AK Buyers guide help thread

American Revival Apparel Company

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Ok so I found this whilst browsing reddit this morning and thought I would share here because there is some good info and there seems to be more and more AK love going on around here.

Shoutout to the OP /u/GrittyHandjob

At the request/interest of a couple of posters looking for a guide sticky, as well as with the assistance of /u/LynchMob_Lerry, here's a brief breakdown of options that are currently available, and why you might consider one over the other. I'm not the end-all expert, so feel free to let me know if we're wrong on something, and you're welcome to add to this with more info on builders, the used market, etc. And as with anything on the internet, you're welcome to ignore as much or as little as you like, but I believe we have a bias-free, brief factual breakdown of what is out there. All prices and options come from what I was able to find on all the major online retailers.

So, let's jump in.

The rifles;
I.O. < $600

Century WASR-10 $625

Zastava NPAP $630

Century RAS47 $630

DDI stamped $750

Century C39V2 $750

Cugir RH10 $800 (Magpul Zhukov)

Kit guns (Atlantic, James River, Petronov, High Standard, etc.) ~$800-$900

DDI milled $939

Arsenal SLR107 $1000

Arsenal SLR104 $1000-$1100

Definitive Arms DAKM-4150 $1100-$1200

Arsenal SAM7R $1300

Arsenal SAM7SF $1400

Kreb's AK-103KS $1700

Rifle Dynamics $1800-$2200

What should I get for $600?
For $600, look for the WASR. It features a chrome-lined, cold-hammer forged barrel, and is made in a factory that has been making military AKs for decades. They have been proven rifles in both military and civilian form, and Rob Ski from the AKOU has given it high praises. The WASR will accept standard AKM furniture. Another option for a budget rifle is the Zastava N-PAP. It is made in current day Serbia and is another proven budget rifle. While not as loved as the WASR series, they are nonetheless a good rifle. The major downside of the Yugo rifles are they do not feature a chrome-lined barrel, and only accept Yugo-specific furniture. While it does limit your options, the Yugo aftermarket is an ever-growing market. Like the WASR, the Yugos are made in a military factory with decades of history. Both rifles are susceptible to coming with canted sights or other small assembly errors, which is why the overwhelming suggestion is to get a QC-inspected rifle before buying. The RAS47 and I.O. branded rifles are generally frowned on for using substandard building techniques or improper heat treating. If you get one of these rifles, it is at your own risk.

$800-$850?
Well, your world opens to the DDI stamped rifles, Cugir RH10, Century C39V2, and the parts guns from other larger builders (Atlantic, Petronov, High Standard, etc). The thing to consider at this price point is barrel quality. You do get generally better fit/finished rifles, but you also get US-made, predominantly 4140 barrels, where the N-PAP and WASR both offer cold-hammer forged military barrels. You can decide for yourself what barrel is best for you, but if you decide you want to spend ~$800 on an AK, most will suggest going with DDI. It's a Hungarian parts kit rifle, and it come with a nitrided 4140 barrel, but the overall build quality is typically excellent. The Century C39V2 honestly should be expected to suffer from similar bolt issues as the RAS47, and it's also just not on the same fit/finish level as the DDI. I have not seen much of a track record from the other builders out there, so you're flying solo there. The Cugir RH10 is essentially a dressed up WASR, and being so close to the next price bracket, it's going to have to be a personal choice as to whether you can justify that.

How about $900-$1100?
There are real decisions to make here. You get Arsenal SLR's around $1000, DDI's milled rifles for just a little bit less, and the Definitive Arms DAKM-4150 is there (even if unobtanium). So what does a person get for their extra cash? Well, in the case of the Arsenal SLR's, you are getting a Bulgarian-built stamped rifle made in the Arsenal of Bulgaria factory. They come with new Bulgarian cold-hammer forged chrome-lined barrels, 4.5mm side folders, and a more expensive muzzle device. They also have an enamel-over-park finish. If one considers those features of value to them, the SLR's make sense, given the cost to add the same features to any of the lower-priced rifles. Like the WASR and N-PAP, Arsenals are well-proven rifles, but they're also production line rifles, and Arsenal sticks to their guns about canted parts being in-spec if a rifle zeroes and functions. If the prospect of canted parts bothers you, check out the rifle before buying, or perhaps look elsewhere. The other two options opened up to you are the DDI milled guns, and the Definitive Arms DAKM. The DDI utilizes the same barrel as their stamped rifle, though it has an in-house milled receiver. The Definitive Arms is a polish parts gun that comes with a US-made nitrided 4150 barrel, but it's a largely custom-shop rifle. The fit and finish should be solid, and the barrel quality is a big plus (see Rob @ AKOU's accuracy test of the rifle). That said, they're hard to get, being a smaller shop. Either one should be a quality shooter, the decision essentially revolves around quality domestic parts builds vs. factory-built rifle.

