Have you thought about a katana as part of your SHTF gear?

GA Firing Line

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Just curious if anyone has thought about having a good quality katana as part of their SHTF gear.

I know, I know, it's one of those typical zombie apocalypse scenario items, but curious anyway. Personally, I'd opt for a bow after the bullets run out, but if that wasn't an option, I'd suspect the next thing I'd want is a long blade.

I've seen some of the basic Hanwei katanas with high carbon / differentially tempered blades going for $300-$450, anybody else thought of this as an option?

If not, you can point an laugh at me, I'm used to it :)

Reactions: Patryn
Jul 2, 2015
^^^^^^ This is some mall ninja shit right here! If you want to be a badass get yourself a bushax!
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDAtMjAxMTAyMjgtMTU1My5qcGc.jpg

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
^^^^^^ This is some mall ninja shit right here! If you want to be a badass get yourself a bushax!

lol, I don't care what I am called when the SHTF as long as it is "alive"

I've thought about spears and axes like that, but weight/portability comes to mind

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I have to admit that I've had exactly the same thought. If you can't handle a threat at 30 feet (i.e. range of a pistol), 5 feet beats the hell out of a 5" blade.

Oh- and @hikingthehills I've always called those things bush hooks- and they are outstanding tools for clearing a path. I worked for a land surveyor back during my teenage years and had more than a little experience with one of those.

Jul 2, 2015
I have to admit that I've had exactly the same thought. If you can't handle a threat at 30 feet (i.e. range of a pistol), 5 feet beats the hell out of a 5" blade.

Oh- and @hikingthehills I've always called those things bush hooks- and they are outstanding tools for clearing a path. I worked for a land surveyor back during my teenage years and had more than a little experience with one of those.
I keep one in my truck, I have used them for many years. I too got my first taste using them land surveying now I use them setting up shooting lanes to all my deer stands. Those things are beast and can take dang near anything out in its way.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have thought about a katana as I have always had a liking for them. It would have to be a genuine blade though, not one of those cheap BudK deals.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
When I was much younger, me and some buddies found a bush hook that a road crew had left behind. We used it to clear out a good spot for a giant tree house in the woods behind our neighborhood. At some point, we broke the blade off, leaving a long hickory handle with the steel plates on the end. We kept using to knock down briars and such. Long story short, I took an accidental smack to the skull. Probably should have gone to the hospital, but I was too scared of my dad finding out about it. Bled all day and hurt like a mother. Still have a chunk of skull missing from that one.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Or one of these... I realy like it as a all around tool self def. weapon.
2handmachete.jpg

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Somebody threw in a sword to sweeten a trade with me once. I agreed to it because I thought it was funny.

Damn thing scares the shit out of me. It is sharp as fuck, basically it is 4 feet of emergency room just waiting to happen.

blueknight8

the.... IN...master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
stockbridge ga
Somebody threw in a sword to sweeten a trade with me once. I agreed to it because I thought it was funny.

Damn thing scares the shit out of me. It is sharp as fuck, basically it is 4 feet of emergency room just waiting to happen.
is it black and tactical ????