Interesting scenario today..

American Revival Apparel Company
R

rayzer007

framedcraig1 said:
Any more thoughts are still welcome. To me..this is the whole reason for this community of friends and folks with similar backgrounds.and lifestyles to exist.

This is a very special forum, with very special people; that's why I am not discouraged by our numbers. Sometimes high quality doesn't have high numbers. We're back to the old ElsiePeaForum uniqueness on the internet; no other place like it! ;)

Ray

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
framedcraig1 said:
I too..think that this has been a positive learning point for all of us. You don't want to be cold and indifferent to folks, as this is a big part of whats wrong with our society today.

. To me..this is the whole reason for this community of friends and folks with similar backgrounds.and lifestyles to exist. We carry with us a tremendously powerful means to deter, and to prevent harm to us ...and to others...but along with that is the inherent reponsibilty of our decisions are always with us also. ...
Indifference and refusal to get involved where involvement is the right thing do do has made our society more callous and alienating. My opinion is that once you got involved, given that this kid might have been looking for someone else to rob or assault, just leaving would not have been the right thing. Perhaps driving to another spot and calling the police would have been good. You could have still kept an eye on him an have been available to talk with the police when they arrived. A hassle, and time out of your day, but maybe preventing something bad from happening to someone else.

Yes, this is a unique forum where issues like this can be discussed like adults. I'm glad it is here.

Mayo.
iPhone & Tapatalk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mayonardo said:
Perhaps driving to another spot and calling the police would have been good. You could have still kept an eye on him an have been available to talk with the police when they arrived. A hassle, and time out of your day, but maybe preventing something bad from happening to someone else.
I like that, Mayo. This thread simply gets better as we progress.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
+another on using the mobility of a car. Although the mind doesn't always click into defennsive mode on little provocation, moving the car 30 or so parking spaces changes everything into a game of chess. If the kid had any expectation of scoring anything... an obvious move would have put him in another frame of mind.

D

Denny4kids

I find it hard to always think "this could be a bad guy" It seems like I always pre-judge people. This could get me killed some day. From now on I'm going to keep my guard up and think before I act when something like this comes up.

I wonder what the kid would think if you rolled up the 5'er and handed it to him from the barrel of elsie? :eek: Den

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
This area... and it's slightly different from city to city, has just enough uncertainty about to... not be paranoid, but to definitely pay attention to your surroundings.

OK, I haven't talked to anyone with a police scanner in quite a while. :-\

R

rayzer007

Denny4kids said:
I find it hard to always think "this could be a bad guy"

That is something I have never had a problem doing. I have always felt anyone approaching me in that manner is running some kind of scam, .............. or much worse!

Ray

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Don't feel alone, Craig - It is hard to stay focused on situational awareness sometimes. I too have let people get too close before realizing it. Once you are reacting, rather than acting, the situation may already be out of hand.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I was pretty hesitant to post this at first.. Kinda glad I did. This is exactly the type of "out of the blue" that we need to be on alert for. Not paranoid..not mean or fearful..just aware, and keep thinking ahead. Have any of you ever read "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling? Pretty good read..and very much in line with the thought process, and mental awareness I should have used here. Enjoying the feedback guys.

number2son

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
California
Have to hand it to you Craig. You're a stand-up guy for posting your experience and being open with the comments. You also have guts for posting that picture of you hair style! :D