Faktory 47

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'm wanting to get a can for my AR15. I'm at the crossroads right now on which to buy. Serviceable or nonserviceable and direct thread or quick disconnect. My main concern is keeping the weight down on the end of the barrel and minimal shift in the point of impact. Is there a serviceable can that's not that heavy on the end. Should I even worry about that since I'm not shooting 22lr through this can. This can will be used on 1 gun so do I need a quick disconnect. Help me out here guys what do you think....

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
in for similar answers. been on the lookout for a good 30 cal can recently

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
A couple of things:

1) It's not your fault; it's an industry standard thing...but the term "quick detach" bugs the crap out of me. "Quick attach?" Fine. But once that thing heats up, there's nothing quick about detaching it.

2) If you're talking about a dedicated 5.56/.223 can, there's no need for it to be user serviceable. Many rifle caliber cans aren't....having said that, though, I prefer to be able to a can apart.

3) I prefer direct thread vs. Anything else for many reasons, chief of which is the ease of using them in a rail recessed setup.

D) Liberty Constitution is what I would recommend.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I agree with Romi. Rifle cand do not need to be user servicable. Also, direct thread ensures minimal if any POI shift or baffle strike.

That being said, the only other problem is dedicated vs non-dedicated. I think a dedicated can is the way to go as all you are really going for is best hearing safe suppression. The internals for an AR15 are probably designed to get the best performance from the 5.56/.223 round.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I shot the Constitution yesterday thanks to Mike it is a little bit heavier than I want.
I'm leaning to IA Grunt and Sig SRD 556 both are direct thread non service but the SRD556 is lighter

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I shot the Constitution yesterday thanks to Mike it is a little bit heavier than I want.
I'm leaning to IA Grunt and Sig SRD 556 both are direct thread non service but the SRD556 is lighter
With everything going on, I am sure it was tough. You are more than welcome to try my Grunt-m out!

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
With everything going on, I am sure it was tough. You are more than welcome to try my Grunt-m out!
Thanks @Mac11FA thats awesome. We can hangout and shoot soon maybe the drums will be in and you can shoot the Super Mac

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am surprised @DoglegArms is not in here with a sales pitch and some lube. Jk

Some things I learned yesterday with my first time with cans. These are just my opinions by the way so take them as they are.

I don't care what type of mount you go with but once that thing heats up you will not be able to get it off immediately.

I was pleased with my direct thread. The way I see it it is one less thing to deal with.

As far as cleaning it just leave it in jail for a little bit and the dealer will clean it for you, or at least I hope. But I do see the possible benefit of having a serviceable can. But maybe it is not necessary.

But I do have full intention to be adding more cans to the fleet sometime next year. So I will continue observing the post with actual helpful info.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
That's right they heat up fast and cool down slow !! There's nothing wrong with that. You can glove them back on tight if they are direct thread. I like the direct thread fine that's all I've used. I've seen the QD operate on display and that's cool if have multiple ARs that you use the can with.

How many rounds of 556 shot really before you have to clean it if that's all you use the can for ??

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
Um .... want to take a can off immediately? Use an Ov Glove, use a mirage cover. There are PLENTY of ways to be able to remove the can immediately.

Now if you are the type that just does mag dump after mag dump with their can on then I wouldn't suggest a mirage cover.

But to say that they aren't quick detach after you use them? Spin a 30 cal can on a precision rig, take a shot, promise you that you can spin it back off just as easily.

Now as far as POI shift, most cans will have some, some cans will be worse than others. The thing to look for with POI shift is the repeatability of that shift. Does shift differ between mount types, yes of course it does but as long as it's repeatable what difference does it make?

I think that the user serviceable cans was one of the worst things the industry could have done. Now everyone thinks it's a must have on any can. Is it a nice thing to have on a rimfire ... sure, but it's not the end all be all if it's not

Reactions: Cudruln

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Who has the best prices on suppressor parts? Need a 1/2X28 fixed mount & 9mm end cap for my octane. I'm close to QRF, just go to them?