A Truck Gun, Fantasy or Reality - GRYlife Article

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Anyway, I'm not going to my vehicle and grabbing my rifle and going back inside. Fuck y'all!

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I am not putting myself or you above anyone else in this debate. All lives are equal to me. I would hope in the circumstance that someone would come back to help my wife or children.....not just there own and run.

As I said it depends on the situation and several factors.

-A familiar building vs an unfamiliar building
-What I'm carrying
-who and how many people are inside
-response time of LE
-What type of threat there is
-etc.....

I do believe that I will be way more likley to go back in to help get people out as opposed to going back in with the intention on finding the attacker. If I found a safe way to come and go, then I would be much more likley to go back in and direct others toward that exit, not go in looking for the shooter.

My issue is not going in to help, it's going into the situation intending to stop the threat. Obviously if the opportunity presented itself then I would take it. But while I want to help others, I do it for a living for heavens sake, I also realize that I am not trained or always equipped to go in after an attacker and I do have a family to think about. It's all about the balance of risk vs reward.

Reactions: Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
As I said it depends on the situation and several factors.

-A familiar building vs an unfamiliar building
-What I'm carrying
-who and how many people are inside
-response time of LE
-What type of threat there is
-etc.....

I do believe that I will be way more likley to go back in to help get people out as opposed to going back in with the intention on finding the attacker. If I found a safe way to come and go, then I would be much more likley to go back in and direct others toward that exit, not go in looking for the shooter.

My issue is not going in to help, it's going into the situation intending to stop the threat. Obviously if the opportunity presented itself then I would take it. But while I want to help others, I do it for a living for heavens sake, I also realize that I am not trained or always equipped to go in after an attacker and I do have a family to think about. It's all about the balance of risk vs reward.

Stopping the threat is helping. Your response is appropriate and has thought behind it. I see nothing wrong with it.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Until you grow up. I am checked out of this conversation.
It's a simple question, and a damned good one if you're asking people to go back into a dangerous situation. How do cops know who the bad guys are? What indicators would they use? The presence of a rifle would be one...at least it would make sense since most citizens don't ccw a rifle.

Sorry if that fact hurts, but that's the truth. If you think that's me being "childish" then nice try. How about just manning up and admitting that the type of weapon being carried influences how LE perceives you?

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
It's a simple question, and a damned good one if you're asking people to go back into a dangerous situation. How do cops know who the bad guys are? What indicators would they use? The presence of a rifle would be one...at least it would make sense since most citizens don't ccw a rifle.

Sorry if that fact hurts, but that's the truth. If you think that's me being "childish" then nice try. How about just manning up and admitting that the type of weapon being carried influences how LE perceives you?

Go through the academy, or any other branch of military/service personnel. Do their job for a few years and then come back to this debate. You have no experience and no idea what your talking about.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Go through the academy, or any other branch of military/service personnel. Do their job for a few years and then come back to this debate. You have no experience and no idea what your talking about.
That's what I thought. Zero response. If you had a valid reply, guess what...I would have gotten it a couple pages back.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
That's what I thought. Zero response. If you had a valid reply, guess what...I would have gotten it a couple pages back.

LOL. Jeeze man. Ill let you have the last post. This is my official walking out of this thread.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
LOL. Jeeze man. Ill let you have the last post. This is my official walking out of this thread.
And still no answer. Would you kill them all? (in the bank robber scenario) Would the presence of a long gun influence LE's perception of you as a citizen in a shooting? These are straight forward and simple questions. How do you respond? "Join the academy?" Alright man, pretend to be offended and walk out so you don't have to answer, but I'm asking. You're the self-described expert.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
An alternate title for this thread. "A truck gun can transform a self-defense situation into a Fantasy situation"

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Stopping the threat is helping. Your response is appropriate and has thought behind it. I see nothing wrong with it.
Stopping the threat is helping, yes. My line of thought is which would be more help. Evacuating people and doing basic bleeding control of those already wounded or attempting to stop the shooter. In different circumstances one may help more people then the other.

I'll give two obviously extreme examples.

1. An office building I have never been in with multiple shooters with armor and rifles. 2-300 people inside and the shooters have already made their way through the first couple floors.

