Interesting point on birdshot for HD

GA Firing Line

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
i read an article that asked various SOF guys their tips for home defense.

One of the people in the article said he preferred a semi auto shotgun. He said his first shell was birdshot so if he made a mistake on identifying the target it was less likely to be fatal with the following shots being buckshot and slugs.

Now we all know birdshot is a terrible choice for HD use, but I thought it was interesting. I still wouldn't do it, but interesting none the less.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
i read an article that asked various SOF guys their tips for home defense.

One of the people in the article said he preferred a semi auto shotgun. He said his first shell was birdshot so if he made a mistake on identifying the target it was less likely to be fatal with the following shots being buckshot and slugs.

Now we all know birdshot is a terrible choice for HD use, but I thought it was interesting. I still wouldn't do it, but interesting none the less.

So he's purposefully loading up birdshot anticipating not properly identifying his target? uh..ok. Also, at "in the house" range, birdshot is absolutely devastating. Ever shot a pumpkin at 15 feet with a 3" load of #6's?

Or here's an idea...how about putting a light on your firearm so you can see what you're shooting at?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So he's purposefully loading up birdshot anticipating not properly identifying his target? uh..ok. Also, at "in the house" range, birdshot is absolutely devastating. Ever shot a pumpkin at 15 feet with a 3" load of #6's?

Or here's an idea...how about putting a light on your firearm so you can see what you're shooting at?
Yea, Ive cut a tree down with birdshot. At close range it is devastating.

He said it was so if he makes a mistake because he wasn't fully awake he had a chance of not killing. I think it's dumb but I thought it was an interesting point of view.

Bird shot can do some damage but I have personally seen the results on several different people and none of them were physically incapacitated. Not saying it isn't possible to do, but in the 4 people I've seen hit with it I was not impressed. I always try and find out the caliber and bullet style when I go to a shooting so I can see what the different rounds do in the real world.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Got any pics? Theres been some pics floating around facebook of supposed birdshot injuries, but the spread is so big it makes me think that they were shot at a pretty far distance

Reactions: Ak4747

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Got any pics? Theres been some pics floating around facebook of supposed birdshot injuries, but the spread is so big it makes me think that they were shot at a pretty far distance
No pics. That's a huge no-no in my world.

From my limited experience bird shot does not have the mass to travel through much more than a t-shirt and keep enough velocity to cause too much damage.

I did see someone shot with RIP ammo. It passed right through like a FMJ and was found looking almost like an unfired bullet.

cbh13

Millennial Supreme
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Auburn
Zip code
i know its not supposed to be the best but I would bet a 12 gauge birdshot in the close ranges seen in a HD situation would still drop anyone about instantly

Reactions: Ak4747

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

From my limited experience bird shot does not have the mass to travel through much more than a t-shirt and keep enough velocity to cause too much damage.

I did see someone shot with RIP ammo. It passed right through like a FMJ and was found looking almost like an unfired bullet.
At hallway distances you'll blast a fist sized hole clean to the vitals.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
He said it was so if he makes a mistake because he wasn't fully awake he had a chance of not killing. I think it's dumb but I thought it was an interesting point of view.

Bird shot can do some damage but I have personally seen the results on several different people and none of them were physically incapacitated. Not saying it isn't possible to do, but in the 4 people I've seen hit with it I was not impressed. I always try and find out the caliber and bullet style when I go to a shooting so I can see what the different rounds do in the real world.
I'm guessing those folks were all quite a ways away. In the house, birdshot will fuck you up right now.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code

I figured, but Ive met a few people with a handful of photos of cases they have worked as police, detectives, emt, etc.

Thats a bit surprising about the rip ammo. Ive never cared for it, but I didnt think it would pass through like that.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'm guessing those folks were all quite a ways away. In the house, birdshot will fuck you up right now.

At close enough it can cause some damage. But damaged and incapacitated are different. This is based on my experience and I'm sure there are plenty of cases of people being killed by birdshot, but I'd be curious to see how many are physically unable to keep fighting. Not including the ones who stop fighting because of pain or fear, ones who can't fight anymore due to blood lose, respiratory failure, or broken bones.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I figured, but Ive met a few people with a handful of photos of cases they have worked as police, detectives, emt, etc.

Thats a bit surprising about the rip ammo. Ive never cared for it, but I didnt think it would pass through like that.

Law enforcement can get away with it more than we can. Company policy aside we also have to deal with HIPPA laws on privacy. I have a couple cool ones but I won't post them here. They were taken after the fact by others for educational purposes. But I don't want to even set myself up to be asked since I have coworkers who are members here. If you remind me when I see you next I'll show you.

Yeah all the cops were surprised at how poorly it performed. The guy was shot through the leg and he was a big boy so there was plenty of soft tissue to expand in.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Law enforcement can get away with it more than we can. Company policy aside we also have to deal with HIPPA laws on privacy. I have a couple cool ones but I won't post them here. They were taken after the fact by others for educational purposes. The guy was shot through the leg and he was a big boy so there was plenty of soft tissue to expand in.
It was specifically designed to decimate elbows.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
For quite a while I kept 3" lead #2's in my hd shotgun, and not because I thought it was a less lethal option.