Interesting scenario today..

Faktory 47

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
I never give money away. I just say, "no", and get ready to draw. If I'm pumping gas and get braced, I've already drawn.

I

iacountryboy

Here in Burlington you have to buy a license to panhandle,,,,, :D

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I'm at the lake watching it rain.
It's raining cats and dogs. I think I just stepped in a puddle. LOL

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

M

mukwah

You guys can thank good ole Isaac for all that rain!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

D

Denny4kids

Not that I know anything, or are better than you or anybody here, I would like to armchair quarterback this one and share some thoughts.
You saw a kid scanning the area and when he saw you he started walking directly towards you. The fact that you didn't drive off or start your engine means you were willing to deal with whatever this guy had in mind. Also no mention was made of what was behind you. This guy could have had friends sneaking up from behind. I don't remember if you said your window was open all the way. If it was then it would be easy for the guy to grab your wallet. Then what would you do, shoot him? That would be hard to explain.

I'm glad this turned out good in the end and we all can learn something from these few minutes in your life but I'm sorry we can't let you pass go and collect $200 Denny

R

rayzer007

Denny4kids said:
You saw a kid scanning the area and when he saw you he started walking directly towards you. The fact that you didn't drive off or start your engine means you were willing to deal with whatever this guy had in mind.

I have to agree with you Denny. I think the best policy is: "When in doubt, get out - fast." Thanks for bringing it up Craig; even when knowing you might get judged negatively.

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Having situational awareness of everything around you and making the most appropriate decisions quickly is far superior to using lethal force. We should all be constantly teaching ourselves to analyze what's going on around us and thinking of the best ways to deal with the situations should they change.

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
Having situational awareness of everything around you and making the most appropriate decisions quickly is far superior to using lethal force. We should all be constantly teaching ourselves to analyze what's going on around us and thinking of the best ways to deal with the situations should they change.

Extremely +1

Ray

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Denny...agree 209%. Precisely why i posted this story. Only reason for me to relate what occured as an example of how Not to handle a situation like this. Like i said earlier...i know better...and yet i still let it go down like it did.

R

rayzer007

framedcraig1 said:
i still let it go down like it did.

I think that is a key point Craig; you allowed something to unfold that maybe you should have controlled. Old football saying - the best defense is a good offense! Probably best to take control ASAP before someone else has the opportunity to call the shots (pun intended!). It's big of you to admit a faultiness in your actions. This was a good situation for all of us to critique and learn from!
I think starting the engine, like Denny said, would have been the initially correct response to start with.
Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
rayzer007 said:
I think starting the engine, like Denny said, would have been the initially correct response to start with.
Closing the windows and locking the doors - before the suspicious fellow got near - would go along with starting the engine in my opinion.

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
rayzer007 said:
Closing the windows and locking the doors - before the suspicious fellow got near - would go along with starting the engine in my opinion.

Two more good points Skip. What a great, beneficial thread!

Ray

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I too..think that this has been a positive learning point for all of us. You don't want to be cold and indifferent to folks, as this is a big part of whats wrong with our society today. I was ready for whatever he was going to "bring "me, and yes..I was checking for anyone else anywhere near the car. As I have stated before.... the single, obvious solution to this whole encounter would be...start the car and leave the area. I appreciate all of your thoughts, and kind reactions. I will say that I am glad that I have the opportunity to learn from this, and that this kid has the chance to go on with his life...regardless of his intentions. Any more thoughts are still welcome. To me..this is the whole reason for this community of friends and folks with similar backgrounds.and lifestyles to exist. We carry with us a tremendously powerful means to deter, and to prevent harm to us ...and to others...but along with that is the inherent reponsibilty of our decisions are always with us also. ...