GA Firing Line

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'm thinking about swapping the standard BCG for a full auto rated one. What coating works best for you when running suppressed and what BCG would you recommend.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Is it better to go with adjustable BCG or adjustable gas block or both. All this is to help with blowback right.

I wish I could comment on the gas block... I bought a DSG railed upper during last year's black friday sale mostly because it had an adjustable gas block. I've yet to fit the required flash hider to that upper so I can shoot it suppressed.

I'm tired of eating gas when shooting the AR with the SPECWAR can. Wolf ammo is a no go for me, mostly because I enjoy breathing. I also bought a spare charging handle to drill per the @NWS thread, but I haven't done that yet either.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I wish I could comment on the gas block... I bought a DSG railed upper during last year's black friday sale mostly because it had an adjustable gas block. I've yet to fit the required flash hider to that upper so I can shoot it suppressed.

I'm tired of eating gas when shooting the AR with the SPECWAR can. Wolf ammo is a no go for me, mostly because I enjoy breathing. I also bought a spare charging handle to drill per the @NWS thread, but I haven't done that yet either.

The Specwar K is on paper now hopefully by February I'll be running it but trying to control some of that gas is the goal.
We went to Quiet Riot Tour and I think the Specwar was actually had less blowback than others.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
The Specwar K is on paper now hopefully by February I'll be running it but trying to control some of that gas is the goal.
We went to Quiet Riot Tour and I think the Specwar was actually had less blowback than others.

Wow... well, that's good to hear about the Specwar. I was being dumb when I bought it from Jake because I think I picked it based on price and the QD mount alone.

I will say that three or four quick shots is all I can take at a time. And I'm pretty sure my rifle is really over gassed. I didn't have that much trouble with the other suppressed ARs I've shot in the past.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Wow... well, that's good to hear about the Specwar. I was being dumb when I bought it from Jake because I think I picked it based on price and the QD mount alone.

I will say that three or four quick shots is all I can take at a time. And I'm pretty sure my rifle is really over gassed. I didn't have that much trouble with the other suppressed ARs I've shot in the past.
What barrel are you using?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
What barrel are you using?

That particular rifle is the one I always go to- it's a 16" 1:7 Spike's factory lightweight upper that I put a "13.something" inch BAR rail on- it's my favorite carbine. The gas block is the one that came on the upper- I milled the bayonet lug and sight tower off of so it would fit under the new rail.

I don't know how big the gas port is drilled, but I'm thinking it's on the large side. I've watched other people shoot it and there's as much smoke coming from the ejection port as there is coming from the muzzle.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I wouldn't be surprised if it is. There are obviously several options for over gassing, both with and without a suppressor. You can control it at the gas block or the carrier. Your selection of buffer can also help.

Personally, I don't like gas blocks because I like simple. While it might be unfounded, I don't like the idea of small parts that can either work out of adjustment or be frozen in place by carbon fouling. But if the gun is way over gassed, it's better to reduce the gas flow at the block. You just have to be sure to set it up so that it will still run on weak ammo without the suppressor attached.

The carrier is option #2. The gemtech works similar to the WAR upper, with a suppressed and unsuppressed setting. It is a simple gate that has two positions.

The LMT enhanced carrier is my preference. It does a few things differently. First, it was more or less intact designed specifically for overgassed uppers. The cam pin track delays unlocking and it has extra vent holes to redirect excess gas. It also has no adjustments, nothing extra to fail. Simple.

Finally, running the heaviest buffer possible, without causing short stroking will help as well.

Reactions: Red Dawn

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I appreciate the diagnosis... and I forgot about the buffer. I think that one has the Spike's heavy buffer in it- only because it was a free add in from Aim Surplus when I bought the upper.

I think that upper/later full carbine was bought in about 2008 during the post divorce buying spree. Quite honestly, I didn't do any research other than price comparison. At the time I had no intention of suppressing the rifle. Or any real idea of an end game for that build. It has changed over time, but is still the "light weight" fast .223 carbine I wanted. It's just got a few issues with the latest additions.

As it sits, I've had no problems with any factory ammo or my reloads. It's reliable enough- that's for sure. However, being able to breathe while shooting has it's advantages. There is so much going on with family and other things that fixing the carbine has fallen down low on the list. I should probably work on it more, but with a range outing once a month (or every few months) it's not the priority. God help me if it were ever shoved to the top of that list.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I guess I need to let you shoot my suppressed set up. Blow back has never really be a problem.

Reactions: Red Dawn

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
midlength is much better, i was doing full auto mag dumps with steel case and not getting much blowback with my specwar
The specwar really isn't that bad on blowback. A good friend of mine runs one on a Mk18. That Gun is definitely overgassed, but it just runs and runs.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
The specwar really isn't that bad on blowback. A good friend of mine runs one on a Mk18. That Gun is definitely overgassed, but it just runs and runs.
the expansion chamber on it is huuuuuge. The Saker's insides look exactly the same, minus the huge expansion chamber.

I'm also using the Specwar762.

Reactions: DarthVader

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
That was the main reason behind buying the Specwar K for me. I'll have to wait and see how it runs on the carbine length with my BCG before I look at changing to a mid length system.