AR question

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Denny4kids said:
When you drive the old pin out and install the new one, it's best to support the other side of the receiver where the old pin comes out. That little tab will break right off! An armourers block, or a piece of wood with a hole works great. We can't go buy an $80 receiver anymore.

I took this advice (thx Denny) and cut a block of wood, bought a set of roll pin punches, and a couple of roll pin starter punches so i would be ready to do it when it arrived only to find out PSA installed one for me at no extra charge. PSA had furniture options when I ordered it but most of it was out of stock. so the only furniture option I chose was the MOE FDE grip. there was no trigger guard option so I figured I'd get a standard straight guard. must've been part of the grip package. nice little surprise though. I'll exchange my extra one for some anti-tilt followers or an extractor upgrade kit or something.

M

mukwah

Very nice Rifle YZ!! Looks like you got your foot in the door just in time!! :)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
YZ, one additional tool that you should get is a Bolt vise. This little tool holds the bolt and depresses the ejector so you can then drive out the roll pin that retains the ejector. You'll want to do this when you do a detailed cleaning of the bolt or when you want to do a headspace check. Read the writeup in the link for more reasons to use this neat little tool.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
8y4a6a5y.jpg

vese8uqu.jpg

I zero'd the sights and optic but Henry is handling the break in. it's a straight shooter. had 1 double feed and sometimes the bolt doesn't lock back on an empty magazine (on 3 different type and brand new magazines). my brother told me not to decide it's a problem until I've got a few hundred rounds through it and the BCG and the interior walls of the upper smooth out a bit. the bolt catch seems to just barely catch the follower but I can't make it miss when I load an empty mag in the lower and push it around and tilt the follower etc. i also don't see any scratches on the back of the followers where I'd expect if it missed. if it persists after 300-400 rounds, I'll change the catch. I hear the Colt one is a fraction longer. then I guess I look into short stroking if that doesn't work. it's got 100rds of Lake City M193 and 60rds of Tula through it so far.

R

rayzer007

I'd say you got a pretty good breaker-inner (Henry) there YZ! ;)

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
I zero'd the sights and optic but Henry is handling the break in.
That little feller reminds me of my kids a couple of decades ago (maybe a little more). They used to have a ball cycling 3-1/2" floppies through my 386SX computer's drive when I was doing backups of the tiny hard drive.

yz9890 said:
Ihad 1 double feed and sometimes the bolt doesn't lock back on an empty magazine (on 3 different type and brand new magazines). my brother told me not to decide it's a problem until I've got a few hundred rounds through it and the BCG and the interior walls of the upper smooth out a bit. the bolt catch seems to just barely catch the follower but I can't make it miss when I load an empty mag in the lower and push it around and tilt the follower etc. i also don't see any scratches on the back of the followers where I'd expect if it missed. if it persists after 300-400 rounds, I'll change the catch. I hear the Colt one is a fraction longer. then I guess I look into short stroking if that doesn't work.
Try some Lake City M193 ammo or, at the very least, some USA commercial .223 ammo. It could be the action is short-stroking a bit.

I had a problem with a whole batch of five 20-round PMag magazines not holding the bolt back after the last round fired. I found that there was a spot on the back side of the magazines (the primer end) that was causing part of the bolt catch to rub on the magazine shell. The follower/spring didn't have enough energy to push past the friction. Filing a little off the back of the magazines eliminated the rubbing and totally solved the problem. My five 30-round PMag magazines exhibited no such problem, by the way.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:
I zero'd the sights and optic but Henry is handling the break in.
That little feller reminds me of my kids a couple of decades ago (maybe a little more). They used to have a ball cycling 3-1/2" floppies through my 386SX computer's drive when I was doing backups of the tiny hard drive.

yz9890 said:
Ihad 1 double feed and sometimes the bolt doesn't lock back on an empty magazine (on 3 different type and brand new magazines). my brother told me not to decide it's a problem until I've got a few hundred rounds through it and the BCG and the interior walls of the upper smooth out a bit. the bolt catch seems to just barely catch the follower but I can't make it miss when I load an empty mag in the lower and push it around and tilt the follower etc. i also don't see any scratches on the back of the followers where I'd expect if it missed. if it persists after 300-400 rounds, I'll change the catch. I hear the Colt one is a fraction longer. then I guess I look into short stroking if that doesn't work.
Try some Lake City M193 ammo or, at the very least, some USA commercial .223 ammo. It could be the action is short-stroking a bit.

I had a problem with a whole batch of five 20-round PMag magazines not holding the bolt back after the last round fired. I found that there was a spot on the back side of the magazines (the primer end) that was causing part of the bolt catch to rub on the magazine shell. The follower/spring didn't have enough energy to push past the friction. Filing a little off the back of the magazines eliminated the rubbing and totally solved the problem. My five 30-round PMag magazines exhibited no such problem, by the way.

good to know. I'll pull the follower out and check the inside of the mag. it happened on 2 USGI mags with anti tilt followers and 20 and 30rd magpuls. but mostly a 20rd pmag. and most of the ammo was LC M193 but I'll put the cheap stuff away until I get this figured out.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
good to know. I'll pull the follower out and check the inside of the mag. it happened on 2 USGI mags with anti tilt followers and 20 and 30rd magpuls. but mostly a 20rd pmag. and most of the ammo was LC M193 but I'll put the cheap stuff away until I get this figured out.
There's another thing that I forgot.

The followers in the 20-round PMags were just a little sticky when I would move them with a wood sliver (think 2"-wide yardstick) as a pusher. To improve things, I pulled the followers and springs out, lightly polished the sides of the followers and the insides of the magazine shells and then used some good paste wax to coat the inside surfaces of the magazine shells and the springs. After reassembly, the followers moved MUCH more smoothly when I pushed on them.

Since the smoothing/waxing and the trimming of the spot on the back of the magazines, every one has worked absolutely perfectly in my AR.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:
There's another thing that I forgot.

The followers in the 20-round PMags were just a little sticky when I would move them with a wood sliver (think 2"-wide yardstick) as a pusher. To improve things, I pulled the followers and springs out, lightly polished the sides of the followers and the insides of the magazine shells and then used some good paste wax to coat the inside surfaces of the magazine shells and the springs. After reassembly, the followers moved MUCH more smoothly when I pushed on them.

Since the smoothing/waxing and the trimming of the spot on the back of the magazines, every one has worked absolutely perfectly in my AR.

thanks. I never considered that the follower may not even be in position when the bolt came forward on an empty mag. I'll check it out.