Any regular SET members do NFA engraving?

Howard Law

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I do not do engraving. I said I used Dobbs Defense and it was well worth it.
I believe that Dogleg also uses Dobbs. Basically, if you want it done locally, Dobbs is your best option.

On the Southside, Brian at Quiet Riot Firearms has started a firearms engraving business called Full Metal Racket. He does diamond drag engraving, not laser. I've seen a few examples of his work and it is very clean.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Fort Daniel in Lawrenceville does engraving. In my experience, the wait will be at least 2 weeks, but Nate does great work.

Ft. Daniel does alright work. The lead times are way too long and I had to call and them constantly after they missed their quoted lead time and check on the progress of my gun. Their cerakote work was nothing spectacular, and had a few bubbles and other imperfections. I didn't feel like dealing with them and their long lead times to fix it so I just got over it. When I went to pick up my gun I stood in their shop for 20 minutes while they were in another building with all kinds of guns laying around(including mine). I was a little uneasy about that to say the least considering the fact that they had my $1,200 pistol just laying in their shop unattended, not to mention other customers guns that I'm sure were worth way more than my 1911 was.

I don't know if Trading Place in Monroe does engraving but I'd check with them before I went to Ft. Daniel. JMO.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Ft. Daniel does alright work. The lead times are way too long and I had to call and them constantly after they missed their quoted lead time and check on the progress of my gun. Their cerakote work was nothing spectacular, and had a few bubbles and other imperfections. I didn't feel like dealing with them and their long lead times to fix it so I just got over it. When I went to pick up my gun I stood in their shop for 20 minutes while they were in another building with all kinds of guns laying around(including mine). I was a little uneasy about that to say the least considering the fact that they had my $1,200 pistol just laying in their shop unattended, not to mention other customers guns that I'm sure were worth way more than my 1911 was.

I don't know if Trading Place in Monroe does engraving but I'd check with them before I went to Ft. Daniel. JMO.

That's no bueno. Would like to think that someone's security is a bit better, to say the least. Their wait times are out of the norm from what you see with Dobbs. I can't imagine their prices are any better either.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

I honestly didn't know that Ft Daniel was still a thing.

Reactions: rOmiLaYu

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code

I think they are moving more and more towards precision rifles and machine work.

Last time I talked to Nate, they just hired some 1911 guys to build FD 1911's. I imagine that trying to compete with APA and AO who are both pretty much around the corner does not work well.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I think they are moving more and more towards precision rifles and machine work.

Last time I talked to Nate, they just hired some 1911 guys to build FD 1911's. I imagine that trying to compete with APA and AO who are both pretty much around the corner does not work well.
Custom 1911's is a losing market in my opinion, even worse than the custom AR / cerakote market. It's a small niche dominated by Wilson, Nighthawk, Yost, Combat Precision, etc. They'd be smart to focus on precision bolt guns. But with Accurate Ordnance in Winder, they've got some stiff competition and a very high bar already set there too.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Custom 1911's is a losing market in my opinion, even worse than the custom AR / cerakote market. It's a small niche dominated by Wilson, Nighthawk, Yost, Combat Precision, etc. They'd be smart to focus on precision bolt guns. But with Accurate Ordnance in Winder, they've got some stiff competition and a very high bar already set there too.

I'm with you there. They keep floundering around for new ideas, but fact of the matter is, they are a machine shop.

Reactions: DarthVader

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
That's no bueno. Would like to think that someone's security is a bit better, to say the least. Their wait times are out of the norm from what you see with Dobbs. I can't imagine their prices are any better either.

Prices were on the high side of average. Not what I would call expensive but not cheap either. Their work was subpar IMO, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so YMMV. This was a few years ago though so they may have gotten better, but then again they may have also gotten worse. I'm not trying to bash them at all, just giving my honest opinion on my experience with them. Nate was a nice enough guy, but their lead times and their CS left a bit to be desired.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

I wouldn't know. This was a few years ago and I have since moved so I don't get out that way very much anymore. I wouldn't use them if I was still over that way though. I just saw them mentioned and figured I'd throw my experience with them out there. I'm sure they'd do a great job if it's just engraving but I personally wouldn't use them for anything else based on previous experience with them. If someone does use them for engraving just be prepared for a longer than average lead time.