around for the Sionics barrel as to have complete and 100% non proprietary in any way AR. I wanna say it did take me something like 2 months to get it but it was worth it.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
The guys here recommended that exact thing to me a year or more ago actually. The link is here http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/

I have heard good things but decided to wait around for the Sionics barrel as to have complete and 100% non proprietary in any way AR. I wanna say it did take me something like 2 months to get it but it was worth it.

So, then your barrel is, in a way, proprietary...since you can ONLY get it from them.

I've got a few ARs that have larger gas ports, so then maybe THIS is the way to fix that issue - rather than replacing the barrels, since that would cost a TON and they're nowhere near their end of service life. Also, I can find exactly the barrel I want in other respects, and not be limited to just what Scionics sells - when they are available.

Suddenly all of that gas port research I've done on a bunch of companies doesn't matter anymore!

Last edited:

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So, then your barrel is, in a way, proprietary...since you can ONLY get it from them.

I've got a few ARs that have larger gas ports, so then maybe THIS is the way to fix that issue - rather than replacing the barrels, since that would cost a TON and they're nowhere near their end of service life. Also, I can find exactly the barrel I want in other respects, and not be limited to just what Scionics sells - when they are available.

Suddenly all of that gas port research I've done on a bunch of companies doesn't matter anymore!
The barrel having a smaller gas port does not make it proprietary. No additional pieces or parts vary from the standard. All AR gas ports are different sizes and there is not one "right" or non proprietary size.

That BRT is a great option too apparently, and yes you could use whatever barrel you like. I see nothing wrong with that route.