AR question

Faktory 47

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:
I bought all that stuff Friday morning at my LGS. only thing I had to order was the buttstock.
I'm sure it's really nice to have Lady Luck on your side.... ;)

that's absolutely what happened. I got my Xmas bonus Friday with my paycheck (a day early because payday was on a weekend). I was watching that story as I bought the rifle online but no one had any info yet. I had planned on buying it that morning all along. I did buy a few more magazines than I was planning on though later that morning. just dumb luck but I'll take it.

it's not in my safe yet though so there's a chance I'll still get screwed.

D

Denny4kids

Hey yz9890, It's cool you have an AR coming and all the accessories. I would like to throw my 50 cents worth of info in there and mention the enhanced trigger guard. When you drive the old pin out and install the new one, it's best to support the other side of the receiver where the old pin comes out. That little tab will break right off! An armourers block, or a piece of wood with a hole works great. We can't go buy an $80 receiver anymore. Just saying.

Here in Boise the shelves are bare. No more AR or AK magazines. I counted 5 people looking at AR's at cabellas Saturday, and a friend said sportsman’s warehouse sold 40 AR's a day this week and now they are gone. There are a few plane jane M4 AR's out there and they want more than I have invested in my 3gun carbine! Wow! Denny

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Denny4kids said:
Hey yz9890, It's cool you have an AR coming and all the accessories. I would like to throw my 50 cents worth of info in there and mention the enhanced trigger guard. When you drive the old pin out and install the new one, it's best to support the other side of the receiver where the old pin comes out. That little tab will break right off! An armourers block, or a piece of wood with a hole works great. We can't go buy an $80 receiver anymore. Just saying.

thx for the advice. wilco.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
One additional tidbit for your new rifle. The absolute best thing you could do is to replace the "GI" trigger with a Geissele SSA trigger. It's a two-stage trigger that's super-smooth and clean breaking while still being totally safe. If you partially pull the trigger (even into the second stage) and decide not to fire, when you remove your finger from the trigger the trigger will fully reset.

The SSA is the trigger that's most highly recommended by Bill Geissele for typical semi-auto combat weapons. Wander around their web site and you'll learn a lot, as Bill makes many different trigger types. He's one of the absolute best makers of triggers today. I've spoken to Bill and he's very friendly and helpful even to the lowly individual customer like me.

If it isn't clear with this post, I have the SSA trigger in my AR-15 and love it.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:
Thanks for the link. This is quickly becoming an expensive rifle.

Wait until you go for an EOTech holographic sight and then add their 3.2x magnifier in front of it. ;)

I'm hoping the Aimpoint will keep me satisfied in that department. thinking about a magnifier though.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
is there any reason I need to pay $40 or more for a spanner wrench or will the $14 Tapco wrench work as well on the castle nut?

D

Denny4kids

If you are just changing the butt stock then the little tapco wrench is all you need.

I have noticed the AR15 is the Man's version of Barbie dolls and it's OK. Den

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
is there any reason I need to pay $40 or more for a spanner wrench or will the $14 Tapco wrench work as well on the castle nut?

If you don't have an accessory such as the Magpul ASAP (a sling mount device) under the castle nut, the Tapco wrench works fine. I have a Magpul ASAP and the Tapco wrench won't allow me to turn the castle nut enough. I found another type of spanner wrench that I still had to modify to make it work properly for my setup.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
it finally showed up yesterday at my FFL. I was out of town until this afternoon and could hardly sleep. drove right to my FFL from the airport.

Palmetto State Armory 16'' Mid-Length Premium/Aimpoint Pro Package
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-mid-premium-patrol-rifle-package.html

here it is with all the schwag I've been waiting to try out on it.
9uqany7u.jpg

here it is after. my spanner wrench hasn't arrived yet so I couldn't put on the Noveske QD end plate and I haven't picked out a sling yet either.
2y3uhuva.jpg

e4ebyse5.jpg

seeing as how I have exactly zero rds of 5.56, it may be 4yrs until I can get you a range report.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
check out the date and time stamp on my order.

"Your Order #100145741 (placed on December 14, 2012 9:33:47 AM EST)"

R

rayzer007

A very fine looking weapon YZ. Congratulations are certainly in order; you choose well!

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
seeing as how I have exactly zero rds of 5.56, it may be 4yrs until I can get you a range report.
I've got enough to sell you all you want at ten bucks a round..... ::)

Seriously - that's a nice looking stick. I do hope you can find something to feed it soon.

D

Denny4kids

Looks like a fine weapon you have there YZ. Enjoy! Denny