Adding Utah (non-resident) permit

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
R

rayzer007

I am considering taking a class this Saturday to qualify for a Utah (non-resident) carry permit, in addition to my New York State permit. This would substantially increase the number of states in which I can carry. $80 for the class includes photo, fingerprints & application ($51 due with the application). Has anyone else done this?

Ray

R

RogueLCP

I have a non-resident Utah license in addition to my Oregon CHL. Exactly the reason I got it was it gave me more states.

M

mukwah

I don't know if that would be an advantage to me as I think Louisiana reciprocates with most all other conceal carry states.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
rayzer007 said:
I am considering taking a class this Saturday to qualify for a Utah (non-resident) carry permit, in addition to my New York State permit. This would substantially increase the number of states in which I can carry. $80 for the class includes photo, fingerprints & application ($51 due with the application). Has anyone else done this?

Ray

I completed the class on July 26th. Paperworks sitting in the den, all I got to do is write the check and get it in the mail. Since Georgia and SC got into some political disagreements, they don't recognize each others CWPs. This will save me some problems in a few other States as well when travelling.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Go for it Ray, the Utah permit is very popular in Oregon. One of the most versatile & easy permits available to non-residents! Yogi 8)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Pops said:
Ray, go for it! I did and got UTAH and Florida! ;D
I'm thinking about the same for me, both non-resident of course. What differences, if any, are the requirements for the two? I have not done any investigation but I do know there's someone teaching Utah-compliant classes in my area.

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
Pops said:
Ray, go for it! I did and got UTAH and Florida! ;D
I'm thinking about the same for me, both non-resident of course. What differences, if any, are the requirements for the two? I have not done any investigation but I do know there's someone teaching Utah-compliant classes in my area.
I think basically just the cost; maybe a minor addition of a particular state law for Fla.
Ray

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Both courses are almost the same only slight differences of where you can or can't carry in each state (I think each state wants to make sure each and every permit holder knows the different nuances of thier state regs). The FL permit cost $117 for 7 years and the Utah permit cost about $80 - 85 for 5 years. I took the classes together for about $100 plus an additional charge of about $25 for fingerprinting (LE taken) and notary public charges but offset the charges with about $5 worth of doughnuts and coffee! ;)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Pops said:
Both courses are almost the same only slight differences of where you can or can't carry in each state (I think each state wants to make sure each and every permit holder knows the different nuances of thier state regs). The FL permit cost $117 for 7 years and the Utah permit cost about $80 - 85 for 5 years. I took the classes together for about $100 plus an additional charge of about $25 for fingerprinting (LE taken) and notary public charges but offset the charges with about $5 worth of doughnuts and coffee! ;)
I appreciate that, Pops. When I have a little more spare time (which is hard to come by even though I'm retired) I'll look into a local class that covers both state's requirements.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Skip and Rayzer; One more thing my instructor also gave me was signed form with the notary signing off (1 1/2 years after I took the course) that is currently with my Maine application ready to go in the mail. My NY state course was taken longer than the Maine regs of 5 years so basically I got an extra state with the training. I like the extra permits for when we travel in the car. Now if we could get the reciprocity between states.... ;)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Pops said:
I like the extra permits for when we travel in the car. Now if we could get the reciprocity between states.... ;)
If I had Utah and Florida permits, I could go most anywhere I would want to go. However, the real bummer is that I have to go through Illinois to get most anywhere I would want to go outside of Wisconsin (except for points northwest of here). That sucks because just getting caught with a handgun in the car (even if it's locked up and separated from the ammunition and magazines) is a situation that would not be at all fun.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Skip I know what you mean. When I get my Maine permit I still need to go through MA and NH. I will travel under the Federal rule of unloading them and storing them in the trunk under lock and key until I get to Maine. ???

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Pops said:
Skip I know what you mean. When I get my Maine permit I still need to go through MA and NH. I will travel under the Federal rule of unloading them and storing them in the trunk under lock and key until I get to Maine. ???
Do you have a link to something that defines the details of the Federal rule you're referring to? I would definitely appreciate that.

bobnoffs

Scout
Jun 20, 2012
northwest wi.
hi skip,
i guess i don't understand the problem if you were to get stopped in illinois with a legally stowed handgun. ya know there are hundreds of thousands of pistol and long gun shooters driving around illinois all the time going to ranges and hunting.
until a year ago it was the same in wi.
what is the problem?
bob noffs

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bobnoffs said:
hi skip,
i guess i don't understand the problem if you were to get stopped in illinois with a legally stowed handgun. ya know there are hundreds of thousands of pistol and long gun shooters driving around illinois all the time going to ranges and hunting.
until a year ago it was the same in wi.
what is the problem?
bob noffs
My understanding is that there are places (like Cook County) where pistols must be registered or the owner would be in violation by having it.

I'm also concerned about possession of a handgun in a hotel/motel in Illinois.