Fireclean-MealSpec-McDonalds-Crisco.jpg
Meal spec just made my day.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
lol, well they've fucked potential vegetable oil competition pretty cleverly. Forget about if it's crisco or not, claim 11 is the most important. It's the one that outlines a method of application of a vegetable oil to a mechanical part for the purpose of preventing corrosion or removing fouling using a product with the same or similar (within patents parameters) of a vegetable based lube.
They've cornered the market on lubing mechanical parts with crisco type lubes. lol

It wouldn't be too tough to design around though, just use a combo of two vegetable oils instead of three or more.
The priority date is 2013, I'll bet there's a bit of prior art out there. Not a very solid patent at all.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Interesting excerpt

it was found that a blend of vegetable oil (soybean and canola) was superior to a single oil. It should be noted that while pure vegetable oils are primarily discussed herein, it is within the scope of the invention that other components may be present (such as synthetic oils or additives) in amounts that do not substantially interfere with the above described properties. Thus, in an aspect of the present invention, the oil composition consists essentially of vegetable oils. In another aspect of the invention, the oil composition consists of vegetable oils.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
meh, the oils have different viscosities at different temps. Nothing new there.

Agreed. I'm not seeing any specificity regarding the actual combination of oils used. They used a vegetable oil with a high smoke point, which we already knew. Well, at least some people knew.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Okay, just for giggles I mixed up 2 parts canola, 1 part vegetable, and half part olive oil in a shot glass. Added 20 drops of 3-in-1 and went to town on a filthy 1911 .22.

Cleaned about like CLP. I also soaked a baffle from my evercores to see how that would clean. It seems to clean better the longer it's on there.

Would work great for shtf situations and we'll see how the baffle cleaning goes.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I don't get the butt hurt. I could care less.l if FireClean is Crisco. If it works it works. If they said putting ice cream on my gun would make it work better, I'd buy a pint of Graeters ice cream to eat and a half gallon of Bryers to coat my gun with.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I don't get the butt hurt. I could care less.l if FireClean is Crisco. If it works it works. If they said putting ice cream on my gun would make it work better, I'd buy a pint of Graeters ice cream to eat and a half gallon of Bryers to coat my gun with.
Putting ice cream on your gun will make it more delicious.

Also, today seems to be grammar Nazi day so, "couldn't care less", and "with which to coat my gun." ;)

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I tested my other lubricant "KY Jelly" last night. Seems that it too could be made of crisco.

Thoughts?

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I don't disagree with alot of what he said, but I do disagree with the "snake oil" comment. While Fireclean is expensive for what it is, it does work. And it works pretty well in my experience. I've been using it for over a year. When I first started using it, I halfway expected it to fail by gumming up like Froglube. To my surprise, it still hasn't. I've got a couple of bottles of FC that will last me for at least a couple of years. I don't know if I'll buy more when it runs out, but considering the cost over time, it's not a big deal at all. In the meantime, hopefully someone will figure out what it's made of so I can buy a lifetime supply at the grocery store for $4.

Reactions: freedom

bearpugh

Hunter
R.I.P.
Aug 24, 2015
temple,ga
I don't disagree with alot of what he said, but I do disagree with the "snake oil" comment. While Fireclean is expensive for what it is, it does work. And it works pretty well in my experience. I've been using it for over a year. When I first started using it, I halfway expected it to fail by gumming up like Froglube. To my surprise, it still hasn't. I've got a couple of bottles of FC that will last me for at least a couple of years. I don't know if I'll buy more when it runs out, but considering the cost over time, it's not a big deal at all. In the meantime, hopefully someone will figure out what it's made of so I can buy a lifetime supply at the grocery store for $4.
some folks try everything that comes out. the secret is...they all work fine 'if' you use them. same with the froglube crap. just clean and oil your gun and it'll last a lifetime. then you can save all that money to buy rip ammo. lol

Reactions: Strider12

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
some folks try everything that comes out. the secret is...they all work fine 'if' you use them. same with the froglube crap. just clean and oil your gun and it'll last a lifetime. then you can save all that money to buy rip ammo. lol
I tried Froglube based on the recommendation of someone I trust and is an industry expert in his own right. That little experiment sucked. After following the ridiculous and time consuming instructions exactly to a "T", it failed miserably. After about 90 days, it turned into a sticky sludge.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I tried Froglube based on the recommendation of someone I trust and is an industry expert in his own right. That little experiment sucked. After following the ridiculous and time consuming instructions exactly to a "T", it failed miserably. After about 90 days, it turned into a sticky sludge.
froglube is a hoax.

Reactions: DarthVader

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
So, I've been doing a little more reading on this topic over the last few days. It turns out that straight veggie oil or canola oil are NOT the same as Fireclean. Short version, they spoil and turn rancid quickly, stinking to high heaven. Fireclean is most certainly a vegetable or seed based oil, most likely a combination of oils. No one knows yet if there are any additives used. So, it does appear that the makers of FC actually did their homework and developed a unique product. Veggie based, non-toxic oils are becoming much more popular in industrial use and in some cases, do outperform petro based lubes. Here's my cliff notes posted on another site.

It took me several days, but I finally made it through this whole freaking thread. Conclusions?

FC is not crisco as purported by TFB and the weaponshield guy.
Off the shelf cooking oils are not a suitable replacement. Have you ever smelled old, left over cooking oil? Nasty!
Don't use FC for cooking. You should use Froglube instead, because it imparts a nice minty flavor.
Also, the bottle of Weaponshield that I have is going in the trash, based on principles alone. WTF?

Personal observations after more than a year using FC.
It works.

I swore off wonderlubes after a terrible experience with FL. That is until a kind member here sent me a partially used bottle to try out. I still have that bottle because a little goes a LONG way. I subsequently purchased 2 more bottles, one for the workbench and one for the range bag. I've always thought that FC was expensive and that's been my only complaint. But considering that my 2.5 bottles will last for years, it's really not a big deal.

Also, I've never seen FC gum up like FL did. My guns can sit up for weeks at a time and go months between cleaning. I initially cleaned them with brake cleaner and then acetone. Wiped off any residue with a paper towel and went to town with FC. I even break the "light film" rule and generally run the guns wet. Mostly suppressed on AR's and pistols. No issues whatsoever.

In short, I'm a converted skeptic.

Also, we already knew that FC was a plant based oil. So what's the BFD?

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
It's the Hoppe's cartel. They can't have someone selling $120/gallon crisco cutting into their profits from selling $50/gallon kerosene.