Have you thought about a katana as part of your SHTF gear?

Faktory 47

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I know nothing more than the few reviews I've read online; but I've always wondered what the "collectors and testers" thought of the different options offered. Personally, I'd buy another bow and some more arrows before I thought about dropping that kind of green for a blade, but I'm really interested to hear what others are doing.

Meh I have one of every type of bow made and once again, training is 100% the deterring factor of most wannabe archers, most never have attempted to hunt or bring down any actual game animal.

Having a good blade on the other hand, serves a multitude of purposes. They have made it through 1000s of years of warfare. I dished out the dough and cannot wait for the day it will breathe life into the world.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Meh I have one of every type of bow made and once again, training is 100% the deterring factor of most wannabe archers, most never have attempted to hunt or bring down any actual game animal.

Having a good blade on the other hand, serves a multitude of purposes. They have made it through 1000s of years of warfare. I dished out the dough and cannot wait for the day it will breathe life into the world.
I haven't shot a bow since I was a teenager, but back then I was in the back yard hitting bales or at the archery range every few days (this was with a recurve and a plain-Jane compound, no balancer or sights). I should probably get back into bows again, who knows, I might still be good at it ;)

Reactions: Patryn

blueknight8

the.... IN...master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
stockbridge ga
I haven't shot a bow since I was a teenager, but back then I was in the back yard hitting bales or at the archery range every few days (this was with a recurve and a plain-Jane compound, no balancer or sights). I should probably get back into bows again, who knows, I might still be good at it ;)
lets see you hit a coke can at 50yds !!!! i won $100 on that shot 6mo ago

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
i shoot all the time ... there are 3 of us in the house that shoot archery. my wife ,8yd son and myself
Then I think I'll pass on the 50yd challenge until I get up to speed again, I suspect I'm not quite as good as 20+ yrs ago :thumbsup:

blueknight8

the.... IN...master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
stockbridge ga
DuQ-pnMF7_RVVJGe3xScOzgMf13dIxfm2KlxHHMEyH4=s197-p-no

20141225_172141.jpg

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
its not as easy as it sounds ..lol
Yeah, I remember going into the range with my recurve and having to aim several feet higher than the target at 50yds just to get it on paper. You learn a lot from "lobbing" & trajectory when you start off low ;)

Sheps

Woodsman
Jun 24, 2015
www.youtube.com
Zip code
en5 1ae
A long blade of some sort is probably worth having in the arsenal. I'd probably go for something more multi-purpose like a machete, but the reasoning is still sound. Another tool in the toolbox. I wouldn't buy one until I had most other bases covered, but it definitely couldn't hurt.
Machetes are pretty single purpose. They're good at hacking vines, leaves and so on. They suck at everything else you'd want a big blade for.

DaBlock

Woodsman
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Zip code
In all seriousness, don't count on a katana. They are fabulous swords designed to be used people who's whole life was about fighting with that sword. Peasants were not given katanas for a variety of reasons, one of which was lack of training. A machete and adze, hell a gladius are easier people pokers. A katana is a trip to the ER for you and your friends.

Reactions: Guardian Defense
Aug 12, 2015
PA
Machetes are pretty single purpose. They're good at hacking vines, leaves and so on. They suck at everything else you'd want a big blade for.
I think they'd work just fine for an in close type weapon (not a great choice, but adequate) and much more multi-purpose than a katana or long blade.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Gotta be honest I never understood why people thought katanas were something special. They're not. They're just swords.

Well obviously if you don't understand culture you wouldn't but swords aren't just swords. There was something unique and designed for a reason is every culture. They are beautiful pieces of living culture, one such that they have remained in high demand over centuries. I don't remember anyone getting worked up over a machete.

Anyway....I am not saying you need a katana or should have one. If you haven't read the Art of Japanse Sword making or seen one being made in person, then I couldn't expect anyone to appreciate them.

I am honored to be the keeper of mine while I am alive, until it is passed to the next.