Fireclean, aka Crisco?

Howard Law

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/13/yes-its-true-fireclean-is-crisco/

Further, FireClean founder Edward Sugg was listed on a patent available to the public listing alternative uses for vegetable oils, such as canola oil, including as firearms lubricants. It was with this that I was all but convinced: FIREClean was canola oil, commonly sold under the brand name “Crisco”. Yesterday the inimitable Andrew Tuohy, a contributor to this blog, posted an article proving to me beyond any doubt that FIREClean is vegetable oil. The results of the infrared spectroscopy he conducted are reproduced below:

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Wow!

Never used it before.

Wonder what frog lube is made of?

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I am almost positive that the m pro 7 cleaner is just rebranded windex.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Wow!

Never used it before.

Wonder what frog lube is made of?
Frog lube is also a vegetable oil base. But whatever it's made from can spoil.

I've long suspected that FC was also a vegetable oil of some sort. There is only one way for these products to be non-toxic and that is for them to be a non-petroleum based oil. That pretty much only leaves vegetable based oils as a source. Fireclean works, so I don't mind this "revelation". Mainly because I'm not entirely surprised. Now, the question is, will straight up canola oil perform the same? Or is there a difference that makes FC suitable for use in firearms?

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
Frog lube is also a vegetable oil base. But whatever it's made from can spoil.

I've long suspected that FC was also a vegetable oil of some sort. There is only one way for these products to be non-toxic and that is for them to be a non-petroleum based oil. That pretty much only leaves vegetable based oils as a source. Fireclean works, so I don't mind this "revelation". Mainly because I'm not entirely surprised. Now, the question is, will straight up canola oil perform the same? Or is there a difference that makes FC suitable for use in firearms?

I've never used fire clean. I was not impressed with frog lube at all.

Blackrifler42

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
I've never used Fireclean but recently picked up a VP9 on a trade and when I got it home and broke it down there was a white grease like substance on the internals of the slide that I thought looked like Crisco.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Are you supposed to use a heat gun with Fireclean like Frog Lube?

Sounds like seasoning your iron fry pan.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've never used Fireclean but recently picked up a VP9 on a trade and when I got it home and broke it down there was a white grease like substance on the internals of the slide that I thought looked like Crisco.
When they said Crisco I immediately thought of the big tub of lard. I was thinking "why in the hell would you even try that?"

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
This doesn't surprise me at all. There's no miracle products out there when it comes to oil. I've got some CLP, some Ballistol and some Rem oil. I don't know how in the hell you could go wrong with proper maintenance using either of those. If an oil can protect your engine for thousands of miles, I don't know why it wouldn't suffice in a firearm either.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I've never used fire clean. I was not impressed with frog lube at all.
Frog lube completely crapped the bed on three different AR's and a couple of pistols of mine. Turned into a sticky, half-glue. And I followed their directions very carefully. Total junk. FC has never gummed up on me.
That's not Fireclean. Sounds more like grease. FC is a clear liquid and does not solidify.
Are you supposed to use a heat gun with Fireclean like Frog Lube?

Sounds like seasoning your iron fry pan.
Don't have to do any of that with FC. But you do apparently have to be missing part of your frontal lobe to pay $15/oz for canola oil. Feeling pretty scammed right now.

After my frog lube experience, I swore off all wonder lubes. Then a buddy sent me half a bottle of FC to try out. It works really well. So I bought two more bottles. I still have that half used bottle, plus the other two. A little goes a long way, even if you're like me and apply liberally.

Reactions: Righter13

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'm thinking either white lithium grease or tw25-b. I really like tw25-b on pistol slide rails.

TW25-B... that is a new one on me. I used to use Hoppe's gun grease on slide rails. But after I pulled out a pistol I hadn't shot in probably 3 years, it had turned into something akin to dried pine sap. I mean good grief it was awful. Almost enough to hold the slide in place against the recoil spring pressure. I haven't touched that grease since. After the solvents evaporate, there's nothing "good" left.