So what about those above $1100?
Above the $1100 range, you're getting into somewhat niche stuff. Arsenal SAM's are Bulgarian milled rifles around $1300-$1500, and you also start creeping up into pseudo-custom territory with Kreb's and Rifle Dynamics approaching and exceeding $1700. The SAM's are some of the nicest milled receiver rifles around, and if you want some of the pros of the SLR's, but with a milled receiver, there you are. Some love milled guns, some have no interest, it's up to you. The Kreb's rifles that are built off of RAS47's aren't generally something I would recommend, but the ones built off of the Arsenal SLR or Russian Saiga series are excellent rifles. Krebs does some gunsmith work to the base rifle, and you can be sure you're getting a high quality rifle with stellar fit and finish. Rifle Dynamics, as well, costs what they do because of the gunsmith time. If you're not the DIY type, this is where Kreb's and Rifle Dynamics make a lot of sense... they do the work so you don't have to. If you're considering either one, you likely already know what you want. But if you've wondered why an AK costs $1800-$2200? Time and parts.

Bottom line?
Bottom line, buy what you like. There's a reason why so many posts end up with "just buy a WASR". They're proven, no-frill rifles at an agreeable price point. Spending more is going to be a personal decision. Hope all of that helps someone make that decision, and as I said, please do feel free to correct or add to this.

Reactions: sam

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
After seeing all the hate on the RAS from century which features a military grade 4150 ESS chrome moly nitride treated barrel, I investigated only to find out that they are pretty poorly built rifles. Here is an interesting video review on it from AK Operators Union in which the bolt is literally missing pieces and the rivets in the receiver are backing out after only 1,000 rounds....

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm happy as can be with my RAS so far. The build quality is far and away better than any WASR I've owned.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I'm happy as can be with my RAS so far. The build quality is far and away better than any WASR I've owned.
That's a common misconception with newer wasrs. The current production ones are arguably the best $600 ish dollar AKs because of the parts used (specifically the barrels), the machines they're built on, and the improved quality control.

I'm not hating on the RAS too hard intentionally, as I have always thought it was in fact the superior build of the two rifles. Hell I would still own one, but dollar for dollar, I'd go wasr personally.

Sent from your moms couch using her iPhone

Reactions: Strider12 and sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I bought a Century Arms RAS AK47 brand new last year,never shot it.. It's buried in safe getting scratched up.
would like to sell it,im outta the AK game, sold off all of them, including all my beloved "truck guns" PAP's

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I bought a Century Arms RAS AK47 brand new last year,never shot it.. It's buried in safe getting scratched up.
would like to sell it,im outta the AK game, sold off all of them, including all my beloved "truck guns" PAP's
Im trading a PAP today actually lol

Sell me your ammo and mags for cheap then since you dont need them ;)

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
Im trading a PAP today actually lol

Sell me your ammo and mags for cheap then since you dont need them ;)
I well aware that im known as the "dumb blonde" and worse lol
BUT as long as i own a weapon i will have minium of 2000 rounds of ammo for it,and a couple extra mags
otherwise i would have a FREAKIN USELESS WEAPON

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
BUT as long as i own a weapon i will have minium of 2000 rounds of ammo for it,and a couple extra mags
I meant once the gun is gone fool.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Leshaire and sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
well post it for 650 firm then... its posted for 800 right now..??
thats a old bushmaster ar15
no,ill take $650 just for the AK then i can sell off mags and ammo to you for a couple bucks

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I do prefer the AK's over the AR's

i went out and bought 4 colt ar's ( now my goal is to stock up on ammo and mags for ar's)
and then started selling off all my ak's if memory serves me right, i had 2 wasr ak's and 6 pap's made package deal on 1 of the ak's with some ammo and 70+mags. had 2 bushmaster ar's sold 1 still have 1 to sell
so now all i have left is century arms ak 20 mags and some 2100 rounds ammo

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
Ahh true.

Sell that thing and get a wasr ;)
I'm done with Ak's per my husbands demand (and my son)
I prefer my Colt ar's that jam with cheap ass ammo.........lol never had any issue with my AK's jamming

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I'm done with Ak's per my husbands demand (and my son)
I prefer my Colt ar's that jam with cheap ass ammo.........lol never had any issue with my AK's jamming
uhhhh yeah because theyre superior weapons duhhhhhhh

your son doesnt like them bc the US military has convinced him ARs are better lol

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
these were Duke nuclear energy trade in
havent been shot much, but do have scratches IMG_2837.JPG