GA Firing Line

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I am looking to snag a 30 cal can finally. I have a Tirant 9 and a Spectre II now and love them both, but dont have anything to suppress rifles. My main objective is to have a multi rifle can. Something that will work with 556/300blkout/308 semi and bolt actions. So something that can withstand semi auto high pressure abuse. I have heard good things about the Sandman-S and the Omega 3 (links below).

Anyone have any input on either of these?

https://www.quietriotfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DA762S

https://www.quietriotfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SicoOmega

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
What are your priorities?

Length?

Weight?

Qd or thread on?

The sandman is rated to 300 Rum and beyond, full stellite internals, and it's short and light. Has a pretty great qd system as well. Being that it is shorter, it will probably sound like every other can on a full length barrel, but you may notice some of the extra noise in a shorter platform. The sandman does a a great baffle design that works great with 556 and 30 cal rounds. The sandman L is larger, but may provide extra suppression of your worried about it on a short barre rifle. I find that i can't really tell the difference between midsized cans like the sandman and full size cans.

The omega is light, but IIRC longer than the sandman S. I'm not as big of a fan of its QD system, it doesn't allow for easy rail recess like the sandman does. Suppression is on par with other 30 cal cans, but you have to live your life with the knowledge that your can has a part named by the creator as the "anchor" brake.

I prefer the sandman S of your choices. It has a better mounting system IMO. You can literally take it to the factory here in GA if there is ever an issue. Lastly, having owned a large 30 cal can and shot some of the smaller cans, i just don't think the extra size and weight is worth the extra suppression that I can't even perceive.

Reactions: Leshaire and Laufen

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Shorter and lighter is obviously more convenient, but im not looking at those as deal breakers. I prefer a quieter can really.

I didnt know Dead Air was in GA, which is rather convenient. Any other similar cans to these that anyone prefers?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Shorter and lighter is obviously more convenient, but im not looking at those as deal breakers. I prefer a quieter can really.

I didnt know Dead Air was in GA, which is rather convenient. Any other similar cans to these that anyone prefers?
If sound is the main concern then I would say specwar or Liberty Freedom mag, but I warn you, you will go to a shoot one day and realize the few db's you got won't even sound different unless your shootin magnum rounds like 300wm or greater

Olchevy

Woodsman
Aug 11, 2015
Spalding, GA
Zip code
By "stand up to semi-auto pressures", are you planning on doing high rate of fire?

If so your looking in the right area, however if not....

For me personally I'm not planning on doing a high rate of fire in my .30 cal rifles. So I just bought the Silencerco Harvestor the other day, so she will be in jail till probably mid January. Man would I be excited if it made it back first of January so I could use it the last few days of deer season! But I'm not keeping my hopes up for that.

My thought is this I wanted a can that could be used on 5.56 and 300 blackout all the way up to 300 win mag (my next rifle build) but I wanted it light and direct thread for simplicity. The Harvestor allows all of that, it's only 11 ounces so it's half the weight of most .30 cal cans, so it shouldn't mess with harmonics on my thinner profile barreled hunting rifles, but I can also run it on my AR. It's not rated for high volume of fire, 10 rounds a minute, but when shooting long range or while hunting how often do you shoot faster than every 10 seconds? I sure don't, I'm trying to see where my rounds went and if I need to make corrections, and when hunting I have never shot more than once initially. Plus you can do full mag dumps out of the can they just say to let it cool back down in between, but also since the can is lighter and not a heavy chunk of steel from everything I have read and watched it cools down fast, like really fast compared to normal suppressors.

Later I plan on picking up a dedicated full-Auto rated 5.56 can. But for now this will cover all uses I need and excell at the being light part, plus the 30-40% recoil reduction isn't bad either when shooting the more powerful cartridges, especially when my fiancée goes hunting with me she hopefully won't be scared t shoot the .30-06.

To be fair all I have said is from research and others experience, like I said I don't have the can in my hands yet so I might feel different once I get it.

Reactions: PewPewPewCo

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
I have the 762 SDN6 use it on 300 blackout, 308 scar and put it on the 556 and was surprised. The SDN6 on the 556 was quieter than the 556 can.