Foreign Weapons and Obscure Builds V3

Faktory 47

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I usually just spray on a coat of sealer. But i haven't bought the sealer yet. Honestly, I've never stained a deck- got any suggestions?
Be sure to test the stain out first, let it dry to see how the color is affected by the wood type. I did my friends fence with a harbor freight sprayer...turned out decent after sorting the spray pattern. Then his wife pointed out it was much darker than they had intended and caught shit from their HOA. His had a sealer in the stain, it's about 6 mis old now and still looks good. Not sure how much of a dif using a separate sealer would make.

3clicks_Off

Practicing Freedom
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 1, 2016
Cartersville
Zip code
Seriously... anybody tell me whether they prefer stain or water sealer? I don't care about the color, so I'm not sure stain is needed.
If sealer only, I have had better and longer lasting results with CWF brand (Clear Wood Finish) vs Thompson water sealer. CWF seems to last longer and definitely resist mold better than Thompson brand in my experience.
I also prefer a brush and medium nap roller vs an airless sprayer. I don't get in a hurry and hate cleaning overspray. But I will grab a sprayer on a big fence.
Don't buy cheap paintbrush or cheap roller naps.

CWF-UV is also available, has Ultra Violet protection if your deck catches a lot of sun.
decks on south side usually get sun all day

CWF is soap and water clean up for tools, brushes and such.
Thompson is paint thinner clean up.

Even with CWF, I still use a brush cleaner or mineral spirits on brushes after the soapy water clean up simply to be sure my $40 paint brush is clean and conditioned then neatly wrap with news paper, not tight but formed to natural brush shape.

I'm no pro and ymmv