Foreign Weapons and Obscure Builds V3

Faktory 47

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
I used to trust them. They did prior 2 AT services with no issues. My mechanic is very good, but he is a one man shop and was backed up. He is 100% honest.

I do all oil changes myself, used to service AT myself. But since everybody moved to sealed AT I am SOL.

Van is 2011 Town and Country. Oil changed every 5K with Group 3 and 4 synthetics, AT serviced every 40K. Replaced thermostat myself 3 years ago. Coolant serviced every 5 years or 50K miles, by me.
Brake fluid was swapped at 90K miles.
Well I personally wouldn‘t trust Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles very long unless it’s a Cummins turbo diesel but regardless, someone there must have screwed up if you serviced it properly with good stuff.
They don’t usually care though. They have shop insurance so they’re covered. Better start a claim

noclevername

Marksman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
usa
Blade Show handle material score.... a nice brown burl, a piece of 5,000 year old bog oak, some carbon fiber... then i already had some black/white micarta and yellow, orange G10.

Now to decide what kind of handle to make for this PKS blank.

View attachment 127217

View attachment 127218
When I made knives I like to use desert ironwood. Was any of that available at the blade show?

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Well I personally wouldn‘t trust Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles very long unless it’s a Cummins turbo diesel but regardless, someone there must have screwed up if you serviced it properly with good stuff.
They don’t usually care though. They have shop insurance so they’re covered. Better start a claim
I called the dealer. They are denying that they did anything wrong. Told me to bring the van in for the same tech to look at. Fat chance of that happenning!!!!
Agree with you on Chrysler products. Unfortunatly, at the time it was all we could afford. Honda minivan AT is trash also, Toyota was out of reach.
Van is paid for, so it is worth to keep for a family of 6, even if I have to rebuild the AT. I will dump it in 5 years, when kids move out.
Now that I have a super hook up at Toyota, that's all I will ever buy. But I need a new truck more than a new van.
So I am tryong to swing a truck while interst rates are low, and before thr ne model year price increases.

Last edited:

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Well. Got a word that dealer killed my transmission.
Had normal AT service done last week on the van. Took on a Memorial trip drive, put 1300 miles on it. Thought I was being careful, so I had it serviced before the trip.
This past Friday, a week after service, it had problems shifting and threw a couple of codes.
Today my mechanic told me it was leaking from the pan seal and was a quart and a half low.
Dealer says there is no way driving for 1300 miles with fluid being that low will cause issues.
Transmission was serviced every 40K miles. Van has 120K miles on it. It was its 3rd service.

What was the make of the van?

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
I called the dealer. They are denying that they did anything wrong. Told me to bring the van in for the same tech to look at. Fat chance of that happenning!!!!
Agree with you on Chrysler products. Unfortunatly, at the time it was all we could afford. Honda minivan AT are trash also, Toyota was out of reach.
Van is paid for, so it is worth to keep for a family of 6, even if I have to rebuild the AT. I will dump it in 5 years, when kids move out.
Now that I have a super hook up at Toyota, that's all I will ever buy. But I need a new truck more than a new van.
So I am tryong to swing a truck while interst rates are low, and before thr ne model year price increases.
Whenever I buy something I think of long term value, reliability, economy, resale value.
Not that you asked but if I needed a van I’d get a Sprinter. Even used with 200k is fine if you get a thorough ppi and everything checks out. Nothing comes close in reliability, fuel economy or resale value. Have a friend that services them and he’s seen quite a few with over 500k miles on them with regular maintenance.
But it’s your money or budget and your choice. You‘re paying for it so you have to like it

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Whenever I buy something I think of long term value, reliability, economy, resale value.
Not that you asked but if I needed a van I’d get a Sprinter. Even used with 200k is fine if you get a thorough ppi and everything checks out. Nothing comes close in reliability, fuel economy or resale value. Have a friend that services them and he’s seen quite a few with over 500k miles on them with regular maintenance.
But it’s your money or budget and your choice. You‘re paying for it so you have to like it
Do not need a van after 5 years. This one has been paid off for 6 years. Will keep this one running for that long and then sell it. Getting a new van payment now does not make sense. $2000 for the tranny rebuild is 4 months of car payments, that's all. By the time I pay Sprinter off, I will want to sell it.
And truck is far more usefull on the farm.

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
Do not need a van after 5 years. Will keep this one running for that long and then sell it. Getting a new van payment now does not make sense. By the time I pay it off, I will want to sell it.
And truck is far more usefull on the farm.
Ok. Well, not sure how you will use the truck.
Some people need a heavy duty truck and get one. Some get a light duty truck and occasionally overwork it and it falls apart.
Again, I look at resale value, economy, reliability and capability.
Not sure what your needs are or budget is but since you mentioned Toyota I assume light duty use.
If you get a Tundra the weaker 4.7 is actually a lot more reliable than the more powerful 5.7 although everything else is still light duty.
Whats your budget?