And It Starts With Academy

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I haven't worked in a gun store before, but I did work in manufacturing and know about FOB prices and manufacturing costs. From my experience, the manufactured cost is more or less doubled in the FOB price. Then the retailers more or less double the price again.

At least for general merchandise... Talking with gun store folks, I get the impression that guns and ammo are more in the 10% to 20% range. Basically, the guns and ammo are just not worth keeping in the chain stores- except that they bring in the people buying other things.
Anything sold by chain stores in volume (870's, 60's, 10/22's etc 700 ADL's etc) have terrible margin. We even lost money on them after paying commissions. Same with target shotgun ammo. wwb and similar was a 10-18% margin item. HD loads could be up to 25%.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Anything sold by chain stores in volume (870's, 60's, 10/22's etc 700 ADL's etc) have terrible margin. We even lost money on them after paying commissions. Same with target shotgun ammo. wwb and similar was a 10-18% margin item. HD loads could be up to 25%.

Ouch- at that percentage, it's tough to pay the people working and keep the lights on. At least using the general business model and my very limited knowledge. But I don't run a business, so I'm just speculating.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ouch- at that percentage, it's tough to pay the people working and keep the lights on. At least using the general business model and my very limited knowledge. But I don't run a business, so I'm just speculating.
Well one of two things better be happening (or both). You'd better be buying a lot of used guns(and keeping inventory moving) and making 45-55%+ on them, and you'd better be selling clothing and shooting accessories.
You also have to be smart enough to start sale tagging stuff that's not selling and getting it out of the store rather than having it tie up cash. (that's the hardest thing for small business owners to get through their heads).

Inventory control is key too. No more than a 6-8 week supply of any item.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Well one of two things better be happening (or both). You'd better be buying a lot of used guns(and keeping inventory moving) and making 45-55%+ on them, and you'd better be selling clothing and shooting accessories.
You also have to be smart enough to start sale tagging stuff that's not selling and getting it out of the store rather than having it tie up cash. (that's the hardest thing for small business owners to get through their heads).

Inventory control is key too. No more than a 6-8 week supply of any item.

Makes sense- and considering that most of the chain stores do not take trades or sell used guns (Bass Pro being the only exception I can think of... sort of), the firearms and ammo just seem like a drain on the rest of the store.

Kind of reminds me of the first departments to be cut at K-Mart. There's probably something to be learned there.

And like @Cudruln said, this could be great for small businesses. And I hope the best for them. Although they're still competing with the internet "giants" like DSG, PSA, and Impact Guns, etc.

Reactions: Cudruln and Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Makes sense- and considering that most of the chain stores do not take trades or sell used guns (Bass Pro being the only exception I can think of... sort of), the firearms and ammo just seem like a drain on the rest of the store.

Kind of reminds me of the first departments to be cut at K-Mart. There's probably something to be learned there.

And like @Cudruln said, this could be great for small businesses. And I hope the best for them. Although they're still competing with the internet "giants" like DSG, PSA, and Impact Guns, etc.
A lot of small businesses need someone to strategize and develop an inventory plan.

I'm available y'all. ;)

permaneo vox