Interesting scenario today..

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Okay..so I took a lettuce wrap and some jicama for lunch. Washed it down with a v8 spicy hot. I'm parked in my car with the windows down in the 94 degree heat, just taking off about 30 minutes away from the office.(by the way..if you have never tried jicama..try it! Fills you up and doesn't weigh you down.) As I'm finishing up my lunch i see a kid about 19-20 years old come out of the Kmart, and walk sorta in my direction. He's about 250 ' away and heading north. As he gets directly east of me, and still about 100' away, I can see that he's scanning around...sees me in my car ...and starts to come directly for me. He has on a white T-shirt, camo pants (not reg military), and brown boots. I don't look directly at him..but know exactly where he is , and that he's coming on in. I pull out my LCP from from right front pocket, and put it in the cup holder between the seats. Its deep enough I know that he can't see it. He has his right hand in his pants pocket the last 25 '. Crap! I'm not all that concerned...but I AM very alert..without showing it. When he got to twenty feet. I snapped my head right towards him..he stopped immediatley. I have on polarized sunwear..RX..so he can't see my eyes. i said.."can I help you?" He still has his hand in his pocket, and I say" Could you take your hand out of your pocket"? he did...and looked very sheepish. My hand is on the grip of the LCP. Then he goes. "I need five bucks for some tent pegs,and I just don't have any money" I stare at him for about 10 seconds, and pulled out a fiver from my wallet while watching to make sure that his hands were in plain sight. I said. " okay...this is yours". he said "thank you sir...Sorry if I startled you". I don't think he had a clue that i was watching him all the way in. That hand in the pocket thing was...very diconcerting...to say the least. Tent pegs...are you kidding??!! If any of you needed tent pegs, and had no $...you would MAKE some tent pegs out of branch on the closest tree...Right. This one is really bugging me. i have no idea what coulda gone down here.. Your thoughts?... :-\

bluewater1

Hunter
Jun 7, 2012
Alachua, Florida
The first part of your account indicated that he was going to scout out a car to pilfer. His consequent actions are a bit confusing, as if he decided to try panhandling instead. I agree that it was definitely a situation warranting due care.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
My car was parked so that he could clearly see me as My side was towards him. I think panhandling all the way, and I hope that was all. felt very strange.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Could you have driven off? Got out and put your car between you and him? I'm assuming he got closer if you gave him money? And that is not a good idea. I give zero to beggars and don't give a flip about their story. I tell them I can't help and they need to move on.

If you are familiar with the Tueller Drill, why would you let him get closer? I think you did good with situational awareness, but ultimately let him get to close at your own doing.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Yeah Doug...I think that would have been better. I gave him the five with my left hand, and had the .380 in my right. I don't think that I handled it in the best way. I HATE the way this world is getting.

M

mukwah

Luckily this didn't go down in a bad way and you have the opportunity to reflect on this and use it as a learning experience. Probably be a good idea for all of us to play this scenario out in our heads and think about what we might do.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I felt very nervous the whole time. I keep thinking about his hand in his pocket..I think that Doug had the right idea. Drive away.... :(

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Doug...you'll love this. Sgt. Tueller is my second cousin! My Dads mom was a Tueller!. The family is from Bear lake on the Utah-Idaho border (Orginally fro Bern, Switzerland) He'll prolly disown me if he sees this..

WAcarry

Hunter
Jun 22, 2012
WA State
I appreciate you telling us about this. It's not always easy to put yourself out there for everyone to armchair quarterback. That being said, when you mentioned handing him the fiver, I was saying noooooo! Don't do it. I have a friend that had a guy ask him for a dollar for the bus and when he opened his wallet, the guy punched him in the face and ran off with his wallet. I'm glad you had your other hand on Elsie. Great situational awareness by the way. I probably would have fallen asleep. Also, I love jicama.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I felt in control at all times...but!. He did stop 20 feet away from the car. He pulled his hand out that dang pocket...and stayed put while i got the five out with my left hand. I think he may have known that I had a gun the way he reacted. I still think I was dumb to not just drive away. That would have been BY FAR the best way to handle the whole deal. I don't begrudge the five...but i do feel like I put myself in a stupid situation. I know better.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
There are lots of panhandlers out there in todays world....

Here in Athens the gas stations are loaded with them......

Pumping gas is a pain with all the beggers wanting a handout....

When ya tellem know they just run to the next person pumping gas...

The gas stations dont seem to care and dont do anything about it..... :(

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Trigger_1 said:
The gas stations dont seem to care and dont do anything about it..... :(

That's because the money likely gets spent there on wine and beer. Why run off a percentage of your business?

A

AquaHull

I would have saved the $5 and drove off, left hand on the wheel,right hand on me gun. Whatever was in my hands before would have been set down quick.

I grew up in The Motor City, I don't give varmints the time of day nor the time to do anything. The best Defense is a great Offense, and in Football a good running game is essential to that Offense.

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
Might have been harmless panhandling. Might not. You did the right thing by telling him to stop and remove his hand from his pocket.

At that point I would have said something like, "I don't have anything for you. Move on." If he didn't and have given me backtalk, I'd be on the cell calling the law. I wouldn't let the guy run me off. Maybe the cops should know there is a panhandler cruising the lot looking in cars.

Mayo.
iPhone & Tapatalk