This situation I think I am better prepared to remove the people and the wounded. Returning into an unfamiliar building alone with multiple shooters better equipped then me has less chance of helping then getting the ones out that I can since there is less chance of me being able to actually stop the attack if I can even find them.

2. (Sad but realistic) an elementary school with a single shooter. The teachers by this time are hopefully holed up in their classrooms. Schools are laid out pretty standard with long straight hallways.

This situation I would be more apt to go after a shooter since the chance of finding and stopping them is much higher and the chance of a teacher letting me in to help the students is pretty much non existent.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Stopping the threat is helping, yes. My line of thought is which would be more help. Evacuating people and doing basic bleeding control of those already wounded or attempting to stop the shooter. In different circumstances one may help more people then the other.

I'll give two obviously extreme examples.

1. An office building I have never been in with multiple shooters with armor and rifles. 2-300 people inside and the shooters have already made their way through the first couple floors.

This situation I think I am better prepared to remove the people and the wounded. Returning into an unfamiliar building alone with multiple shooters better equipped then me has less chance of helping then getting the ones out that I can since there is less chance of me being able to actually stop the attack if I can even find them.

2. (Sad but realistic) an elementary school with a single shooter. The teachers by this time are hopefully holed up in their classrooms. Schools are laid out pretty standard with long straight hallways.

This situation I would be more apt to go after a shooter since the chance of finding and stopping them is much higher and the chance of a teacher letting me in to help the students is pretty much non existent.
Keeping with the intent of the OP's thread:
In either scenario, would going to your vehicle to retrieve a long gun be a benefit? What happens when LE shows up?

Reactions: NEATFREQ

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Keeping with the intent of the OP's thread:
In either scenario, would going to your vehicle to retrieve a long gun be a benefit? What happens when LE shows up?

I doubt I would go get a long gun unless it is a very strange circumstance such as knowing there will be a really long response time. But around Atlanta there is a pretty good chance of at least one cop making it to the scene in the time it would take me to get out and get to the gun.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I doubt I would go get a long gun unless it is a very strange circumstance such as knowing there will be a really long response time. But around Atlanta there is a pretty good chance of at least one cop making it to the scene in the time it would take me to get out and get to the gun.
And I definitely wouldn't want to be armed at a school when the cops showed up.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
@Laufen - you carry whatever the hell you want and respond however you want. Don't worry about those that feel they have a moral obligation and warrior mindset to save innocents even after they themselves are out of harms way. And whether you have a long gun or a handgun, you will be considered a threat by law enforcement, it's a risk you chose to take when you carry a firearm. You do your thing and we will do ours. You be you, I'll be me. :)

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
And I definitely wouldn't want to be armed at a school when the cops showed up.

Like I said it's an extreme example. But if my kid is inside and the cops are not there yet I'll be damned if I am going to sit outside hearing gunshots inside.

I have pretty good situational awareness and lord knows inside an active shooter my head is on a swivel. The first inkling I got that the cops were coming in my ass would be on the floor with my gun as far away from me as possible and my hands very clearly empty. But once again it goes back to risk vs reward. If I am outside and hear the sirens then I probably wouldn't go in. If I'm in south GA where the cops may be 30 minutes out then it's a different story.

Reactions: dougiemac

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
A. Carrying without a spare magazine is stupid. Not for the extra ammo, but in case you have a magazine malfunction. I am bad about this myself.

B. If engaging a threat the type of gun I have matters not. Wrist rocket or rocket launcher I am dropping it on the ground and putting my hands in the air the moment there is any LE contact.

C. Peace out bitches.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
@Laufen - you carry whatever the hell you want and respond however you want. Don't worry about those that feel they have a moral obligation and warrior mindset to save innocents even after they themselves are out of harms way. And whether you have a long gun or a handgun, you will be considered a threat by law enforcement, it's a risk you chose to take when you carry a firearm. You do your thing and we will do ours. You be you, I'll be me. :)
Yeah, but there's a difference between a warrior mindset and an internet commando mindset. There are plenty of scenarios where I'd go back inside, and some where I wouldn't, but I'm not going to sit here, puff out my chest and claim that no matter what I'm going to the car, grabbing the AR (that never should have been there in the first place) and going back in to fight side by side with LE. That's just internet puffery. I'm trying to respond honestly, not like I just drank a case of vodka and redbull.

Reactions: scand