Adding Utah (non-resident) permit

Howard Law

bobnoffs

Scout
Jun 20, 2012
northwest wi.
skip,
not exactly concerned with transporting thru the state but good points. after googling it seems that handguns are banned in chicago but can be stowed legally in your car in cook county.
ya got me on the hotel thing.
i am going to call a large gun dealer i am familiar with in illinois and see what they say.
definitely stay out of chicago city limits though.
bob noffs

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bobnoffs said:
skip,
not exactly concerned with transporting thru the state but good points. after googling it seems that handguns are banned in chicago but can be stowed legally in your car in cook county.
ya got me on the hotel thing.
i am going to call a large gun dealer i am familiar with in illinois and see what they say.
definitely stay out of chicago city limits though.
I would be really interested in what you find out.

I would need to know about the laws applying to transporting firearms while traveling on the I-294 tollway and the I-94 freeway at the southern end of the Chicago area (that's how I get from Wisconsin to Indiana). In addition, I'd want to know about the laws concerning the various oasis rest stops along the tollway. I realize that getting onto the surface streets in Chicago changes things.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ironically, Illinois has a very nice shooting facility called the World Shooting and Recreation Complex located in Sparta Illinois. I have been meaning to visit this place, but my buddy goes there to shoot clays. They have a link on legally transporting your firearm that may be of assistance for transporting your firearm through the commi state of Illinois. The layout is weird on this pdf, its meant to be a tri-fold I believe. Anyways, I think it may answer a few of the questions here.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/TransportYourFirearmLegally.pdf

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
BubbaDX said:
Many thanks for that.

I was thinking that we should find out what it takes to get a non-resident Illinois FOID card..... In that effort, I discovered that non residents of Illinois don't need a FOID card if transporting a cased and unloaded firearm.

This link should be useful to many: Firearm Owners Identification Card

While this applies to the State of Illinois, I'm guessing that Cook County may have more restrictive laws. Can anybody provide information about this?

R

rayzer007

The thought occurred to me - what if I were in a major fender bender in Illinois? I guess the police would have to hold the weapon in that case. I think your apprehension is well founded Skip.
Ray

bobnoffs

Scout
Jun 20, 2012
northwest wi.
I talked to a gun shop and they said the gun ban in chicago only applies to chicago residents. according to gunshop a legally stowed gun by a non resident can be in chicago.

I don't think I would quite take this to the bank. I would want to hear it from a few more gun shops. Anyone else have an angle on getting to the truth?

I do believe there are no cook county bans on handguns [unless magazine capacity plays a part]
bob noffs

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bobnoffs said:
I talked to a gun shop and they said the gun ban in chicago only applies to chicago residents. according to gunshop a legally stowed gun by a non resident can be in chicago.

I don't think I would quite take this to the bank. I would want to hear it from a few more gun shops. Anyone else have an angle on getting to the truth?

I do believe there are no cook county bans on handguns [unless magazine capacity plays a part]
Since I would want to carry my Glock 19 - at least for a hotel defense weapon - on a trip, it might well have a problem with magazine capacity limits.

I think the group here really needs to find a comprehensive "gotcha" list. It might also be good to do the same thing for other places link New York City, New Jersey, etc.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Good idea Skip. When you were talking about Illinois, the first place I thought about was New York City. A "gotcha" list would be very helpful.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I decided to leave all weapons at home while on a trip down South over the past week and a half and, fortunately, never had a situation where I may have regretted that decision.

R

rayzer007

Got my Utah carry permit in the mail today! I pickup an additional 17 states; licensed to carry in 34 now! Nice doing business with the great state of Utah! ;)
Only downside was there is a picture of an old man on it :( although he looks vaguely familiar!

Ray

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
rayzer007 said:
Only downside was there is a picture of an old man on it :( although he looks vaguely familiar!

Ray

You're four years older than me Ray, and you look 10 years younger. Stop your belly aching you old coot! :)

Chris

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
You guys probably look like an old raccoon........ :p
Raccoon.jpg

R

rayzer007

Trigger_1 said:
You guys probably look like an old raccoon........ :p

I don't know Trig; the raccoon looks like it has a clue as to what's going on! :p
(Speaking for myself and not my buddy Sarge!).

Ray

pawpaw

Scout
Sep 19, 2012
Missouri
I believe my Missouri permit is honored by all states except Illinois and Vermont. what would be the advantage for a guy from Missouri to get any non resident permits at all?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
rayzer007 said:
The Missouri permit is not that extensive PawPaw. There are 13 areas you cannot carry. See this map
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
The labeling of that web page is a bit misleading in my opinion. Though it appears to be a great resource, I think it would be best to look at each state's laws to determine where one's permit is accepted AND what the rules are in the other states.

Rules seem to be quite different in different states as well as in different places in the same state (New York state vs New York City, for example). I think that I'd want to be SURE of the rules wherever I might want to carry outside of the states that I hold permits for (only one for me at this time).

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
pawpaw; NY State does not recognize any concealed carry permit from any other state. In order to obtain a concealed carry permit for NY State you must be a resident. A NY State permit holder cannot carry in NY City. ???

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
I have a Utah non-resident permit as well (going on 13 years now), and it has served me well when traveling. One caution - make sure you check each state law carefully. At one time there were a couple of states that would recognize a resident permit, but not a non-resident.