AR question

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
what are the pros and cons for carbine length gas systems vs mid length and rifle length?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
As far as the gas system alone goes, there's really no advantage to one or another. Each has its own springs and buffers to make its timing work properly.

There's one problem that I have with the carbine length gas system, though. That's the fact that a bayonet doesn't fit properly. A carbine length barrel with a mid-length gas system would solve the "problem", but there's not much I can do with my carbine (16" barrel and carbine-length gas system) now.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
I might be wrong about this, because I am far from an AR expert, but my understanding is that the longer gas systems do soften the recoil impulse just a wee bit.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Good info. Thx.

Just ordered a PSA mid-length/Aimpoint Pro package. Should see it before February if I'm lucky.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
yz9890 said:
Good info. Thx.

Just ordered a PSA mid-length/Aimpoint Pro package. Should see it before February if I'm lucky.

PSAARUpgrades.jpg

Excellent choice. I bought one and made some additions. It's a great starting package. I'd also suggest their .22LR Conversion Package. It's a great money saver on ammunition costs.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
yz9890 said:
is that an afg1 or 2?
It is an AFG 1, the 2 is shorter in length and width. The front doesn't have the side wraps up onto the quad rail as the 1 did. I got large paws so I needed the extra surface provided by the 1.

It sits on a MI Quad Rail.

That's a 3X Magnifier sitting behind the Aimpoiint PRO.

A friend of mine called this afternoon. PSA is about 1/2 a miles down the street from my house. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NCIS) is taking from 45 minutes to an Hour. They are having a run on sales between yesterday and today. Both ARs and ammo are getting hard to find.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I bought a pile of stuff I can't wait to try out. I expect some of it I may not like and i'll probably take off but if I'm going to be waiting a while for the rifle I may as well stockpile some crap for it. magpul mid length hand guard and CTR butt stock, MOE grip, enhanced trigger guard. noveske QD end plate, B.A.D.D. lever, Aimpoint cover, BCM Mod4 Gunfighter charging handle, about 15 Pmags, MS3 sling, AFG2 (my 11yr old son has smaller hands), and a forward sling mount for the MS3. the Aimpoint pro and magpul backup sight come with it. still thinking about a magnifier but I don't like most quad rails so I'll either need a different mount for the aimpoint or have it hang off the front of the rail a bit to make room. also thinking about a TLR1HD light.

I'm getting a little twitchy.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
I bought a pile of stuff I can't wait to try out. I expect some of it I may not like and i'll probably take off but if I'm going to be waiting a while for the rifle I may as well stockpile some crap for it. magpul mid length hand guard and CTR butt stock, MOE grip, enhanced trigger guard. noveske QD end plate, B.A.D.D. lever, Aimpoint cover, BCM Mod4 Gunfighter charging handle, about 15 Pmags, MS3 sling, AFG2 (my 11yr old son has smaller hands), and a forward sling mount for the MS3. the Aimpoint pro and magpul backup sight come with it. still thinking about a magnifier but I don't like most quad rails so I'll either need a different mount for the aimpoint or have it hang off the front of the rail a bit to make room. also thinking about a TLR1HD light.

I certainly hope you've found a vendor who has all of what you want in stock and at reasonable pricing. What I've been reading is that many places have doubled their prices on 30-round AR-15 magazines, for example. Even then, they may not have any stock left. It's goofy but that's the way it is, unfortunately, and it has nothing to do with tomorrow being the predicted doomsday.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
yz9890 said:

LOL.... Those twitches can get expensive. But your shopping list looks great.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:

I certainly hope you've found a vendor who has all of what you want in stock and at reasonable pricing. What I've been reading is that many places have doubled their prices on 30-round AR-15 magazines, for example. Even then, they may not have any stock left. It's goofy but that's the way it is, unfortunately, and it has nothing to do with tomorrow being the predicted doomsday.

LOL... Between the Mayan Calendar and the hidden Oreo Cookie Predictions, we could be toast. On the other hand I have a 7:30 Dinner date coming over.

M

mukwah

Slowhand said:
LOL... Between the Mayan Calendar and the hidden Oreo Cookie Predictions, we could be toast. On the other hand I have a 7:30 Dinner date coming over.

I don't know if it means anything but I read in the paper that the temperature tomorrow is gonna be about 1200 degrees? ??? ? :-\

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
The Mayan calender is just like any other. At the end of the cycle, toss it and just get another. Just like we're all going to do in a week or so. Beside, It's already the 21st down under and they're ok so far. :D

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
With all the "Ancient Aliens" stuff on TV during the last year or so, I've wondered if there were ETs out there who could do time travel and who saw when the Earth went funky and then travelled back and told a few of our ancient civilizations about it. ::)

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:

I bought all that stuff Friday morning at my LGS. only thing I had to order was the buttstock.