AK Buyers guide help thread

Faktory 47
H

Hoss

Mak-90's are still some of the best AK-variants available and are built like tanks. I have personally owned several and noticed that many of the people that asked about trading with me were not really familiar with these particular guns. So, with that in mind I just wanted to post a picture of a rifle I ran across a while back. The gun was an excellent-condition Mak90 with beautiful wood furniture and was pre-stamped for an underfolder. The price was right and I set up a meeting with the seller.

I asked for some close-up pictures and liked what I saw... right up to the point where I saw the picture below. This particular gun was marked with "LABANU INC, Ronkonkoma, NY" as the importer. (not all rifles imported by Labanu are affected, they just seem to have gotten the lion's share of them) If you look above the magazine catch you will see that there are three rivets in a triangle pattern. The lower left pin should not be there and makes this gun an illegal "machine gun" in the eyes of the ATF. The fact that the hole is plugged means nothing and possession of this gun is a federal crime. If you come across one, do not buy it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458312033.064294.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458312043.097513.jpg

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Mak-90's are still some of the best AK-variants available and are built like tanks. I have personally owned several and noticed that many of the people that asked about trading with me were not really familiar with these particular guns. So, with that in mind I just wanted to post a picture of a rifle I ran across a while back. The gun was an excellent-condition Mak90 with beautiful wood furniture and was pre-stamped for an underfolder. The price was right and I set up a meeting with the seller.

I asked for some close-up pictures and liked what I saw... right up to the point where I saw the picture below. This particular gun was marked with "LABANU INC, Ronkonkoma, NY" as the importer. (not all rifles imported by Labanu are affected, they just seem to have gotten the lion's share of them) If you look above the magazine catch you will see that there are three rivets in a triangle pattern. The lower left pin should not be there and makes this gun an illegal "machine gun" in the eyes of the ATF. The fact that the hole is plugged means nothing and possession of this gun is a federal crime. If you come across one, do not buy it.

View attachment 13945 View attachment 13946
Very interesting. I recall this came up on a new production galil or something just the other day. Speaking of mak90s I came across an interesting variant from Zastava with a similar receiver to the mak90, but instead of 1.5mm its 1.6mm. It's the m70 ab2 which was built beefier to withstand the pressure of shooting grenades from an attached launcher. Pretty neat gun. Not sure about internal quality compared to the mak90, but I do know it has a cheaper non chrome lined barrel. Pretty cool to me nonetheless.
5dcdd19bd37114cf9cebc968961f50c5.jpg

Sent from your moms couch using her iPhone

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Very interesting. I recall this came up on a new production galil or something just the other day. Speaking of mak90s I came across an interesting variant from Zastava with a similar receiver to the mak90, but instead of 1.5mm its 1.6mm. It's the m70 ab2 which was built beefier to withstand the pressure of shooting grenades from an attached launcher. Pretty neat gun. Not sure about internal quality compared to the mak90, but I do know it has a cheaper non chrome lined barrel. Pretty cool to me nonetheless.
5dcdd19bd37114cf9cebc968961f50c5.jpg

Sent from your moms couch using her iPhone

Those are fine guns....just heavy.

Unless you have a huge stockpile of surplus corrosive 7.62x39 I wouldn't worry too much about chrome lining.

That said I prefer chrome lined....1.0mm receivers do me just fine too.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
AK Operators Union epic quest for 5K rounds through a RAS47 part three at 1500 rounds done
-Further deformation of the bolt and carrier
-Bolt and carrier getting stuck open
-Rivet backing further out
-Front sight guard broken off
-Furniture falling apart

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
So the RAS47 is a bigger POS than the WASR10? Well, I guess for the price point, of the RAS47 (appx. $630.00) I'd look for a MAK-90, or bite the bullet and a extra $400.00 bucks and get a Arsenal...

Did PSA every get their shit together and put out their AK rifle?

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So the RAS47 is a bigger POS than the WASR10? Well, I guess for the price point, of the RAS47 (appx. $630.00) I'd look for a MAK-90, or bite the bullet and a extra $400.00 bucks and get a Arsenal...

Did PSA every get their shit together and put out their AK rifle?
Thats a misconception. The new production WASRs are great guns. Especially for $600-675. PSA did but they blow lol. Their new line is supposed to be better... Count me out though.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Thats a misconception. The new production WASRs are great guns. Especially for $600-675. PSA did but they blow lol. Their new line is supposed to be better... Count me out though.

Okay, maybe I went a little over board, calling the WASR a POS... After all in that video, the dude has one w/ 7,000 rounds down the pipe. I will say this though, my WASR AK, shot like shit as far as shot groups go.

I'm much happier with my Arsenal AK-74, and Century AK-74, then I was w/my WASR10 AK-47... But the best damn AK rifle I ever had was my MAK-90, ask @boss_hawg he has it now, and he loves it.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Okay, maybe I went a little over board, calling the WASR a POS... After all in that video, the dude has one w/ 7,000 rounds down the pipe. I will say this though, my WASR AK, shot like shit as far as shot groups go.

I'm much happier with my Arsenal AK-74, and Century AK-74, then I was w/my WASR10 AK-47... But the best damn AK rifle I ever had was my MAK-90, ask @boss_hawg he has it now, and he loves it.
LOL well the older production ones did blow. The new ones are lightyears better than almost anything else sub $700. I'd love a MAK90 but can never find one under like 950... For that I'll scoop up stamped arsenals instead lol

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Here is something I find interesting from AKOU. He is just at 2k rounds of a 5k round test on the Arsenal SLR107fr, which I have owned (Dougie has it now) and swear by. During the 1k-2k round the trigger failed to reset. Also the finish is bubbling and coming off of the barrel and gas block.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I'll have to look around on you tube, but I think there is a MAK-90 w/ 19,000 rounds down the pipe... I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I'll have to look around on you tube, but I think there is a MAK-90 w/ 19,000 rounds down the pipe... I'll look around and see if I can find it.
I was listening to one of the main guys at Rifle Dynamics the other day and he said most AKs should last 20K rounds with nothing but a few spring replacements. He was saying the only downfall really is the grouping will get bigger and bigger with more rounds and by 20K the barrel should be replaced. Im not sure how accurate that is but it was interesting to listen too.

This is the same guy that says you shouldnt buy an AK for less than $1k and his shop wont work on anything thats not arsenal, krebs or similar so maybe hes referring to those type brands only. Not 100% sure.

Chase

Hunter
May 16, 2016
Oak Ridge
Zip code
Ive had a yugo m70 underfolder in the past. It was a good gun. When ever I get around to getting back in to the AK game I would like to pick up a stamped DDI. Part of me just wants one because they are made in Knoxville just like me.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Ive had a yugo m70 underfolder in the past. It was a good gun. When ever I get around to getting back in to the AK game I would like to pick up a stamped DDI. Part of me just wants one because they are made in Knoxville just like me.
I also had a yugo underfolder, an M70AB2 to be exact, and liked it a lot. It's a tad heavy to lug around for super far, and of course the stock will beat the crap out of your shoulder and face, but still a nice gun. I like the history and reason for its creation I guess. That tends to get me within guns lol.

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk