Have you thought about a katana as part of your SHTF gear?

GA Firing Line

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I bought my dad a woodsman's pal several years ago and he loves it! It is a great tool for many tasks. You can cut down small trees if you need to.

8UMT8_AS03.jpg

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I think machetes would be ideal.

Cheap(compared to a real sword), useful for much more than killing people, easier to maintain. Plus they are handy to have around before SHTF. If you get a sword it's just going to sit in a closet or in your safe until something happens, and then not until you are out of ammo/arrows etc.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I'll just leave this little gem right here...

ImADad

Hunter
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Thats the reason I try to stock a stupid amount of .22lr.
if the world did get cataclysmic, mad max, total SHTF, black swan,

I bet after most of the bullets ran out that a .22lr pistol and rifle would be about the best things you could have. Just a brick of 500rds would be a goldmine.
I have machetes, military shovels, long knives, and the such. no swords. Most of the sword reviews i have seen on youtube are actually pretty eye opening. Most of them are just cheap show pieces and when actually used, they shatter or break, often times cutting the user. Thats what scares me the most about them.

I think if it came to it I would feel better with a high quality knife zip tied/duct taped/lashed to a broom handle. haha

Reactions: JGMILLER

sewerman68

Hunter
Jul 28, 2015
temple
I have a thick hickory walking stick with about 10" of a mosin bayonet sticking out the end of it. Its good for keeping large animals back a bit.

DTW762

Hunter
Jul 28, 2015
Carrollton GA
No katana here, but I do have one thing to say

a35a68a0acc05ac647e4e6c83e7339c8.jpg

I keep a crowbar in every vehicle I own.
SHTF, sharpen the flat point, kickass urban get home multi tool. And I can duct tape a flashlight and scope to keep it operator as shit if need be

Aug 12, 2015
PA
A long blade of some sort is probably worth having in the arsenal. I'd probably go for something more multi-purpose like a machete, but the reasoning is still sound. Another tool in the toolbox. I wouldn't buy one until I had most other bases covered, but it definitely couldn't hurt.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Don't get me wrong, I have several different multi-tasking tools already; A machete (not sure of the brand as I bought it over 20 yrs ago and would have to go look at the stamp), a light weight camping hatchet and a hooked bush knife. Overall, I was just curious if anyone had looked into a quality katana (not the display type, but an actual mid-grade cutting katana) like the Hanwei practicals and such.

Reactions: Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Just curious if anyone has thought about having a good quality katana as part of their SHTF gear.

I know, I know, it's one of those typical zombie apocalypse scenario items, but curious anyway. Personally, I'd opt for a bow after the bullets run out, but if that wasn't an option, I'd suspect the next thing I'd want is a long blade.

I've seen some of the basic Hanwei katanas with high carbon / differentially tempered blades going for $300-$450, anybody else thought of this as an option?

If not, you can point an laugh at me, I'm used to it :)

I don't have one for the scenario mentioned but I have been waiting a long time on my custom katana order and tanto to go with it.

Culturally speaking....I admire and love studying Japanese and Chinese weapons.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I don't have one for the scenario mentioned but I have been waiting a long time on my custom katana order and tanto to go with it.

Culturally speaking....I admire and love studying Japanese and Chinese weapons.
I know nothing more than the few reviews I've read online; but I've always wondered what the "collectors and testers" thought of the different options offered. Personally, I'd buy another bow and some more arrows before I thought about dropping that kind of green for a blade, but I'm really interested to hear what others are doing.

Reactions: Patryn