Next Can...

American Revival Apparel Company

1jcwallace

Hunter
Jul 4, 2015
Sparrow.... what causes the First Round Crack? It damn sure gets quieter every squeeze after that but that first round is too "loud". What other 22 can has the quality of the Sparrow but not the first round crack? Obviously I am already looking at 22 can number 2. Thanks!

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Sparrow.... what causes the First Round Crack? It damn sure gets quieter every squeeze after that but that first round is too "loud". What other 22 can has the quality of the Sparrow but not the first round crack? Obviously I am already looking at 22 can number 2. Thanks!

I've read different opinions, I'm not sure it's any one thing- the truth is probably somewhere in between. Some say the first round burns some of the oxygen in the can, so there's less to burn and contribute to the pop on second and later shots... gunpowder has oxygen in the compound, so it doesn't need atmospheric oxygen to ignite. Not totally sure how valid the oxygen thing is, but it's a popular explanation.

I think it has a lot to do with air temperature. Hot air is much more easily compressed than colder air. So hot air makes a better (softer) "spring" to absorb some of the shock wave off the blast. Of course, this means that a hot can might be quieter than a cold one. That would take some metering to prove/disprove I guess.

1jcwallace

Hunter
Jul 4, 2015
Something interesting... I was shooting it on my P22 last night and it was very much louder than it has been, the first round through the 5th round. Any clue as to why it might be getting louder? I have only had it 2 weeks now and it does not even have 100rds through it yet.

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Something interesting... I was shooting it on my P22 last night and it was very much louder than it has been, the first round through the 5th round. Any clue as to why it might be getting louder? I have only had it 2 weeks now and it does not even have 100rds through it yet.
Some need a little lube just to start, I have had several loads in a box be hotter than the others from time to time

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Hopefully mine will be in next month. I don`t know how to check on it. first time testing the waters.

1jcwallace

Hunter
Jul 4, 2015
I am guessing thats what it was. Even running CCI Standard Velocity through it, the first round has always been a little louder but has gotten progressively quieter throughout each shot. Last night, all 10-15 rounds sounded like the first round pop or almost a "slap" sound. I am hoping its just the inconsistency in the rounds.

1jcwallace

Hunter
Jul 4, 2015
Hopefully mine will be in next month. I don`t know how to check on it. first time testing the waters.
When did you purchase the can? Mine ran exactly 5 months. You can always call the ATF and give them the Can Serial #. They usually aren't the most joyful people to talk to but if you can have just a little patience, they should be able to give you a status update on it.

Reactions: erkinator 2

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Back early April or May, I have to get my paperwork and look for sure. Lose track of time. All I remember is the 4 month mark was August

Reactions: Mac11FA

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Back early April or May, I have to get my paperwork and look for sure. Lose track of time. All I remember is the 4 month mark was August
The wait is always the hardest part. I was testing the waters too, when I made my 1st purchase. Ended up ordering more stuff while still waiting for my first items to be approved!